Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Oil change can only be done at a dealer?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 07:28 PM
plessdude is on a distinguished road
Oil change can only be done at a dealer?

I just drove 400 miles round trip to have my first 1000 mile service on my Vantage. When the car was finished I asked the tech when the next time I would need scheduled service and he told me that I had to be back in one year for an oil change. I asked him if my mechanic at home could do this seemingly simple task and he informed me that AM would not honor my warranty if something were to happen to the engine and my service record did not note that the oil change was performed at an authorized dealer. Is this even remotely true? I pushed the guy about it and he also told me that I could not purchase the oil and filter outside a dealership. How is this possible?

This is the first time I have dealt with this dealer since I bought the car used from a local non AM dealer. Are these guys just trying to force me into using that dealership?

Old 09-02-2008, 08:31 PM
lucky6600 is on a distinguished road
I don't think it's possible.
Are any other owners out there have the same problems?

Old 09-09-2008, 04:53 PM
tmtacq is on a distinguished road
Unless they provide the service for free and/or are willing to provide the parts/oil for free this will not hold up in the United States, they legally can not void a warranty if work is not performed at the dealer if either of these conditions exists - its the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, read more here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson-Moss_Warranty_Act

Old 09-10-2008, 10:21 AM
astonboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Sorry, don't see the point in this discussion. Anybody who can afford such a special car like AMV8 should be willing and able to raise the money for a proper service at the dealer.

Old 09-10-2008, 11:28 AM
stearnsn is an unknown quantity at this point
Or to pay for attorney time to advise them?

Assuming the owner makes enough to afford an AM, the cost of their time to go to the dealer for entire day getting the oil changed, plus the cost to drive the car (at least $1 per mile) and that oil change might have a true cost of well over $1000.

Last edited by stearnsn; 09-10-2008 at 11:30 AM.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:34 PM
Bobby G is on a distinguished road
Why is this about what he can afford? It's about what's reasonable and whether the dealer's statement is accurate (both legally and experientially).

Plessdude - I think the dealer is overreaching, but do a cost benefit analysis: how much will you save by having your local guy mess with your car (what if he's never done an AMV8) vs. the cost of traveling to the dealer and paying $1000 and avoiding a situation where your local guy unwittingly voids your warranty, and then you are put in a position of arguing with the dealer about whether it's legal or proper for them not to honor your warranty.

If it's $200-300, it's not worth it, IMO, and plus, while at the dealer, you can have them check out other things in your car and fix warranty issues such as rattles, etc. It doesn't ever hurt to have a rapport with your dealer's mechanics, either.

-Bobby

Old 09-10-2008, 01:45 PM
sanjay is a jewel in the roughsanjay is a jewel in the roughsanjay is a jewel in the rough
i don't think the original posters complaint is about the cost of an AM dealer oil change....but rather the fact that the nearest AM dealer is 200 miles away.

i would take it to a local high end dealer for an oil change myself --- i don't imagine AM would void warranty if the local porsche dealer did the oil change.

(would porsche even do an AM oil change?)

Old 09-10-2008, 03:22 PM
stearnsn is an unknown quantity at this point
Plessdude, why don't you take it to Bobby Rahal Aston Martin in Wexford? It's only 25 miles from your office.

Old 09-10-2008, 06:44 PM
lucky6600 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by astonboy
Sorry, don't see the point in this discussion. Anybody who can afford such a special car like AMV8 should be willing and able to raise the money for a proper service at the dealer.

Regardless, it's just a thread, and it's free world.
People can ask and post whatever they want.
it's up to you to read and reply to it.

I think as long as old change. No one would give you any hard time. however, if you start messing up with computer and stuff, that might run into problems.

Old 09-13-2008, 07:43 PM
plessdude is on a distinguished road
Wow! Ummm....so how did this question become about whether or not I can afford an oil change? I think I am good. Yes I will have to trade my food stamps in but what the heck, there are plenty of great fishing holes near me so I should be able to eat for the next month or two.

Let me try this again. An oil change, the act of draining the old oil and putting new oil in with a new filter. I have had this done on many many cars and never once did someone tell me I needed to take my car to a dealer to perform this simple task. Sure, some very high end cars might need this but an AM Vantage? Come on. Yes my dealer is 200 miles away and it is a pain in the *** to go there. There was a dealer near me, Bobby Rahal, who lost the dealership. I am stuck going to Ohio. I have a mechanic who works on everything from the high end to the obscure. Are you telling me that he is not qualified to perform a procedure on my car that most people can do on their own?

Old 09-18-2008, 05:23 PM
Bobby G is on a distinguished road
Pless - you might actually post this on the amoc website. Or, you might call AM of north america to get their position on the issue.