Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Tire System Fault - won't go away

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 09:28 PM
astonChap will become famous soon enough
bringing this classic issue back up.

Have a 2010 DB9 - smarttire tpms. Lights started flashing, so purchased the redpants tpms defeat. after 2 months and several hundred miles, it’s not reset - light still flashes.

thoughts chaps?

its most likely not a faulty defeat cable - returned the first one and got a second....

Old 08-08-2018, 08:29 PM
any thoughts lads? i’m stumped!

Old 08-08-2018, 08:51 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
It should reset right away when the defeated. No driving necessary. Could be a poor connection on your end if 2 new parts have failed. Any other faults or warnings on?

Old 08-08-2018, 10:00 PM
Yeah, that was the expectation - or at least reset after a cycle.

No other issues. Connections seem solid enough - and the system worked fine until what I assume are the TPMS module batteries going dead (8 year old car...)

Wonder if it’s related to the system having the check tire fault issue before i plugged in the defeat? desperation makes me ponder such things.

Thanks for your help.

Old 08-09-2018, 04:46 AM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
Piece of black tape over the warning light?

Old 08-09-2018, 05:20 AM
haha - you mean cover up the dash cluster - let’s be practical here and at least use silver duct tape to match the dials...

Old 08-09-2018, 08:33 AM
sonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud of
you can push the "read" button to make that go away

Old 08-09-2018, 11:01 AM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by astonChap
haha - you mean cover up the dash cluster - let’s be practical here and at least use silver duct tape to match the dials...
of course. My mistake...i think it's skyfall silver

Old 08-09-2018, 03:49 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Unless you were very unlucky to get two bad jumpers, it means that there must be an open on the car side of the TPMS harness since the jumper shorts the signal lines to ground. So, if the ground wire on the car side is open, the jumper will not have any effect. Same thing if the unit failure or low tire line is open; the jumper won't be able to short them to ground.

Old 08-09-2018, 08:27 PM
pressing read is now part of my startup ritual (that and the smile).

good advice - going to check the box and cables this weekend.

will report back with my findings.

thanks chaps

Old 08-11-2018, 03:58 AM
cadman is a jewel in the roughcadman is a jewel in the roughcadman is a jewel in the rough
might be worth a try, i just unplugged my smartire box under the dash (3 years ago) ,and got no more warning light , 07 v8v

Old 08-11-2018, 05:04 AM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
Unfortunately that doesn't work for 2008MY onwards. System changed warning strategies so that a complete disconnect will illuminate the warning lamp. Pre 2007MY will extinguish the warning lamp when disconnected.

Old 08-12-2018, 01:56 PM
can confirm that disconnecting the box results in a system fault error. was worth a shot though thanks cadman

Old 08-24-2018, 02:00 PM
If one wanted to do the DIY defeat on 2008-2010 smarttire you can just connect 3 of the 4 wires together (2 signal wires to ground) just make sure to leave the red/blue wire alone (12v power supply).

Old 09-01-2018, 08:22 AM
LloydB3 is on a distinguished road
I just received the same tire system fault warning on my 2010 Rapide. I am planning on selling the car and I don't want to stick a new owner with any issues. I raised and lowered the pressure in each tire and the individual tire pressure readings on the dash correctly registered the lowered and increased air pressures. However, when inserting the key, I get triangles appearing next to several of the tires initially (not always the same ones), but then within a second the triangles go away and are replaced with the correct air pressure readings. It seems as though the split second delay in reading pressures may be triggering the initial fault which does not go away even after sensors read correct pressure. The tires will need to be replaced soon due to tread wear, but don't leak air.

I have the following questions for the group:
1. Are bad batteries in the sensors still a likely culprit when the sensors still transmit air pressure readings, although perhaps belatedly?
2. If sensor batteries are bad?
a. Can batteries be replaced or do I need to replace entire sensor?
b. If entire sensor needs replacing or just batteries can a good tire shop (I use discount tires) replace them and sync them with system if I decide to get new tires or is this a dealer$hip item? (I had planned to leave the tire replacement option open for new owner as they may have a preference for OEM or Michelin.)

I appreciate any assistance you can provide.

Kindest Regards, Lloyd

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tire System Fault - won't go away