Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

User satisfaction for AM?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 02:25 AM
1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all
User satisfaction for AM?

Hey all, I'm inquiring about your overall satisfaction w/AM. That is, reliability, after-sale svc (I'm sure that varies with each dealer) etc.

Especially the new DB9 and DBS.

Thanks.

Old 06-19-2010, 05:48 AM
jaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to behold
I have had my vantage for nearly 3 years. I have had no issues that have stopped the car from driving. Prior to this, I have had performance cars from every German company including 5 Porsches. The reliability is similar. The satisfaction is much greater. There were little issues like the gas cap sticking and a stereo failure but they were handled easily by the dealer. I had similar problems with Porsche and Mercedes. My Audi was a nightmare. BMW has been bullet proof. I have kept this car longer than any other. It is only the impending expiring warranty that has me thinking of trading it in. Oh by the way, I'll be trading it in for another AM.

Old 06-19-2010, 11:07 AM
M13
M13 is on a distinguished road
Research your specific/local dealership, as that's the "X" factor. The AM line-up itself is sound and well engineered and built, however the AM service I'v received has been low grade... Again, specific to a single dealership.

Compared to Porsche, which is truely the gold standard in reliable performance cars, the biggest issue will be the lack of "service" alternatives once you grow tired of the dealership...and you likely will!

Old 06-19-2010, 12:09 PM
DonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant future
I've been taking my '07 Vantage to Marin for warranty work this last year since Cole in Walnut Creek is no longer authorized for warranty work. My dealings with Marin have been good for the couple of warranty issues I've had; they are not the least expensive when it comes to out-of-pocket parts charages (Cole is cheaper on those I have checked-they still do Aston maintenance, however); normal service rates are nominally higher than I would expect, but then the car is not "normal" either . I can't comment on the dealer in Los Gatos, as I have not dealt with them at all...they are further away than Marin for me (Cole was only 5 miles, and I was disappointed when I found out that they no longer sell new Astons). At least we have a choice of dealers, which is better than many other areas.

I can't comment on how the dealers would handle a DBS or DB9 customer; Bradd in service and Andy in sales (at Marin) have treated me fairly; I'm just about to bite the bullet and pony up the money for the 2 yr. extended AM warranty for my Vantage. I've not had any "serious" issues, but Murphys law would certainly kick in with a major repair if I didn't buy the extended warranty.

If you don't need the rear seats, perhaps the soon-to-be-available V12 Vantage would suit your needs . We still get "looks" when my wife and I are out for a drive in the Vantage, and the drivers grin can't be beat . Whatever you purchase, you'll certainly enjoy driving it, as well as looking at it in your garage!

Old 06-19-2010, 04:18 PM
Michael 996TT will become famous soon enough
Had my Vantage ('07) for 3 yrs - experience has been just the same as any new P-car - no major issues. AM and P-car dealers here in Tampa Bay are good - provide a good customer experience after purchase. Also have good independent shops here. I would recommend buying an AM to anyone !

Old 06-19-2010, 10:53 PM
1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all
Very good. Thank you all. This has somewhat assuaged my concerns about a few horror stories I've heard from two different AM Vantage owners- one who is a forum member here. His turn-off was a bad dealer experience (the only one closest to him); the other AM owner was one who stated that after the factory-tour and actually getting into his own AM, he had quite a few problems, and ultimately dumped his for a Porsche. The former, I don't know which direction he went with a replacement, but I'm pretty certain he unloaded his AM, too.

For me, and a few other close associates of mine looking to purchase an AM, though the Vantage is a great car (and one will be purchased for one of our wives), by and large we want the longer wheelbase of the DBS... of course, that's just an excuse for all the other attributes of that model.

I'll pass the word to my friends. Thanks!

As per DonL's post, yes I too am familiar with Cole European. Great place, nice staff as far as I can tell; and I was very disappointed to hear they lost their AM franchise. They are fairly close to me geographically, so Marin is a bit father, but what choice do I have for warranty work? I have also met Andy (Marin) at the car show SF Moscone center last Nov; I really liked him and sensed a zero-bull guy I could work with.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:17 PM
stearnsn is an unknown quantity at this point
Far fewer rattles and squeaks in the AM vs. Porsche. No real problems with the AM. Aftermarket is pretty thin.