Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

2009 DB9 Predicament

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 10:04 PM
abacusfin is on a distinguished road
2009 DB9 Predicament

Hey guys,

To start I just want to thank everyone here for all of their help regarding my search for a DB9. Well the deal on the 08 DB9 fell through and I have been searching for an 09 DB9. I think ive finally found one however I find myself in a similar situation regarding the price of the car. They are offering the car to me at 175k. It is a brand new 2009 db9. Do you think that this is a good discount seeing as though the 2010 cars are on the horizon? I read somewhere else on this forum that Aston is doing as much as 50k off on these cars. I think that may be a little on the high side but as I am inexperienced with these cars I really have no idea. I thought a 20k discount was a good deal but now im not so sure. I would really appreciate any and all insight anyone may have regarding my situation. Once again I thank you all in advance and I look forward to reading your replies.

Old 06-19-2009, 06:55 AM
ddozier is on a distinguished road
Not sure about the DB9's but the 08 Vantage was deeply discounted when the 09's started rolling in, my local dealer had three convertables and they were offering your choice of any of them for $99,900.00 they had 129 - 134,000 stickers. I would think there is more room in your deal but you need to know how much 09 DB9 Inventories are out there to get an idea. Untill the 2010 units hit the shore they may not be any more motivated than they are with the 20,000 off.

A quick look at Autotrader turned up 129 units new and used for sale. I am thinking they have plenty of inventory. I could be wrong but I think there is more room for you in the deal.

This dealer is listing 20 2009 units for sale: 20 in Stock at Jaguar Land Rover Newport Beach
and 17 Vantage in Stock at Jaguar Land Rover Newport Beach, should be a motivated seller if the cars are really there.

I know they are on the other side of the country from you but shipping the car would only be 2k or so if you could get another 10-15k off it would be worth it, maybe.

Best of luck

Dave

Last edited by ddozier; 06-19-2009 at 07:07 AM.
Old 06-19-2009, 07:17 AM
Thank you for your reply Dave I will call them this afternoon.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:11 AM
Sandpointe is on a distinguished road
This dealer is listing 20 2009 units for sale: 20 in Stock at Jaguar Land Rover Newport Beach
and 17 Vantage in Stock at Jaguar Land Rover Newport Beach, should be a motivated seller if the cars are really there.

Dave[/quote]

I was at this dealership last Saturday. I didn't see that many, but I didn't actually go into the backside/warehouse. I did see a couple in the show room. They had a DBS in there as well. I am a similar situation, well if I ever decide DB9 or Maser GTS. I am leaning toward the AM right now.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:48 AM
ddozier is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Sandpointe
I am a similar situation, well if I ever decide DB9 or Maser GTS. I am leaning toward the AM right now.
I do not have an in with the AM but I have a very good friend who is the managing partner for a Maser/Bentley/Lambo/Lotus dealership, I would be happy to get you guys together and try to save you some money if possible. Either way I know this guy well and he is a straight shooter, I have done lots of work for them in the past and will do bussiness with them in the future.

Let me know if would like me to get you guys together you can send me a PM.

Dave

Last edited by ddozier; 06-23-2009 at 01:19 PM.
Old 06-19-2009, 02:32 PM
Red Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to all
I'm pretty sure 2009 DB9 inventories were kept low b/c dealers knew what was going on with the economy. No question a good part of your leverage comes from supply and demand. In order to see deep discounts, the manufacturer MUST be involved as the real dealer cost, usually less than invoice, isn't that great. I agree with those that said you should look nationally and it depends how set on color, coupe or convertible and transmission you are also. If you are after something common like an auto volante in silver, gray or black then I'd sit back. if on the other hand it was a white 6-speed coupe, then you better get busy.

Old 06-20-2009, 06:33 PM
Sandpointe is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ddozier
I do not have an in with the AM but I have a very good friend who is the managing partner for a Maser/Bentley/Lambo/Lotus dealership, I would be happy to get you guys together and try to save you some money if possible. Either way I know this guy well and he is a straight shooter, I have done lots of work for them in the past and will do bussiness with them in the future.

Let me know if would like me to get you guys together you can email me at ddozier12@yahoo.com.

Dave

Thanks Dave. If I do choose the GTS I will reach out to you. In the mean time do you know your buddy's dealership's website? I'd like to take a look.

Old 06-20-2009, 06:53 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys I really appreciate all of your insight. I am actually looking for a black on black automatic coupe... Nothing too out of the ordinary. I found a few more cars in California that are worth a look but again I dont know where to start negotiations. Do you think 165k on an 09 black black db9 coupe is a fair deal or am I pushing it?

Old 06-21-2009, 05:47 AM
Red Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to all
Originally Posted by abacusfin
Thanks for all the replies guys I really appreciate all of your insight. I am actually looking for a black on black automatic coupe... Nothing too out of the ordinary. I found a few more cars in California that are worth a look but again I dont know where to start negotiations. Do you think 165k on an 09 black black db9 coupe is a fair deal or am I pushing it?
I think coupe production is 2 out of ten, but what's out there right now will tell the whole story. Did you use A-M dealer locator and then visit each dealer's website and check inventory? This is time consuming at the computer, but very helpful. Quicker, but less accurate, is dupont registry online or autotrader. The car you mentioned above is MSRP around 200? I would say you should offer 150. And you most certainly should be "pushing it" as you are in the driver's seat. I ALWAYS make low offers on multiple cars (exact or similar assuming they exist), and this very quickly establishes who's in the game or not. Most of the deals/prices I've achieved over the years are ones that I've been told by other dealers can't/don't exist. Sadly for them and good for me is they did/do and the cars were/are in my garage. Take no prisoners and don't be squeamish. I had some A-hole Mercedes salesman once tell me "he wouldn't tarnish the brand by entering into a bidding war for my business." I laughed and said that maybe he should work for Saturn where it's a fixed price and I was certain he and his bosses always gave their customers the best price. NOT! Sports/luxury cars are a depreciating asset no one really needs, and especially in this economy the buyer has more clout than ever. Use it!

Old 06-23-2009, 09:16 AM
noladb9 is on a distinguished road
I just went through negotiating a new '09 DB9 and you're not going to get much lower than the $175k on a new vehicle. Dealer cost is around $165k and just because they may have a lot of inventory doesn't mean they are going to take a loss on them now.

2010 model deliveries won't happen in NA until around November. So, if you can wait, the '09 may get discounted some more, but there's no garuantee that what you want will be available then. And the '10 will be a limited run and the retail will be closer to $200k that they won't budge much on. They will do that to try to talk you into a discounted '09 and hope that you will settle for what's available.

I got mine from Star Motor Cars in Houston and they have a number still in stock - including a black on black....if you're interested in talking with them. They found mine in port in New Jersey...so it had never even been driven to a dealership. Took delivery with 38 miles and then drove it for five hours back to New Orleans....loved every second of it

Good luck!

Last edited by noladb9; 06-23-2009 at 09:18 AM.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:45 PM
Thank you all for all of your replies. Red Devil I do believe you are correct in my taking the upper hand with the dealer and trying to get a lower price. I put in a phone call today and I'm waiting on approval from the GM. I offered 150k but realistically im trying to land somewhere between 160 and 165. Now im not discounting what youve said Noladb9 in fact I appreciate your insight however my dealer seemed willing to work something out below the 175k level so I guess I'll have to wait and see. Out of curiosity Noladb9 what kind of deal did you get on your db9? You dont have to post the figure you can PM me if you feel comfortable sharing. Thanks again for all of the replies they were very helpful. Hopefully I can get this deal done by next week and I will be sure to post pictures as soon as the car arrives.

Old 06-24-2009, 06:04 AM
If dealer cost is around 165, I'm thinking they would move it out at this price given the overall market/economy. It's a game of chicken and it pays to hang in there as long as you can. PM me your final result, if you don't mind sharing such info as to what the MSRP was and the agreed-to price. Good luck!

Old 06-24-2009, 06:15 AM
noladb9 is on a distinguished road
My negotiated price was between $170k - $175k. I have the sports pack, front parking sensors, high spec alarm and painted calipers. Some of the options will obviously affect the final price. If I wouldn't have the options I just mentioned, the car would have been around $10k or more cheaper. I was originally going to wait until the '10's when they were due in NA around August / September...but when I heard it was pushed to November at the earliest and I changed my mind about color options, there was an '09 waiting to be picked up.

I may have been able to get a better price if I searched all of the dealers and really worked it, but in the end, I liked the guys at Star and Houston is the closest dealer to me. I would have then had some added costs for shipping going with someone else, where I could take a 45 minute flight to Houston for $100 and drive back.

Good luck!