Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

07 Side View Mirror Arm Deterioration

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 01:32 PM
amv8indc has a spectacular aura aboutamv8indc has a spectacular aura about
07 Side View Mirror Arm Deterioration

My 07 V8 Vantage Roadster has what seems to be cast iron arms for side view mirrors. It looks like it was touched up with paint before I purchased it (used), however over time it's become to look pretty aweful. Is there any way to fix this, remove and dip it in some compound, or does it need to be replaced?

Also, any idea on how to remove them? I've heard that the mirror cover cannot be removed without destroying the clips that hold them in place.

Here are some pictures.

Thanks!

Attached Images   
Old 02-25-2012, 02:45 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Cast iron? This isn't some pot belly stove is it?

I hope you mean cast aluminum of some sort.

Old 02-25-2012, 03:24 PM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Looks like there's some oxidation. If you clean them up and either paint or powder coat them I'm sure they'd be fine.

Old 02-25-2012, 03:35 PM
jaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to behold
I have an idea. Call a dealer an see if they can order you a pair of the carbon fiber arms from the DBS. They would look great and I'm sure they won't break down like that. I would just make sure that they are compatible.

Old 02-26-2012, 04:59 AM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
They are aluminium I had both mine replaced under warranty on my last roadster

Old 02-27-2012, 04:45 PM
Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !
That's pretty nasty indeed. I would remove them, take them to a body shop and have them media blast it followed by a dip or powder coat

Old 02-27-2012, 05:32 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
I've seen this personally OP is a friend of mine, and we were talking about ways to fix it. I think that if the part were to be soaked in a chemical to bring it back to original metal and then respray it that could work, but short of that perhaps remove and replace (R&R) might be next alternative??

Old 02-28-2012, 02:44 AM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
As I say I had mine replaced under warranty.
The dealer told me it was a known issue with a few batches from the supplier.
They are powder coated aluminium.
So I'd suggest remove them, media blast them and re pwoder coat them.
To get the off the door card and small piece of door glass need removing.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:15 AM
Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mikey k
As I say I had mine replaced under warranty.
The dealer told me it was a known issue with a few batches from the supplier.
They are powder coated aluminium.
So I'd suggest remove them, media blast them and re pwoder coat them.
To get the off the door card and small piece of door glass need removing.

OK, OP - you have your plan of action.
If it is a known issue, call an AM dealer and see if they will replace them.
Even if out of warranty, AM may give you the parts gratis to avoid the bad press.

Of course they may want you to pay for the cost of installation.
Still, in all it's a phone call. Free nowadays. The worst that could happen is that they say "no."

Old 02-28-2012, 10:11 AM
DonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant future
I believe the cars are covered for 10 years under the corrosion provisions of the warranty. Check your owners manual for the precise wording and then "have at the dealer" for a warranty replacement!

Old 02-28-2012, 06:21 PM
CJPatel has a spectacular aura aboutCJPatel has a spectacular aura about
That looks horrible, keep us posted for those that might run into that same problem in the future. Also, can you give us a brief description of your use/storage of this car?

I like DonL's idea of seeing if the 10 year corrosion coverage would take care of it.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:53 AM
Mine went within the 3 year factory warranty.
But I blame the previous owner for storing it outside, using it on salted roads and not cleaning it properly (also had rear calipers replaced due to salt corrosion of the pistons)
Poor car

I'm pretty sure the 10yr corrosion warranty only covers the body panels & chassis - worth a try though.
AM often make "good will" gestures on stuff like this so again worth a try

Old 02-29-2012, 12:32 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
My friend the OP needs serious help with this it's a terrible eye sore...picture an aston martin with genital warts, perhaps ghannaria, or even mutated leperacy...it's that bad. The Vantage is a beautiful car, she need not be tormented with a rotten mirror arm. I hope it can be fixed properly.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:04 PM
Originally Posted by mikey k
Mine went within the 3 year factory warranty.
But I blame the previous owner for storing it outside, using it on salted roads and not cleaning it properly (also had rear calipers replaced due to salt corrosion of the pistons)
Poor car

I'm pretty sure the 10yr corrosion warranty only covers the body panels & chassis - worth a try though.
AM often make "good will" gestures on stuff like this so again worth a try
For a car manufacturer to not cover salt and corrosion deterioration of components in the first 5 years of ownership is abhorrent.
There are too many salt and salt water resistant materials on the market to overlook this.

As a matter of fact, Federal Law here in the United States dictates that car bodies and frames must last a minimum of 10 years before showing significant igns of rust and scaling.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:32 PM
amv8indc has a spectacular aura aboutamv8indc has a spectacular aura about
Sorry, I've been "Out to Lunch" while all these replies came in. My local AM Branch closed (Tysons Corner, VA), so I'm at a loss until I find someone new to help me with a replacement under warranty.

The car is garaged, and rarely sees rain; however i'm the second owner and have no idea what the original owner did. Now it's become quite an eyesore.

Where do all the DC Metro area owners service their Aston's now?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 07 Side View Mirror Arm Deterioration