Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

How do you take this panel out?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 04:40 PM
chirag is a jewel in the roughchirag is a jewel in the roughchirag is a jewel in the rough
How do you take this panel out?

Seems like the leather has come unattached from this panel...I want to pull it out and have an upholstery shop re-glue it....does anyone know where the attachment points are, and the easiest way to pull it off?

TIA...

Name:  1120123.jpg
Views: 3710
Size:  27.6 KB
Name:  1120122.jpg
Views: 3608
Size:  34.3 KB

Old 11-20-2011, 05:03 PM
boosting1bar is on a distinguished road
That's come loose on my car as well.

Old 11-20-2011, 09:17 PM
RPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to behold
My car had the same issue two years ago.

Old 11-21-2011, 12:23 AM
mfrankel is on a distinguished road
+3. I swear that's a picture of my car.

Old 11-21-2011, 02:41 AM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
can't help to answer the dissassembly question. a good interior shop should be able to handle that i would think. a parts diagram may help to figure it out.

do you guys use a heatshield for your car when it's parked in the sun? that would prevent it.

Old 11-21-2011, 05:45 AM
Jarod has a spectacular aura aboutJarod has a spectacular aura about
Sorry, no idea on this one. I don’t want to steal your thread, but the panel from the passenger airbag (below the panel you are talking about) is kind of loose. It chatters and rattles while driving. I can also move it up and down bit wit my fingers. Does someone know how to tighten it?

Cheers, J

Old 11-21-2011, 09:09 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
This is a common problem, I'm told, and usually results from direct sun exposure. Unfortunately, the leather tends to shrink in this situation and typically must be replaced.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:26 AM
AMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to all
This panel requires you to remove the airbag cover. Which does not require you to remove the airbag or even touch it. So if you want to know I can make a step by step process and post it here. Should only take bout 30 mins to remove. I only ask, because I said that scary car repair word "airbag".

Last edited by AMFixer; 11-21-2011 at 09:55 AM.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:53 AM
chirag is a jewel in the roughchirag is a jewel in the roughchirag is a jewel in the rough
Sure, please do. I am happy to tackle this at home. Car was from FL so seems like it may have seen high temps that allowed some of the glue to give way. Pretty sure my interior shop should be able to make it look pretty close to perfect...

And man, AMfixer, I wish you or irish07 lived in the Tri-State area haha..

Old 11-21-2011, 12:35 PM
macksamus will become famous soon enough
Mine had the exact same issue....luckily, panel was replaced under warranty (although it took about 5 weeks for the part to arrive from the UK)

After you get it fixed, I strongly recomend use of a leather conditioner about once a month to keep it from happening again. I know Leatherique is a favorite among many folks here.

Old 11-21-2011, 12:48 PM
AMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to all
Panel Removal:
1: Remove glove box surround, glove box open switch is in this panel. It just pops out, no screws attach this. Start from the bottom pulling out from dash. Being careful of the switch once its out, the wires are short. (Glove Box Image)
2:Remove Glove box. There are screws at the bottom (3 or 2), either a torx or phillips screw head (Glove Box Image). They go into a metal bracket. Then then are 3 or 4 screws that hold in the plastic piece at the dash, phillips screws. Be very careful here, once the glove box is out there is a cable that attaches on the side. Do not disconnect this, as its a pain to get back on or you can break the clip realy easy. Just let the glove box hang, it wont hurt it. (Glove Box 2 Image)
4. Airbag cover: Once the glove box is out. Look up under the dash there is a metal bracket with 3 8mm head bolts(Green Arrow). Remove these watch which way the metal braket comes out (Blue Arrow). When going back together make these tight. Then the airbag cover has clips that pop out. Be careful here and not break the clips. (Airbag 2 Image)
Also here is where the cabin filters are. There is a white panel that pops off, then the two filters are in there (Red Arrow). (Glove Box 2 Image)
5. Once the airbag cover is out you can remove the 2 screws for thr side air vent. It pops out. (Trim Image red Arrows)
6. Then the four screw that hold the upper panel in. It also has some clips like the airbag cover, so be carful when removing it. (Trim Image Green Lines)
If anyone has questions let me know.
Same process for DB9, DBS too.

Attached Images      

Last edited by AMFixer; 11-21-2011 at 12:52 PM.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:46 PM
Thanks, took about 25 minutes to get out. Heading to the upholsterer now...will report the results!

Old 11-21-2011, 07:52 PM
Just got back, took him about 20 minutes to glue both the fabric and the leather together. Seems like its back together pretty well. Reassembled almost all of the dash back with the exception of the glove (too dark in the garage). Will post some pics tomorrow, but looks great!

Old 11-21-2011, 08:56 PM
Aston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really nice
Originally Posted by AMFixer
Panel Removal:
1: Remove glove box surround, glove box open switch is in this panel. It just pops out, no screws attach this. Start from the bottom pulling out from dash. Being careful of the switch once its out, the wires are short. (Glove Box Image)
2:Remove Glove box. There are screws at the bottom (3 or 2), either a torx or phillips screw head (Glove Box Image). They go into a metal bracket. Then then are 3 or 4 screws that hold in the plastic piece at the dash, phillips screws. Be very careful here, once the glove box is out there is a cable that attaches on the side. Do not disconnect this, as its a pain to get back on or you can break the clip realy easy. Just let the glove box hang, it wont hurt it. (Glove Box 2 Image)
4. Airbag cover: Once the glove box is out. Look up under the dash there is a metal bracket with 3 8mm head bolts(Green Arrow). Remove these watch which way the metal braket comes out (Blue Arrow). When going back together make these tight. Then the airbag cover has clips that pop out. Be careful here and not break the clips. (Airbag 2 Image)
Also here is where the cabin filters are. There is a white panel that pops off, then the two filters are in there (Red Arrow). (Glove Box 2 Image)
5. Once the airbag cover is out you can remove the 2 screws for thr side air vent. It pops out. (Trim Image red Arrows)
6. Then the four screw that hold the upper panel in. It also has some clips like the airbag cover, so be carful when removing it. (Trim Image Green Lines)
If anyone has questions let me know.
Same process for DB9, DBS too.
Awesome (and fast) work! Thanks for posting this.

Old 11-23-2011, 01:51 PM
Here are the after pics..

Name:  1120115.jpg
Views: 3471
Size:  23.1 KB
Name:  1120114.jpg
Views: 3482
Size:  32.7 KB

AMfixer, thanks again, this was bothering me since I picked the car up

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How do you take this panel out?