Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

would you buy an AMLNA press and marketing car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 08:24 PM
gsnyc is on a distinguished road
would you buy an AMLNA press and marketing car?

what do you think? car was thrashed by prospective buyers or the miles are ok?

Old 06-10-2011, 09:58 PM
Moogle is on a distinguished road
Thrashed, proper

Old 06-11-2011, 12:05 AM
AttorneyMike has a spectacular aura aboutAttorneyMike has a spectacular aura aboutAttorneyMike has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by gsnyc
what do you think? car was thrashed by prospective buyers or the miles are ok?

Seems like there are a couple out there right now-I've been told AM stands behind these cars and since they are under warranty, will warranty most issues that come up in the early miles. Are you talking about a specific car?

Old 06-11-2011, 04:32 AM
there are quite a few V12 Vantages that appear to be press cars. i was thinking of trading my DB9 in for one. you guys have any views on how damaged these cars are or how they are used while press cars?

Also, any views on the difference between the DB9 and V12 Vantage? i have a 2010 DB9 coupe with a manual transmission.

Old 06-11-2011, 09:11 AM
DetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud of
When the V12V press car made it to my dealership-there was two straight days of 30min client "test drives".

I can assure you that I took full advantage of my 30 minutes and I would assume the other dozen or so did too.

That being said, these cars are ment to be driven and driven hard. My concern would just be were the driven hard right from mile 1 on the odometer and were there any people who possibly tested them coming from sportshift and perhaps engaged the clutch incorrectly (burning clutch/limiting the life).

As for how the V12V compares to the DB9-take one for a spin. Your local dealer should have one and if you press aloow you to drive. It much more hardcore sports car while the DB9 is gentlemens GT.

Enjoy!!

Old 06-11-2011, 03:43 PM
That is a perfect description of how these cars were likely treated. I drove a press/marketing car today - it was actually incredibly tight and felt new. but it is worrisome.

Your description of the V12 Vantage also summed it up perfectly. Its much more like a nervous sports car, always on edge. very sensitive - its amazing how much the throttle response changes when you press the sport button!

Old 06-11-2011, 07:53 PM
gsrjc will become famous soon enough
Which car did you drive? Was this the Gulf Racing Blue V8 Vantage at the AM Long Island?

Old 06-12-2011, 04:43 AM
Red Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to all
I would think you should only have concerns if you plan on keeping the car past the warranty or without an extended warranty. I've read there are some cars that have their engines properly broken in before being installed in the car, but expect that's a very small minority. I'm sure you can find experts on both sides of the argument. This history will most-certainly affect resale, assuming the history is known and it probably would be. I know I'd be concerned buying such a car as the owner after you. If the savings is significant, maybe it's worth it but I'm sure it won't be too long before you can find one that lead a more "normal" early life. Nice to know there's someone else out there besides me with a DB9 coupe manual and we even are in the same general area (me: LI).

Old 06-12-2011, 05:05 AM
gsrjc - i didn't drive the gulf blue car but saw it - the color is pretty special and even nicer in person than in the pictures (i saw your previous post on that car).

Red Devil - i think that's good advice. it makes sense to wait. I love these manual transmission cars - and they're impossible to find. The dealers always say nobody wants them but then, if one comes on the market, they sell immediately. My color combination is meteorite/bitter chocolate. what color is yours?

Old 06-12-2011, 05:43 AM
btw, i drove the white V12 they had. what do you guys think of white vantages? think they can be resold at trade-in time?

Old 06-12-2011, 08:41 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Your description of the V12 Vantage also summed it up perfectly. Its much more like a nervous sports car, always on edge. very sensitive - its amazing how much the throttle response changes when you press the sport button!
While I agree that the throttle response is great, I can't say I agree that the V12V is a "nervous sports car, always on edge." The car is as tame and civilized as you want it to be and could be used as a daily driver if you were so inclined. It's only when you dig a bit deeper on the throttle when the car turns into a beast.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:07 AM
Sorry, i meant it in a good way - especially compared to my DB9. The car was much more nimble and reactive to inputs. also, the exhaust sound was amazing! Definitely more of a sports car compared to my DB9.

Old 06-12-2011, 12:02 PM
i had actually driven a manual transmission Gallardo right before i drove the V12 Vantage - that is how i realized that this is Aston's sports car. the steering is much weightier and goes back to center, the suspension was much firmer and the throttle more responsive. Pretty amazing.

Old 06-12-2011, 12:14 PM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Sorry, i meant it in a good way - especially compared to my DB9. The car was much more nimble and reactive to inputs. also, the exhaust sound was amazing! Definitely more of a sports car compared to my DB9.
No problem. Just clarifying for the record as someone who has a month or two behind the wheel.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:04 PM
scottblack has a spectacular aura aboutscottblack has a spectacular aura aboutscottblack has a spectacular aura about
Are you looking at the Mako blue one at Galpin?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: would you buy an AMLNA press and marketing car?