Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

considering Aston any help

Old 02-04-2011, 11:27 AM
Jersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to behold
considering Aston any help

I do realize I am asking on an Aston forum but I know alot of you have had and still have do multiple cars. I am a 7 times P car guy on my 3rd Turbo. Have no reason at all to consider another brand but think the AM is a beautiful car and I do like change. I stuck with Porsche not only because of performance but fit, finish and overall quality have never disappointed.
How do you guys feel about not only the looks and exclusivity but the overall drivability and quality of the AM. I love the lines of the Vantage and would look at that or possibly a DB9. Thanks for the help in advance.
JS

Old 02-04-2011, 11:48 AM
Red Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to all
I went from a modified Turbo to a DB9, mostly for the sheer beauty of the car. I think there are more minor issues to be had with something not mass-produced, but F & F are fine. It's not a bad drive either, but very different than a Porsche. Your best bet is drive one a couple times, that's what I did. If you want to trek out to Long Island when the weather clears, you'd be welcome to drive mine.

Old 02-04-2011, 11:56 AM
Jersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to behold
Thanks Red Devil. My next step was a test drive. Are you happy with the overall handling and reliability ?

Old 02-04-2011, 02:37 PM
AXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to behold
Aston's are very bespoke when compared to the competition. Having owned a a C-5, a 911, and an Audi R8, my V8 Vantage is tailor made, hand stitched, perfect paint, and much more upscale. These vehicles are best purchased used though (except perhaps the V12 Vantage).

Old 02-04-2011, 03:08 PM
alevine has a spectacular aura aboutalevine has a spectacular aura about
I too have been lucky enough to own several desirable cars including a modded 996TT. The fit, finish and material in the AM are head and shoulders above anything I have ever owned. I was close to purchasing a F360 prior to the Vantage but I just could not get comfortable with the interior fit and finish of the F. I know it's about the driving experience, etc. but I wanted to be pampered in style! I wish the Vantage had a little more grunt but at the end of the day it is a fantastic and very reliable car. Here is Chicago Porsche's are very common. I rarely would get a stare or even noticed in the 996TT, even with an OEM GT2 body kit installed! The AM is another story. People really appreciate what this car is and the exclusivity. I have only seen 3 or 4 on the road other than mine since I purchased it 3 years ago. I would purchase another in a heartbeat.

Old 02-04-2011, 05:11 PM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
AM is in a completely different league ... to me porsche is on same level as MB & BMW ... its a german car trying to be an exotic.

AM is a truly different class of car and you see the fit & finish improvement ESPECIALLY over the 996s (which lets be honest look like they came straight out of VW). 997s were significantly improved on the interior, and is a performance marvel, but they have their set of issues as well.

As Jay Leno put it: its not the fastest car, or the most powerful, or has the best performance specs ....... but you WILL fall in love with the car (in a way you never thought possible).

Buy AM, you will probably never look back at your previously owned cars the same way ever again. I'm never selling my vantage ... you would have to pry it from my dead cold lifeless fingers

I hope that answers your questions

________
Rossy_Hot live

Last edited by 007 Vantage; 08-24-2011 at 12:08 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:45 AM
Thanks everyone. If I want to try a Vantage 1st purchase as a used vehicle what year would you recommend. Going new is not a problem but 1st time out I may want to go used.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:19 AM
dicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of light
Aston made some nice changes to the Vantage in 2009. Engine went from 4.3L to 4.7L and HP went up by 40. They also simplified the controls on the dashboard. If you get a 2009, you may still have some factory warranty left and that's good when buying a used car. I bought my 2008 used last July and it still had 2-years factory warranty left, which was good because I had a clutch failure, mechanical not wear, that was fully covered. You also want to consider Manual vs Auto. The manual is much sportier, but the auto is nice if you drive a lot in traffic. I have a manual and love it.

Last edited by dicktahoe; 02-05-2011 at 09:21 AM.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:06 AM
One last question. I will go for a 6 speed definitely but would consider a cab as the I know the wife will like it too. Are the cabs rigid enough and will I lose any trunk space. I have had P car TT's both coupe and cab and felt the car held it's integrity in a cab.
If I do this we can talk mods later.
JS

Old 02-05-2011, 12:55 PM
keitheva is a glorious beacon of lightkeitheva is a glorious beacon of lightkeitheva is a glorious beacon of lightkeitheva is a glorious beacon of lightkeitheva is a glorious beacon of lightkeitheva is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Jersey Shore
will I lose any trunk space
Boot capacity (Coupe): 10.6 ft3
Boot capacity (Roadster): 5.0 ft3

Old 02-05-2011, 06:27 PM
kba
kba is on a distinguished road
I have a 2010 roadster and there is only trunk space for 2 weekend bags or groceries. If this will be an all-out daily driver – have fun. As dicktahoe stated, there are vast differences between the 2008 and below and 2009 and above models. When I was purchasing my Vantage I didn’t even look at 2008 and below models. Also, there were fewer than 10 used cars on the market and approx. 30 new cars on the market – so I pretty much had to buy new. I would recommend buying used though (under 5K miles). Also, coming from a Porsche, I’d go with the Vantage over the DB9 as they are more sports-car like (which is why I choose the Vantage). This is my first sports car so I cannot compare its fit and finish to other sports cars. However, I will say that I’m so happy with the marque that I will always have an Aston Martin in my garage for the rest of my life.

Old 02-06-2011, 06:20 AM
nacelle is on a distinguished road
JS...

I owned a number of Porsches through the 2000's and had lusted after the V8V from the launch. Finally made the plunge and picked up a new '10 late last fall. The deals on new '10's were very very good and I would expect that you can find a new '10 at considerable savings. The F and F is great, the car creates conversations with strangers everywhere you take it, the exclusivity, if important to you, is obvious by the excitement it generates when on the street. It is thrilling to drive. The interior, when compared with Porsche, is by far superior IMO. This car is altogether at another level on the luxury scale. Not having placed that many miles on the car yet, owing to when I picked it up, the drivability discussion is best left to others here but many of us have come from Porsche models, though thus far my experience leaves me thoroughly satisfied.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:32 AM
scottblack has a spectacular aura aboutscottblack has a spectacular aura aboutscottblack has a spectacular aura about
I love my 2007 and have really enjoyed driving it. That being said, get the 4.7L if you can. The problem is that you will have a very limited selection of MT cars, as well as colors. So if you want something other than the German colors (being a Porsche guy that might be preferable to you) and a 6 speed manual, you may have to order new to get exactly what you want.

Also, the experience is so different. The DB9 is more of a GT and the Vantage more of a sports car. Both are vastly different to drive than the 911. Its worth some serious seat time doing what you plan to use the car for (street driving, track, etc.) before you make the switch.