Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Finally made a cover for V8 Vantage cubby

Old 09-07-2023, 02:38 PM
Patrick Fitzhorn is on a distinguished road
Finally made a cover for V8 Vantage cubby

August 2020 I put a message in the For Sale / Wanted section of 6SpeedOnline looking for a swatch of Sandstorm leather. I wanted to build a cover for the "black hole" cubby between the seats of the Vantage. I'm sure it doesn't look bad in a black interior, but in a light Sandstorm interior it just looks unfinished to my eye. Stuff crammed in there is visible - just didn't look right. Photo 1 shows a picture of the black hole,photo 2 is a digital pic of what I wanted to build. Just needed the right color leather. After calling and texting around, nothing. So I created an eBay "watchlist" search of: "aston martin" (tan,beige,sandstorm) (glovebox,"glove box") since after measuring the opening it was clear that any AM glovebox cover would have enough leather and would probably provide good underlying structure to retool into a cubby cover. Every so often I'd get a result, go to eBay, check it out. If it looked more or less like sandstorm, and if the ad had a VIN, I'd check out the VIN # to see what color interior the car had. Finally, last month I hit paydirt! A 2007 DB9 glove box cover in sandstorm. Bought it. In the meantime I had found a chrome hanger (like the ones on the panels behind the seats on a V8 Vantage and bought it.

Carefully removed the sandstorm leather front and the black leather rear. I then used a jigsaw with plastic cutting blade to cut the sides off and saved them. The top side was perfect for the cubby cover. Then marked the dimensions of the cubby minus the width of the plastic sides and minus about 1/8" for the leather thickness. Cut out the cubby shape. Glued the sides back on and test fit. Needed some sanding as it was too tight. Finally got the geometry correct. Carefully glued the sandstorm leather on the front. Did not do an excellent job on corners but they're serviceable. Cut the black leather that was on the back of the glove box cover and glued to the back of the cubby cover. Installed the chrome hanger. A lot of hand work but it looks nice IMHO. Turns out the DB9 glove box was the perfect starting point. Looks good in my opinion. I decided against the AM logo stitched into the leather - too hard to align correctly (for me anyway) and a bit costly.

Old 09-07-2023, 03:34 PM
95viper is an unknown quantity at this point
Nice

Old 09-07-2023, 04:19 PM
Import will become famous soon enough
Good job…looks great..

Old 09-07-2023, 07:15 PM
Hedged is a jewel in the roughHedged is a jewel in the roughHedged is a jewel in the rough
Looking good....I have an Obsidian Black interior but am still subconsciously aware of what kind of mess I’ve stowed in there.

Old 09-08-2023, 03:28 PM
khiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond repute
GREAT result, thanks!

Old 09-10-2023, 07:44 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
looks OEM. well done!