Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

<< Savini Forged + Aston Martin >>

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 06:00 PM
Former Vendor
Wheel Studio is a splendid one to beholdWheel Studio is a splendid one to beholdWheel Studio is a splendid one to beholdWheel Studio is a splendid one to beholdWheel Studio is a splendid one to beholdWheel Studio is a splendid one to beholdWheel Studio is a splendid one to behold
<< Savini Forged + Aston Martin >>

Got these sweet shots from KC Trendz, Savini 22" SV8S on a sweet DB9. What do you guys think?

Old 01-27-2010, 09:43 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Terrible. What a way to 'gansta' a class automobile.

Whoever is responsible for those monstrosities on a DB9 should have his car taken away.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:40 AM
Michael 996TT will become famous soon enough
They would look horrible on a Jag too ...

Old 01-28-2010, 10:51 AM
Former Vendor
Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !
I won't comment on the wheel style - that's just down to personal taste and is highly subjective.

22" on the other hand strikes me as far too big for that car. I'd be sticking to 20", or at the very least upgrading the brakes. Small increments are manageable, but moving the rotating mass of that wheel and tire 2" futher from the axis of rotation is going to require considerably more braking power to stop it.

The rotational inertia of the wheel/tire mass goes up as a square of the radius rather than arithmetically so the force required to stop it goes up pretty quickly. If you're going from a factory 18" or 19" to an aftermarket 20" the increase in the moment of inertia is to a large extent mitigated by the decrease in mass of the wheel, so you're probably within a reasonable amount of change. A 22" wheel though, is not likely to be lighter than a 20" assuming the same method of construction. If that were my car I would be very, very interested in a braking upgrade...

Old 01-28-2010, 11:20 AM
Former Vendor
Wheel Studio is a splendid one to beholdWheel Studio is a splendid one to beholdWheel Studio is a splendid one to beholdWheel Studio is a splendid one to beholdWheel Studio is a splendid one to beholdWheel Studio is a splendid one to beholdWheel Studio is a splendid one to behold
Sadly, we don't have any good Jag pics to share.

Another DB9 application shot, this time with color-matched SV4's. Still a little big on the car, but 20" looks a little small to most of our AM customers.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:28 AM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Stuart@RSC
...The rotational inertia of the wheel/tire mass goes up as a square of the radius rather than arithmetically so the force required to stop it goes up pretty quickly. If you're going from a factory 18" or 19" to an aftermarket 20" the increase in the moment of inertia is to a large extent mitigated by the decrease in mass of the wheel, so you're probably within a reasonable amount of change. A 22" wheel though, is not likely to be lighter than a 20" assuming the same method of construction. If that were my car I would be very, very interested in a braking upgrade...
While it's true that there is certainly an increase in mass as well as moment of inertia when upgrading to a 22" wheel from a factory 19" or similar, it's not as large as you'd think.

When comparing a 3pc forged wheel with a factory cast wheel, much more of the mass resides in the center on the 3pc wheel - the spokes themselves are very light, and the forged barrels are also as light as possible. In addition, you're almost always using a smaller/lighter tire as well. This is why you often have a better moment of inertia with a larger aftermarket forged wheel than with your smaller factory cast wheel, even if they're the same weight.

As most owners of top-of-the-line 3pc forged wheels on their luxury/exotic can tell you, even if you feel a difference in ride when going to larger wheels with lower profile tires (not always the case), the performance is not appreciably effected - thus, satisfied customers who now have the custom look they desire and it's "worth it".

Old 01-28-2010, 12:04 PM
Former Vendor
Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !
I agree with you - the weight and overall construction of an aftermarket 3 piece wheel means you can go up in size from a factory cast wheel without a significant change in the moment of inertia, or perhaps even a slight improvement.

However... I would still worry about going from a 19 to a 22 without upgrading the brakes. Assuming mass is constant there's a 34 percent difference in moment of inertia. That's a fair bit of mass reduction and relocation to equalize.

Anyway, I'm fully in support of upgrading to aftermarket wheels, there's lots of benefits, not the least of which is appearance.

Originally Posted by Wheel Studio
While it's true that there is certainly an increase in mass as well as moment of inertia when upgrading to a 22" wheel from a factory 19" or similar, it's not as large as you'd think.

When comparing a 3pc forged wheel with a factory cast wheel, much more of the mass resides in the center on the 3pc wheel - the spokes themselves are very light, and the forged barrels are also as light as possible. In addition, you're almost always using a smaller/lighter tire as well. This is why you often have a better moment of inertia with a larger aftermarket forged wheel than with your smaller factory cast wheel, even if they're the same weight.

As most owners of top-of-the-line 3pc forged wheels on their luxury/exotic can tell you, even if you feel a difference in ride when going to larger wheels with lower profile tires (not always the case), the performance is not appreciably effected - thus, satisfied customers who now have the custom look they desire and it's "worth it".

Last edited by Stuart Dickinson; 01-28-2010 at 03:07 PM.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:40 PM
astonboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Poor cars ... getting pimped in such a primitive way!

Old 01-28-2010, 07:12 PM
got_hp? has a spectacular aura aboutgot_hp? has a spectacular aura about
the second one is tolerable, but the first one is just tracky.....unfortunately having lots of money cannot buy you good taste.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:47 PM
amdspitfire is on a distinguished road
ruines the cars lines

Old 01-28-2010, 08:13 PM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
cool pics....

Old 01-28-2010, 09:29 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Wheel Studio
Sadly, we don't have any good Jag pics to share.

Another DB9 application shot, this time with color-matched SV4's. Still a little big on the car, but 20" looks a little small to most of our AM customers.

Even worse than the first photo, if you can believe it. The front wheel is particularly cheap and nasty looking. Please stop these travesties to good taste.

Old 01-29-2010, 07:54 AM
These 1-piece HRE's are proper AM wheels...not those 3-piece nasties.

Attached Images  
Old 01-29-2010, 03:16 PM
Red Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to all
I'm sure that car on 22's shakes and shudders something awful when on anything but the smoothest roads. My car on 19's needs some improvement in that area and I've had half-baked thoughts of changing to 18's to get a little more rubber underneath me.

Old 01-29-2010, 03:40 PM
trovan is just really nicetrovan is just really nicetrovan is just really nicetrovan is just really nice
i don't think james bond would drive them with those wheels, even if his life is endangered!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: << Savini Forged + Aston Martin >>