Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Break-in Period? / Weird Burnt Smell

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 02:03 PM
macksamus will become famous soon enough
Break-in Period? / Weird Burnt Smell

Hi fellas,

Can you tell me if there is any "break-in" period that I should be aware of on a 2009 V8 Vantage? I was under the impression that these engines are broken in at the factory.

If there is a break-in period, (i) how long is it in terms of miles and (ii) what should I avoid doing besides driving at constant speeds for prolonged periods of time?

I purchased my car with about 3,200 miles. I hardly get to drive it so whenever I do I pretty much let it loose, occasionaly hitting the redline. A few weeks back, I was driving along and quickly realized that I had just passed a spot that would serve for a good photo op. So, I slammed on the breaks, popped it into reverse (I have a 6-speed manual) and quickly backed up into the side of the road into the right spot. When I turned the engine off, I noticed a burnt smell. I assumed the smell was from the clutch, after having reversed in so quickly and perhaps not releasing the clutch entirely. I wasn't worried as I was only in reverse gear for about 30-40 feet or so.

I have driven a manual transmission all my life and have never experienced that smell...luckily, I have never had to change a clutch in any of my cars to-date.

Is there something about the V8 Vantage and reverse gear? Is it easier to burn the clutch in reverse? Or could that smell have been from a fairly new engine being driven really hard (and hence my question about a break-in period)? Or, could that have been from the brakes?

I obviously checked the oil level and all is good there. The car drives fine and there is no more smell. From now on, I plan on driving slowly while in reverse.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Old 07-18-2011, 02:27 PM
RPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to behold
Most likely it is your clutch. Reverse gear is to tall...

Old 07-18-2011, 02:36 PM
Originally Posted by RPVantage
Most likely it is your clutch. Reverse gear is to tall...
Thanks for the input RPVantage. Would you mind elaborating on what you mean by "tall"?

Old 07-18-2011, 04:12 PM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Although I've never noticed this personally, many have reported this same clutch burning smell when reversing and many have speculated it's because of the gear ratio involved ("tall" gearing). I'm sure that's all it is. And your car is past the break in period by now. I wouldn't worry about this unless you continue to notice the smell.

Old 07-18-2011, 04:12 PM
ptaylor_9849 is on a distinguished road
What he means is the gear ratio allows the car to travel too fast in reverse which requires additional feathering of the clutch prior to full engagement which causes it to burn quicker. Another way to think of it is to imagine if you had to start out in second gear all the time. Hence the term "Tall". On the other side, "Short" gears like 4:10's require you to shift much sooner. Reverse in the vantage should be more like first gear but its actually more like second...Did this help or just confuse you more?

Old 07-18-2011, 04:27 PM
RPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to behold
I don't think I could explain it any better. Thanks.

Old 07-18-2011, 04:43 PM
Thanks everyone for chiming in Lucky to have such great resources here.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:57 PM
Jay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud of
FYI, the "break-in" period is 1000 miles, so you are well past that.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:54 AM
dicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of light
Yup, what you smelled was the clutch--however, I'm sure you did no damage at all. I had the same burning smell in reverse happen a couple of times, then had the clutch replaced (under warantee because of mechanical failure) at about 9,000 miles. Clutch-plate showed almost no wear, that's why I'm sure you did no damage. Reverse is tricky in the Vantage especially is you have to back up-hill.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:48 PM
Originally Posted by dicktahoe
Yup, what you smelled was the clutch--however, I'm sure you did no damage at all. I had the same burning smell in reverse happen a couple of times, then had the clutch replaced (under warantee because of mechanical failure) at about 9,000 miles. Clutch-plate showed almost no wear, that's why I'm sure you did no damage. Reverse is tricky in the Vantage especially is you have to back up-hill.
Thanks for putting me at ease

Old 07-26-2011, 09:52 PM
Sterlingc1975 will become famous soon enoughSterlingc1975 will become famous soon enough
It's the clutch and everything will be fine..

Old 07-27-2011, 08:28 PM
gsrjc will become famous soon enough
when does the clutch start to give out? my clutch feels very strong and sorta tight so i want to assume that the previous owner did the cable modification that i've read about.