6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Aston Martin (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin-39/)
-   -   headlights not bright enough (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin/246279-headlights-not-bright-enough.html)

sgt d 06-08-2011 12:51 PM

headlights not bright enough

i just did a search and could not find anything. at night i never really noticed how poorly the lights lit the road because usually i am in well lit areas however i found myself driving the other night after a storm knocked out the power and they are extremely dim. to the point that i turned on the brights and not a single person flashed me for having them on.

has anyone experienced or know what can be done to fix it? the lights seem to be shining at the proper point in front of the car but just do not really shine far, the brights do however they did not bother oncoming vehicles.

stearnsn 06-09-2011 10:15 AM

Do you have the HID option?

sgt d 06-09-2011 10:41 AM

i did not know that it was an option and therefore have always assumed i had. i will say that when i turn them on they appear to have the quick "warm up" i am use to with hid's

honestly i do not know how this car is optioned out at all.

sgt d 06-09-2011 10:42 AM

does anyone have the ability to tell me if i post the vin?

this car was a complete impulse buy for me, the best impulse buy i have ever made btw..lol.. i recently have been car shopping from the shelby to the gran turismo and i have come to the conclusion this automaker hit the head for me and i will stay in an aston for some time to come.

DonL 06-09-2011 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by sgt d (Post 3228265)

If a dealer is handy, they can bring up and print out a complete listing of what is installed on your car using your vin. That's how I found out I had an optional color, and they didn't even charge me for it! ;)

karlfranz 06-09-2011 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by sgt d (Post 3228265)

this car was a complete impulse buy for me, the best impulse buy i have ever made btw..lol.. i recently have been car shopping from the shelby to the gran turismo and i have come to the conclusion this automaker hit the head for me and i will stay in an aston for some time to come.

The HID headlights on the Vantage are self-leveling, so an easy way to tell is to look at the beam pattern on a wall. When you first turn on the dip beam or when you toggle between dip and main beam you should see the light pattern on the wall "move" up and down.

brumma 06-09-2011 10:56 AM

It's pretty easy to tell--do they have a bluish tint to them? If so, then they're Xenon HIDs. If they are the same yellowish color as the dipped beams then they are not.

sgt d 06-09-2011 12:07 PM

intially i want to say blueish

could this be as easy as just replacing a bulb? they are both working and my previous experience has been when they are out then they are just out. i have never seen a bulb just get weak.

karlfranz 06-09-2011 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by brumma (Post 3228276)
It's pretty easy to tell--do they have a bluish tint to them? If so, then they're Xenon HIDs. If they are the same yellowish color as the dipped beams then they are not.

Just a brief correction. The HID lamps on the Vantage are only on the dipped beam, not the main beam. It sounds a bit confusing because of the wording but to the rest of the world "main" beam or "full" beam is what is referred to as "high" beams in the USA. Dipped beam is the "low" beam or normal driving lights.

brumma 06-09-2011 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by karlfranz (Post 3228359)
Just a brief correction. The HID lamps on the Vantage are only on the dipped beam, not the main beam. It sounds a bit confusing because of the wording but to the rest of the world "main" beam or "full" beam is what is referred to as "high" beams in the USA. Dipped beam is the "low" beam or normal driving lights.

Ah, thanks!

gsrjc 06-09-2011 03:30 PM

I thought all Vantages at HIDs

orangegrower 06-09-2011 03:31 PM

I had the same feeling when I purchased my V8V. After adjusted the alignment per the owners manual it made a world of difference. I don't see how the previous owner could drive at night. After adjusting all is good.

sgt d 06-09-2011 04:41 PM

i will refer to the manual and thanks, also i thought that all of the vantage or even any high end car would have a standard hid too:shrug:

Jay_Davis 06-09-2011 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by sgt d (Post 3228560)
i will refer to the manual and thanks, also i thought that all of the vantage or even any high end car would have a standard hid too:shrug:

As of 2009, HIDs were still an option.

Perhaps there's some countries where they are illegal so they have to offer a version without them?

sgt d 06-09-2011 10:32 PM

^^interesting, thanks for the info. i have not been outside tonight so tomorrow i will grab the manual and head out to the garage to see if i can make a difference in the projection. again thank you guys for the info and ideas