Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Brake Squeal on V12 Vantage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 10:15 AM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
I dont miss that noise with any car anymore haha. And its funny how the more money we seem to spend, the less and less refined the little dingles on the cars become haha. That said, no problems with squealing with my r8 unless its 30 degrees out...

Old 06-16-2011, 07:40 PM
KidRacer is on a distinguished road
well, its gotten to the point where i am not enjoying the car because every time i brake, there is a horrible, ear piercing squeal. as i previously explained, i dont have the luxury to heat up the brakes in downtown chicago and i certainly dont expect to live with this noise for the next few years. calling the dealer tomorrow to threaten legal action unless they figure out a way to make this noise go away.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:23 PM
markesq has a spectacular aura aboutmarkesq has a spectacular aura about
Kidracer, 2007 V8, mine don't squeak. Trade you straight up?

You don't get over 45 anyways, so you really get the same car without the squeak. lol

Old 06-17-2011, 02:48 PM
KidRacer is on a distinguished road
haha. DONE! spoke with the east coast rep for AM today and they are replacing all 4 brake pads and will then break them in for me properly. hopefully that does the trick.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:36 PM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Way to go Kid!

Old 06-06-2016, 10:35 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Matt2364
Hey guys, I just picked up a 2011 V12 Vantage with 8,850 on the clock. When I was test driving it I did not notice any break squeal at all but once I took delivery it has been squealing pretty bad.

I drove around yesterday for about 2 hours and obviously had the brakes heated up quite a bit and they were still squeaking. It seems like if I brake really hard there is virtually no squeal but if I am just doing basic city driving and stopping at a light or pulling into a parking spot they squeal like crazy.

I had read in the past that carbons usually squeak until they get warmed up but mine seem to be squeaking all the time. I know it is impossible to diagnose from this post but do you think I need new brake pads maybe? Seems very early for that however I don't know how brake pads due with little use. The previous owner only put about 1,500 miles a year on the car.

The other thing I was considering was shimming. Has anyone had success with that?
Shims and anti-squeal might help and could be an easy, inexpensive fix if it works. I'd start there.

Last edited by telum01; 06-06-2016 at 09:26 PM.
Old 06-06-2016, 10:41 AM
Matt2364 is an unknown quantity at this point
Would you say that is most likely an issue with the brake pads causing that squeal?

There seems to be two distinct squeals happening. There is a soft high pitched squeal which I am assuming is the carbon ceramics and then a louder squeal that might be the pads but my knowledge about this kind of stuff is very limited.

Lastly, is that something you would recommend doing at an Aston Dealer or simple enough for any shop that has experience with Astons?

Old 06-06-2016, 10:47 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
I've only driven two cars with carbon ceramic brakes - a DBS and an F430, neither squealed (although the F430 had zero stopping power when cold). I'd imagine off the top of my head that the DBS brakes are the same as the V12V, but I could be wrong on that because I haven't actually looked into it before.

Should be pretty straight forward, brake systems aren't too different from one company to the next.

Old 06-06-2016, 10:53 AM
Thanks man. I really appreciate the lighting fast response.

Totally off topic, just curios. What do you think about the new Aston's with the lipstick and the mesh grills?

Old 06-06-2016, 11:07 AM
Lol no worries, caught me between meetings. Personally not a fan of the lipstick, but that's entirely personal preference. Some people love it, some don't. Btw, welcome to the forum and congrats on your new purchase!

Old 06-06-2016, 11:20 AM
Thank you sir! This is my first Aston and really the second car I have ever owned so I have a bit more research to do. Here is a nice photo I took this morning. This car is so beautiful it looks like I photo-shopped it onto the driveway.

Yeah, my personal reaction to them is like watching a puppy drown (slight exaggeration probably). Besides having to get the 2011-2012 to get the manual I would stick with anything before they made that change. I just have no idea what they are thinking. It is basically what I would picture a 16 year old kid doing to a Honda Civic.

Old 06-06-2016, 11:57 AM
mkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud of
Wow, not a lot of fans of the lipstick haha. To be honest I've gotten a lot of hate (to my face) about my lipstick. Its so polarizing.

Old 06-06-2016, 12:05 PM
I know it just comes down to preference but the Aston design has always had that timeless class and has been a bit understated compared to the flash of Ferrari and Lamborghini. The lipstick takes a lot of that away IMO and just adds an necessary draw to the eye. I guess I just thought it was perfect as is and it was an unnecessary change.

Even if the lipstick matches the cars exterior color I really just prefer the slatted grill of the older Aston's much better than the mesh grill on the 2015+ models (I just noticed the 2017 looks like it returns to the classic slatted grill style).

At the end of the day though its still an Aston so maybe I'm being a bit picky :-) Please don't take any offense just one guys opinion here. It is still a work of art.

Last edited by Matt2364; 06-06-2016 at 12:42 PM.
Old 06-06-2016, 12:46 PM
spinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to behold
No offence taken, horses for courses. But just FYI, there is plenty of historical precedent in the Aston road and race car range over the decades, to justify referring to both the mesh and the lipstick as 'classic', just as much as the slats/bars.

Old 06-06-2016, 12:59 PM
Yeah, I guess you're right there. The older Zagato definitely had a bit of lipstick going on. I guess it might just be the jarring colors that I am not a fan of, seems like its always yellow or red but silver and black might add a nice touch.

Just depends what you are looking for a suppose. There is a place for everything somewhere.

Now if I can just figure out how to get these brakes to stop squeaking. I did notice it really only happens when I am riding the brakes from 15-0mph or something like that. Braking through corners and that kind of thing is just fine.

I have a long 1 lane hill that is 2 way with some big blind spots I have to go down everyday in my neighborhood and it is just painful going down that hill with the constant squeal of the brakes. With the beautiful orchestral drone of the V12 it is unacceptable for it to be overshadowed by brake squeal...

Luckily it sounds like it just my car that does that so hopefully it can be fixed with relative ease.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Brake Squeal on V12 Vantage