6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Aston Martin (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin-39/)
-   -   Help Me pick a car (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin/254890-help-me-pick-car.html)

11CayenneS 09-13-2011 08:41 AM

Help Me pick a car

Hey Guys,

I have been posting this in different parts of 6speed to see the pros and cons to the cars I am looking at. I am really interested to hear what you guys think

I am on the hunt to add a toy to my collection. I already have an 11 Cayenne S, and a 68 Chevelle. I am now looking for an exotic to round off the collection. I am looking at the following cars (mostly due to them falling in my price range of 160-220k.

Audi R8 V10
Aston Martin V12 Vantage
Bentley Continental GT Super Sport (dealer has 2 leftovers at huge discount)
Porsche 911 Turbo S
Ferrari California

I am looking at new or very slightly used versions of all of these cars.

I am looking for a car that is a mostly daily driver (I have my Cayenne for Hauling) and is somewhat comfortable.

Irish07@VelocityAP 09-13-2011 09:20 AM

I'm a fan of the V12 Vantage, the exhaust tone alone is awesome!!. I've driven numerous Aston's and Bentley's..The Bentley Super Sport is awesome, but just not "my" type of sports car feel that I like. I prefer a manual that I can shift instead of the paddles. That's why I prefer the V12 Vantage, you can get it with either the paddle shift or the stick shift.
The paddles on the V12 Vantage are ok, but you can feel a slight delay in shifts. If paddles are what you are looking for I'd shoot for the Vantage S over the V12. The Vantage S has such a nicer instant shifting feel, and with it being a 7-speed just makes every gear have more usability.
I don't have any experience in driving the R8, 911 nor Cali so I can't be of much help with those choices...hope this helps

maroli 09-13-2011 09:21 AM

The R8 or the V12 Vantage would be my pick. Both great cars. I guess it comes down to what image you want to give off as well. The R8 is racier looking and more exotic, whereas the V12 is quite dignified and elegant. The Conti supersports is a bit of silliness to me. You're either going to make a luxury car that's fast, in which case you have an opulent interior and 4 seats....or a sports car. You can't take a 2000 kg vehicle, strip out a small amount of weight AND the rear seats and call it a sports car. What're you going to do with a 1900 kg car that has luxury size wheels, body, sound deadening etc etc, that only has two seats? :)

The 911 turbo S is a great car and very quick indeed, but to me (and I'm a huge Porsche fan), it's a little ubiquitous. Everybody has one.

The California is also a great car, it has that clever roof. I'm not a Ferrari guy, but I'd definitely consider it.

turbosonoma 09-13-2011 09:31 AM

If it was me I think I'd choose the super sport, but being all such fine cars, I'd look at what is going to depreciate less over the next couple years and likely go for that.

11CayenneS 09-13-2011 09:41 AM

@Irish. In your experience with Aston's How have you found the quality to be? Thanks for the info on the Vantage S, I will add that to the consideration list.

@Maroli, This is less about image for me and is more about finding a car that makes me smile everytime I drive it. Honestly if it was about image, I would probably just go the route of the Cali. I do agree 2 seats in a Bentley is silly, however the dealer has an SS that has the back seats which is kind of cool. I already have my Cayenne S and a 68 Chevelle, so I am more looking for a car that is somewhat luxury but is still alive in the performance arena.

@ TurboSonoma. I purposely witheald the depreciation factor as that was going to be the final filter I used after narrowing down the pack of options.

karlfranz 09-13-2011 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by irish07 (Post 3313098)
I'm a fan of the V12 Vantage, the exhaust tone alone is awesome!!. I've driven numerous Aston's and Bentley's..The Bentley Super Sport is awesome, but just not "my" type of sports car feel that I like. I prefer a manual that I can shift instead of the paddles. That's why I prefer the V12 Vantage, you can get it with either the paddle shift or the stick shift.
The paddles on the V12 Vantage are ok, but you can feel a slight delay in shifts. If paddles are what you are looking for I'd shoot for the Vantage S over the V12. The Vantage S has such a nicer instant shifting feel, and with it being a 7-speed just makes every gear have more usability.
I don't have any experience in driving the R8, 911 nor Cali so I can't be of much help with those choices...hope this helps

No offense, but I have no idea what you're talking about. There is no such thing as a V12 Vantage with paddle shift. All of them were made with a manual 6-speed gearbox.

Irish07@VelocityAP 09-13-2011 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by 11CayenneS (Post 3313120)
@Irish. In your experience with Aston's How have you found the quality to be? Thanks for the info on the Vantage S, I will add that to the consideration list.

@Maroli, This is less about image for me and is more about finding a car that makes me smile everytime I drive it. Honestly if it was about image, I would probably just go the route of the Cali. I do agree 2 seats in a Bentley is silly, however the dealer has an SS that has the back seats which is kind of cool. I already have my Cayenne S and a 68 Chevelle, so I am more looking for a car that is somewhat luxury but is still alive in the performance arena.

@ TurboSonoma. I purposely witheald the depreciation factor as that was going to be the final filter I used after narrowing down the pack of options.

Mechanically, the car is sound..the base models (non V12), models with the v8 had some clutch issues..on the V12 everything was beef'd up and I myself have not seen any issues mechanically with the V12 Vantage.

Only issues the Vantage line has had is with pre-to-early 2010 door modules and door latchs, they just do funny things. Unlock/lock even between doors, one door unlocks and the other locks when requesting unlock onm the remote..again stupid little funny things. Late 2010 and onwords the door modules have been updated by another manufacture.

The door modules were built in Spain originally, modules kept having errors time-to-time, Aston then switched manufactures to a place in England which seems to of solved the issue. Older pre2010 vehicle can be adapted to the fix.

As for the latches, there was an updated version as well, haven't seen any faults with the newer door latchs after they had been revised.

Irish07@VelocityAP 09-13-2011 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by karlfranz (Post 3313132)
No offense, but I have no idea what you're talking about. There is no such thing as a V12 Vantage with paddle shift. All of them were made with a manual 6-speed gearbox.

Yes your correct, my mistake..I was thinking about the DBS(hehe when you see to many of them, they all start looking the same in your head)..same car really, just the V12 Vantage is ligher and less tech savy electronics that you really don't need when you just want to have fun with the car on the "street"..Between DBS and V12 Vantage, I love the V12 Vantage, such a funner machine to drive..again that's just my opinion..:)

Racer_X 09-13-2011 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by irish07 (Post 3313144)
Yes your correct, my mistake..I was thinking about the DBS(hehe when you see to many of them, they all start looking the same in your head)..same car really, just the V12 Vantage is ligher and less tech savy electronics that you really don't need when you just want to have fun with the car on the "street"..Between DBS and V12 Vantage, I love the V12 Vantage, such a funner machine to drive..again that's just my opinion..:)

There's a big difference between the DBS and the V12V, and I don't consider the V12V "less tech savvy." The V12V is a much smaller car and much more of a sports car than the DBS, which is clearly a GT car.

Racer_X 09-13-2011 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by 11CayenneS (Post 3313058)
I am now looking for an exotic to round off the collection. I am looking at the following cars (mostly due to them falling in my price range of 160-220k.

Audi R8 V10
Aston Martin V12 Vantage
Bentley Continental GT Super Sport (dealer has 2 leftovers at huge discount)
Porsche 911 Turbo S
Ferrari California

Personally, I'd go with the Audi V10 or the Aston V12. I have the latter and love it, but I hear the former is fantastic. The Bentley is fast but gigantic and heavy. You already have a Porsche and, IMO, 911s are not "exotic." As for the Ferrari, I love the marque but I'd pick something other than the California, which is not all that pretty IMO.

maroli 09-13-2011 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Racer_X (Post 3313209)
Personally, I'd go with the Audi V10 or the Aston V12. I have the latter and love it, but I hear the former is fantastic. The Bentley is fast but gigantic and heavy. You already have a Porsche and, IMO, 911s are not "exotic." As for the Ferrari, I love the marque but I'd pick something other than the California, which is not all that pretty IMO.

I agree with this gentleman. You already have a luxurious car that can seat multiple people (cayenne) if needed. I know you said you weren't into the image or you'd pick the Ferrari, but for me, Ferrari's have the wrong image, haha. No offense to anyone, and I'd still love to drive them, but they seem to attract a certain kind of individual.

Why don't you test drive some cars and report back? I'd love to hear what you think.

Red Devil 09-13-2011 11:29 AM

You didn't say if "convertible" is important, but being in FL it could be nice. Otherwise, why consider a California. Every car on your list has merit in a different way and if you think it through, I'm sure you'll be down to 1 or 2 choices in no time.

karlfranz 09-13-2011 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by irish07 (Post 3313140)
Only issues the Vantage line has had is with pre-to-early 2010 door modules and door latchs, they just do funny things. Unlock/lock even between doors, one door unlocks and the other locks when requesting unlock onm the remote..again stupid little funny things. Late 2010 and onwords the door modules have been updated by another manufacture.

The door modules were built in Spain originally, modules kept having errors time-to-time, Aston then switched manufactures to a place in England which seems to of solved the issue. Older pre2010 vehicle can be adapted to the fix.

As for the latches, there was an updated version as well, haven't seen any faults with the newer door latchs after they had been revised.

Interesting. My car is at the dealer right now getting both driver and passenger door locks replaced for exactly the behavior you mention. Pressing the lock button on the key fob sometimes locks one door, both, or none at all. I wonder if the replacement locks will also develop problems or if they will be of the newer English variety.

On a side note, my passenger window exploded while they were replacing the door lock, so I'm getting a new window put in as well. Apparently, this is the third time a Vantage window has exploded while working on it at this dealer.

11CayenneS 09-13-2011 06:16 PM

Hey Maroli,

Here is what I have driven Thus Far:

911 Turbo S: This car is just crazy fast! The speed builds very nice and isnt squirrely at all. I like that when the car is in Comfort mode the suspension is much softer and forgiving than the Cayman S I had previously. The interior is ok, but not as nice as some of the other cars I have looked at. This car is definitely a front runner for me. My Concern is availability to build my own seems to be drying up quick which does pose an issue for the specific combo of stuff I would want. However Im sure the bigger dealerships in Miami or West Palm could make something happen for me. A big problem I do have with this car being a sure thing for me is the 991 that is coming out. I know that the 991 wont have even a turbo for a year or two, but I know myself and I am pretty sure the first time I go to the dealership and see the new interior, I will be feeling a bit of regret. I love the new interiors porsche is doing. My Cayenne S has the best navigation system and fit and finish I have seen in any car.

Ferrari California: This car is strange to me. It makes the noises that a Ferrari should make, and has a pretty nice interior, but something about the car just feels a bit girly to me. It drives real nice and also possesses that Jekyll and Hyde mix. When the car is in comfort it is very tame, and when in sport mode using manual flappy paddles it is very sporty. The convertible isnt that big of a deal to me, so that may be one reason I am not too into this car. This car for me sits in last place at this point.

Bentley Continental GT Super Sport: I really like how this car drives! It is very fast (not Turbo S Fast) which feels like it breaks the laws of physics since it is so big. The specific one I drove had seats I didnt like, but they have another that has seats that are very comfortable. My Issue may be that even though this car is very nice, and has been discounted substantially, I am not sure that the things that make this car Expensive are really things I care about. My other issue with this car is how similar Chryslers have become in looks to this.

I am still looking for an R8 V10 to drive. The Aston Dealer has one that I may swing out to drive.

I have not been able to find a V12 Vantage to drive, and honestly this may actually cause me to not even want this car. All the dealer has is V8 Vantage's to drive. If I cant drive a car, I will not buy it.

Originally Posted by maroli (Post 3313234)
I agree with this gentleman. You already have a luxurious car that can seat multiple people (cayenne) if needed. I know you said you weren't into the image or you'd pick the Ferrari, but for me, Ferrari's have the wrong image, haha. No offense to anyone, and I'd still love to drive them, but they seem to attract a certain kind of individual.

Why don't you test drive some cars and report back? I'd love to hear what you think.

Irish07@VelocityAP 09-13-2011 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by karlfranz (Post 3313605)
Interesting. My car is at the dealer right now getting both driver and passenger door locks replaced for exactly the behavior you mention. Pressing the lock button on the key fob sometimes locks one door, both, or none at all. I wonder if the replacement locks will also develop problems or if they will be of the newer English variety.

On a side note, my passenger window exploded while they were replacing the door lock, so I'm getting a new window put in as well. Apparently, this is the third time a Vantage window has exploded while working on it at this dealer.

If they had to order the modules from Aston, they would be getting the newer revised versions from the England manifacture..in this case they would have to replace both of them even if 1 module took the boot. The newer door module doesn't function with the old modules from Spain.. If there replacing only 1 module it's becasue they had a old one left in stock at the dealership..

As for the window....hehe exploding or butterfingers?? I've never had a glass "explode" on me, and I've replaced dozens of these door latchs and lock barrels..so I'll reframe and say "no comment" ..lol

..sry this is off topic, I don't mean to jack the thread