Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

New JAg XE - finally a real Jag competitor for the Vantage?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 10:11 PM
ShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud of
New JAg XE - finally a real Jag competitor for the Vantage?

http://www.roadandtrack.com/future-c...2014-jaguar-xe

First real pics I've seen, lots of cladding so I doubt that this is all that close to what the final version will look like.

Personally, I don't really consider the XK (R, R-S) to be a direct competitor to the Vantage. It's larger size and big GT makes it a better comp with a 6 series or SL.

This however looks like it could be a decent rival for the AMV8. Smaller, assuredly lighter and likely to have a more direct feel. It will be interesting to see how it develops.

Regardless, I think that AM is facing some intense competition these days . . . new 991 911, this vehicle, M6, etc. Should help drive some nice improvements in the brand's nex-gen products.

Old 03-01-2012, 05:08 AM
flinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to behold
Product pressure demands response

Just thinkin.

Key is power to weight ratio of this new head on competition. Jag is going light with a V6 from their new engine plant and probably an all aluminum body (incld a cloth convertible, no folding metal/plastic contraption).

Aston must counter with at least equal capabilities to maintain their price premium and brand value. Good looks worked in the past; Fisker may be available to help. In any case Astons will become much lighter, its overdue. Think hipo 6 in our Vantages of the future.

Bez sez, V12 is good thru 2020 (he's 68 today, won't be around in 2020 unless he pulls a Lutz). Can not see our V12 being able to hang around that long, especially in sporty cars, but maybe in sedans. AM sold V8s at a premium in the past...if Vantage goes 6, a V8 could come back as King.

Wow, the info flow via 6 Speed, Pistonheads, mags, press releases, mgmt palaver, spy photos, etc. is making us all product planners.

Imagine the dealer sales network uproar/feedback to Gaydon. That is where the real money is on the line. We are just the fickle buyers sitting on the side, deciding what we are going to purchase next.

Last edited by flinder; 03-01-2012 at 06:59 AM. Reason: to correct spelling
Old 03-01-2012, 10:38 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
I don't think the car is really a competitor for the Vantage. If it's really light, it may be a competitor in terms of performance numbers, but there's a lot more than that that goes into the purchase decision than those. Personally, I wouldn't want a V6 (a GTR being a possible exception). For me, that'd be the end of it for this car. Now, shoehorn in a V8, then maybe.

BTW, I really liked the looks of the original C-X16 couple concept. Not sure on the styling of this convertible though.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:06 AM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
It's an inline 6 (resurrected MB unit), not a V6, that Bez mentions. This at least has a tie-in with oldere AMs. I'd much rather have a smooth I6, ala BMW, than a V6 of any sort. The original DB7 had a supercharged I6, and that was pretty good.

I6, V8 or V12 are the only choices for me.