Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

AM V8V for someone who 'ran into money'?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 09:41 PM
Sopcich04 is on a distinguished road
AM V8V for someone who 'ran into money'?

Hi, i am new to this site, i've been on other sites questioning other cars, trying to find the right one. I came back from overseas about a year ago and decided to invest my money into the market. As most of you can tell, it went on a bullish run and well now I'm sitting on a good pile.

I am a college student, so i was wondering if the AMV8V is a reliable car or is it high maintenance?? If something goes wrong, am i out of luck, or is it a rare occurence, get it fixed and i am on my way?

My other option is a Viper gts/srt-10, from what i have read they are reliable and parts are relatively inexpensive compared to other cars in that price range.

Any advice would be great and helpful, i dont plan on modding any cars or tracking them, of course there will be some street fun. Thank you for reading this!

--Scott

Old 08-28-2009, 12:06 AM
XXXAngelXXX has a little shameless behaviour in the past
i had 3 V8Vs as daily drivers and now a DBS as a daily driver - they are not more or less reliable than a Porsche or a Merc..... i don't know about the Viper......

Old 08-28-2009, 08:08 AM
Snake Doctor is on a distinguished road
The V8 Vantage is quite popular on the forum, by browsing a little you can find a wealth of info, and many discussions regarding reliability.

Old 08-28-2009, 10:30 AM
Sopcich04 is on a distinguished road
Ok thank you. i've read about the clutch and it seems to be hit or miss

Old 08-28-2009, 07:09 PM
bubba is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Sopcich04
Hi, i am new to this site, i've been on other sites questioning other cars, trying to find the right one. I came back from overseas about a year ago and decided to invest my money into the market. As most of you can tell, it went on a bullish run and well now I'm sitting on a good pile.

I am a college student, so i was wondering if the AMV8V is a reliable car or is it high maintenance?? If something goes wrong, am i out of luck, or is it a rare occurence, get it fixed and i am on my way?

My other option is a Viper gts/srt-10, from what i have read they are reliable and parts are relatively inexpensive compared to other cars in that price range.

Any advice would be great and helpful, i dont plan on modding any cars or tracking them, of course there will be some street fun. Thank you for reading this!

--Scott
Talk about apples and oranges! The V8V and Viper are nearly as far apart as two automobiles can be. The Aston is a civil GT, with a hint of sports car. The Viper is nearly a race car, with a hint of sports car.
Additionally, when contrasting the quality of materials and build quality of the two, it's hard believe they're built on the same planet! I love the Viper, but these two cars aren't really comparable.
- My suggestion:
If you're really interested in a Viper and can swing more ca$h, go for a Ford GT. They're rare, they're very well built, they look bad-***, they're pants wetting fast... and, one will probably never be worth less than what you can buy one for now... $125,000ish will buy one.
Anyway...
As others have stated, the V8V is as reliable as anything else. - Maintenance costs are low(ish) - more than Porsche, but still much less than any "real" exotic.

... just my two cents worth.

Old 08-28-2009, 10:32 PM
lawin is a jewel in the roughlawin is a jewel in the roughlawin is a jewel in the rough
i have a db9 and the service is usually about 1200 bucks per year to do the usual oil changes and checks. however the pricey stuff comes when you start wearing through the consumables. i just got brake pads, rotors, and e-brake pads which set me back just shy of 4k installed. clutch is next and will be just shy of 5k installed. my car has 25k miles. best of luck.

Old 08-28-2009, 10:55 PM
Jay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud of
Don't forget to factor insurance costs into your equation.

Old 08-30-2009, 07:27 PM
tourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud of
That is one odd set of cars you have put your eyes on. I'm extremely torn on adding a vantage to the garage, but i would not drive a viper if all I had to do was pay the tax to cover the car, so i just don't see how they could be compared. If it were my pile of money I would by a second hand AM V8 and reinvest the rest as it seems to have worked for you in the past. good luck