6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Aston Martin (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin-39/)
-   -   - Shifter Cable Adjustment Thread for Vantage V8 - (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin/243808-shifter-cable-adjustment-thread-vantage-v8.html)

007 Vantage 05-09-2011 10:22 AM

- Shifter Cable Adjustment Thread for Vantage V8 -

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Guys,

I FINALLY found the instructions on the shifter cable adjustment earlier today. I asked Sam @ HWM AM for the instructions since my authorized dealer would not even perform this service for me (the AM dealer here in in town is worthless from everything I have heard about them, this included).

To my surprise, he provided detailed specific instructions WITH PICTURES of exactly what needs to be done. Its actually NOT that complicated so I thought I would share the information so that everyone can do this (either themselves, or at their local independent shop). Here is what he had to say:

"There is a certain about of adjustment available in the shifter cables. They are adjusted at the gearbox end rather than the gearstick side so you have to remove the centre section of the exhaust to be able to get a hand up there. If you check the picture out you can see the red piece which is what locks the length of the cable, it can be released by pulling back on that black collar to the right with the spring behind it. With both cables ?unlocked? in this way you need someone to hold the gearstick exactly in the centre position and then you can push the red bits down again to lock them in position as shown in second picture P1000614."

Hope that helps

(Special Thanks to Sam @ HWM Aston Martin based in UK for his excellent customer service!)
________
PinayNurse cam

wa1l1in 11-26-2013 02:19 PM

so any improvement after adjusted? what did it change/eliminate?

i have a very vague 3rd and 5th... always goes into every gear but they seem vague when shifting gears...

frankgtb 11-26-2013 05:27 PM

wonder if a gate alla ferrari ,lambo is avaliable from aftermarket?

007 Vantage 11-26-2013 10:28 PM

Nope

dicktahoe 11-27-2013 09:01 AM

I wouldn't find a "gate" useful. The gearshift is spring loaded, so when you release it, it lines up with 3, 4. Press left for 1,2 and Right for 5,6. Easy, Peasy.

007 Vantage 11-28-2013 12:17 AM

Our shifter is cable driven. gates are only for mechanical linkage shifters, it's not possible nor should you want to.

XJRS Owner 11-28-2013 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by 007 Vantage (Post 3990195)
Our shifter is cable driven. gates are only for mechanical linkage shifters, it's not possible nor should you want to.

The use of cables or not has no bearing on whether a gate plate is possible.

frankgtb 11-28-2013 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by XJRS Owner (Post 3990478)
The use of cables or not has no bearing on whether a gate plate is possible.

+1 ferrari 348 uses cables and shifter gate

007 Vantage 11-28-2013 07:25 PM

Cables shifters are usually less precise and it's better to not run them with a gate. It makes more sense with mechanical linkage. Especially if your cables start to slack and become less precise over time, the metal shifter gate would therefore make it more difficult to shift, so yes it does matter over time.