Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models
View Poll Results: Do you use the Nav installed in your AM? or use another one you bought?
I use the NAV installed in my AM car from factory
63.33%
I use one I bought, the AM nav is piece of crap
36.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

I had my fill

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 04:07 PM
donahdi is a glorious beacon of lightdonahdi is a glorious beacon of lightdonahdi is a glorious beacon of lightdonahdi is a glorious beacon of lightdonahdi is a glorious beacon of light
Thumbs down I had my fill

I have made up my mind.. I can not take the GPS navigation system that is installed in the DBS.. it's a piece of crap.. I was sitting in my friends 2010 VW golf the other day and I saw how his navigation is interacting with him.. it was astonishing by far.. I am in the market to find the best kind.. your experiences and advice is really appreciated..

I have a questing though.. did anyone try to hook up a different navigation software to the fixed Aston Martin screen? is it doable?

on a slightly different note, TomTom navigation has the option of alerting you if there is a speed camera coming up.. I tried it in Italy, it worked like a charm.. Does Garmin Nuvi 3700 Series have this option?

Please help me pick the best Nav..

thanks everyone..

Old 06-24-2010, 06:54 PM
gekko will become famous soon enoughgekko will become famous soon enough
Don't even get me started on the AM Sat Nav . . .

I'm using a TomTom 720 I bought about 18 months ago and very happy with it!

Old 06-24-2010, 10:13 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
I love polls that have incomplete options.

How about none? I have something called a map. I usually look at it before going somewhere if I don't know where I'm going. Works remarkably well...

Old 06-25-2010, 12:22 AM
Originally Posted by XJRS Owner

How about none? I have something called a map. I usually look at it before going somewhere if I don't know where I'm going. Works remarkably well...
hahaha - you sound like my dad, where as I'll punch it into the Sat Nav and hope for the best.

Old 06-25-2010, 04:16 AM
donahdi is a glorious beacon of lightdonahdi is a glorious beacon of lightdonahdi is a glorious beacon of lightdonahdi is a glorious beacon of lightdonahdi is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by gekko
Don't even get me started on the AM Sat Nav . . .

I'm using a TomTom 720 I bought about 18 months ago and very happy with it!
@gekko: where do you mount it? there isn't much space left in the car..

@XJRS Owner: it's like saying go to the library to find out information J/K

Old 06-25-2010, 06:11 AM
Swoody is just really niceSwoody is just really niceSwoody is just really niceSwoody is just really niceSwoody is just really nice
I can't think of one place I've gone yet where it needed to be employed. All it is to me (so far) is a square cutout on the top of my dash! Is it really so bad??? I guess I'll have to give it a job and see where it leads me!

Old 06-25-2010, 06:41 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
i LOVE my Garmin

Old 06-25-2010, 07:11 AM
Originally Posted by Swoody
I can't think of one place I've gone yet where it needed to be employed. All it is to me (so far) is a square cutout on the top of my dash! Is it really so bad??? I guess I'll have to give it a job and see where it leads me!
did you try to hook up a different navigation software to the fixed Aston Martin screen? is it doable?

Originally Posted by telum01
i LOVE my Garmin
@ telum01 : does it warn you if a speed camera is coming up?

Old 06-25-2010, 08:36 AM
noladb9 is on a distinguished road
I use my 9500ci to warn me about speed cameras I rarely use my sat nav anyway. The most time I've spend using the nav was actually not in my AM, but in a Volvo XC 90 wagon that has the exact same system. I spent a few weeks in the UK late last month and earlier this month and it actually worked perfectly. I had no clue where I was going and I used that thing to get everywhere and it was never wrong...and I drove all over the UK from Manchester to Wales to Newport Pagnell to Cumbria to Edinburgh and London. So I've actually had a very good experience with the system. How it compares to others I really can't say just because I usually don't need it, but based on my recent stint with it, I wouldn't be afraid to use it and trust it.

Old 06-25-2010, 11:14 AM
lawin is a jewel in the roughlawin is a jewel in the roughlawin is a jewel in the rough
i use my garmin and have it attached to the upper left corner of the windshield. aston nav is terrible.

Old 06-25-2010, 01:12 PM
Originally Posted by gekko
hahaha - you sound like my dad, where as I'll punch it into the Sat Nav and hope for the best.
I have it mounted just under the Rear View mirror and works very well. Not sure about the Gamin mounting bracket, but the TomTom is perfect for a snug fit under the mirror. (Picture attached)

To others - what's the problem with the Aston Martin Sat Nav?
- Loses the signal very easy
- Slow to keep up at high speeds
- Lanes changes & exit instructions very poor
- Poor Visual display
- Input takes too long
- Ok the kicker - I input the same address into the AM Sat Nav & my Tom Tom - The AM will take me in the most ridiculous routes every possible to man . . . and that my friends is what ticks me off! Sometimes I think the car just doesn't want to go home..

Last edited by gekko; 06-25-2010 at 04:57 PM. Reason: spzling
Old 06-25-2010, 06:42 PM
TheAMV8 is on a distinguished road
How about adding the following poll option: I use the factory nav and it's a piece of crap

Old 06-25-2010, 07:25 PM
GAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to behold

When's the last time a map told you about the location of a speed camera? How about the closest <insert favorite restaurant here> to exit xx?

Old 06-25-2010, 07:41 PM
Lee Willis is a jewel in the roughLee Willis is a jewel in the roughLee Willis is a jewel in the rough
I drove my Aston for the two years I had it and left the sat nav off the whole time: just checking it out one time, the first day i owned it, and again when i sold it to show the new owner it did in fact work. I will say the system was way better than that in my new F430, but it doesn't matter since it, too, was turned on once (at the dealer) to make sure it works, and will remain off from now on.
If you know where you going and you don't get lost, then you don't need a nav system -- got by for 30 years without one and will continue to. I don't need to know where the speed cameras are because I don't speed unless I know the road is clear -- wouldn't trust the system anyway.

Old 06-26-2010, 12:40 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by donahdi
@ telum01 : does it warn you if a speed camera is coming up?
unfortunately no

but it does indicate when you're speeding the mph indicator turns bright red.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I had my fill