6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Aston Martin (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin-39/)
-   -   Outdoor Temperature Sensor (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin/270674-outdoor-temperature-sensor.html)

astondude 03-16-2012 09:48 PM

Outdoor Temperature Sensor

The outdoor temp sensor on my 08 Vantage is acting up. It would read really high after I park it and it would take too long to "cool off" to the actual ambient temp. Dealer took out it to calibrate and still doing the same. Car is still under warranty but dealer said he must ask permission from Aston to replace it. I thought there was a service bulletin on the temp sensor last year or year before. Can someone please post it here? I saw it here before but I can't seem to find it now when I did a search. Thanks!

62Jeff 03-16-2012 10:29 PM

My DB9 has a similar problem, reads very very high. I will be curious to see what comes of this thread.

No32 03-16-2012 11:14 PM

same here

millsjq 03-17-2012 08:11 AM

My dealer replaced mine on my 2009 vantage. The new one is no better. I think the issue is the placement of the sensor and I have thought about movinging it to a less sensitive location( farther from engine) and fabricate a wiring harness extension. I have not spent any time working on this, 1st I need to determine where the sensor is.

spinecho 03-17-2012 09:55 AM

Sorry, don't have the bulletin, but I had the same issue on my 09 V8V, which basically rendered my A/C useless (system would get confused and the blower fan took on a life of its own). It was replaced under warranty, no questions asked.

AMFixer 03-17-2012 11:14 AM

The sensor likes to take a dump. If it reads bad, and you have a sport shift, it can cause shifting issues too,and a/c issues as stated. Better to replace it, as there is an updated part now. The sensor is in the front grill both db9 and v8.

Irish07@VelocityAP 03-17-2012 01:11 PM

Dealer doesn't need auth to replace the ambient temp sensor..don't know there story, but thats far as I'll go before I get a phone call...lol
This sensor can simulate NUMEROUS faults, a DB9 won't even charge over 12V..volante tops stop working, a/c goes bonkers..etc endless....and there is no "calibration" for the sensor..if feeds are fine and open circuit faults are not stored, you just replace the ambient temp sensor behind the front grill..that's if the fault is simulated by the tech

Irish07@VelocityAP 03-18-2012 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by spinecho (Post 3488077)
Sorry, don't have the bulletin, but I had the same issue on my 09 V8V, which basically rendered my A/C useless (system would get confused and the blower fan took on a life of its own). It was replaced under warranty, no questions asked.

Sry off topic, replied to your PM..let me know if you get it

Racer_X 03-18-2012 01:01 PM

Fixer and Irish,

Do you know when they updated the temp sensor? The one in my '11 V12V works better than the one in my '07 V8V, but it still can read really high at times, as when I first drive the car after it's been sitting after a drive.

Irish07@VelocityAP 03-19-2012 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Racer_X (Post 3488980)
Fixer and Irish,

Do you know when they updated the temp sensor? The one in my '11 V12V works better than the one in my '07 V8V, but it still can read really high at times, as when I first drive the car after it's been sitting after a drive.

Don't have the bulliten handy, but it was earlly..like 07-08 models.

Believe it was updated to avoid water ingress, water was getting inside the ambient sensor and corroding it..but this would result in no feed at all.

But if the car was ran, then parked for a few hours..say out for dinner at a resto...the radiator will heat the sensor and give this false reading on startup..while driving sensor will cool down and give correct ambient temp..large percentage of cars have this concern whn the ambient sensor is under the bonnet area..don't know why aston didn't copy volvo..aston used the S40 mirrors but not use there ambient sensor in the mirror, which would have avoided this concern all together

Racer_X 03-19-2012 05:24 PM

Agree it's a stupid place to put the sensor. I can't remember the highest reading I've seen on the V12, but my V8 regularly would give readings of over 120 degrees F (30-40 degrees higher than ambient).

Irish07@VelocityAP 03-20-2012 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Racer_X (Post 3490201)
Agree it's a stupid place to put the sensor. I can't remember the highest reading I've seen on the V12, but my V8 regularly would give readings of over 120 degrees F (30-40 degrees higher than ambient).

Just wanted to be certain, had the bulliten handy now..
Issued:
May 2007

DB9 & V8 Vantage
Safe VIN’s: DB9 A00001-B07577, V8 C00001-C04625

droffsite 03-20-2012 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by irish07 (Post 3490821)
Issued:
May 2007

DB9 & V8 Vantage

Probably a dumb question (the kind I'm best qualified to ask): I have an '06 that's out of warranty. Would I have to pay the dealer to get this fix?

AMFixer 03-20-2012 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by droffsite (Post 3491159)
Probably a dumb question (the kind I'm best qualified to ask): I have an '06 that's out of warranty. Would I have to pay the dealer to get this fix?

No. You should be able to handle this. It is really simple. Should take about 20 mins or so

62Jeff 03-22-2012 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by irish07 (Post 3490821)
Issued:
May 2007

DB9 & V8 Vantage

My 2009 DB9 falls outside of that VIN range, yet my temp readout tonight showed 132f versus an actual exterior temperature of 77f.

So, is that typical behavior for a failed sensor?

Jeff

AMFixer 03-22-2012 06:46 PM

Yes.....

62Jeff 03-22-2012 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by AMFixer (Post 3493670)
Yes.....

Thank you.

droffsite 03-23-2012 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by AMFixer (Post 3491308)
No. You should be able to handle this. It is really simple. Should take about 20 mins or so

Sorry, I'm a little slow. Okay, a lot slow. Do you mean I can do the work myself (presumably after buying the part), or the dealer should take care of it for me no charge?

Thanks again!

AMFixer 03-23-2012 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by droffsite (Post 3494124)

Originally Posted by AMFixer (Post 3491308)

Sorry, I'm a little slow. Okay, a lot slow. Do you mean I can do the work myself (presumably after buying the part), or the dealer should take care of it for me no charge?

Thanks again!

You should be able to handle this. A dealer might charge you for the install. All you need is a 30 torx bit, and about 20mins. Heads up too, once you install the new sensor, it will take a few minutes for the temp to change.

62Jeff 03-23-2012 10:17 AM

Well, now that I know where this sensor is (behind the front grill, right?) I can see it is the "thing" on which I caught my wash mit when I washed the car for the first time.

That probably explains why it worked all the way home from Florida but not after I washed the car once.

Does anyone have the part number so I can call someone and order it? Any preferred parts providers?

AMFixer 03-23-2012 10:22 AM

7G33-19E642-AA, looks to be around $14.00 from a dealer. You may need the last six of your vin when you order it.

62Jeff 03-31-2012 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by 62Jeff (Post 3493666)
My ...temp readout tonight showed 132f versus an actual exterior temperature of 77f.

So, is that typical behavior for a failed sensor?

Originally Posted by AMFixer (Post 3493670)
Yes.....

Originally Posted by 62Jeff (Post 3494249)
Does anyone have the part number so I can call someone and order it? Any preferred parts providers?

Originally Posted by AMFixer (Post 3494254)
7G33-19E642-AA, looks to be around $14.00 from a dealer. You may need the last six of your vin when you order it.

Thanks to the help of this thread, I provided the noted part number to an Aston dealer on Monday, had the new part in my mailbox Friday, and now my 09 DB9 displays accurate exterior temperatures, instead of 132(f) on a cool day.

Thanks! :)

AMFixer 04-02-2012 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by 62Jeff (Post 3502081)
Thanks to the help of this thread, I provided the noted part number to an Aston dealer on Monday, had the new part in my mailbox Friday, and now my 09 DB9 displays accurate exterior temperatures, instead of 132(f) on a cool day.

Thanks! :)

bout how long did it take you to install it....once you figured out how to disconnect it :D

62Jeff 04-02-2012 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by AMFixer (Post 3503416)
bout how long did it take you to install it....once you figured out how to disconnect it :D

I couldn't get enough slack in the wiring to go in from the front, so I had to remove the metal cover from the engine compartment. So, a few minutes to remove all the screws holding the cover in place, a few moments to replace the switch, and a few minutes to reinstall the cover and all those dang screws.

If I had to do it again, maybe 20 minutes total, quicker if I didn't care about scratching anything.

tsang002 08-12-2013 02:37 PM

Hi all, I just purchased a 07 AMV8, love it with only 13800 miles on it. After driving it for the first time in bumper to bumper traffic, with A/C full blast in the summer heat the A/C stopped working, it was blowing hot air. I freak out and then notice the cars temperature was all the way to H and the red led turned on. I hurried up and pull off the frwy and let the car cool down. After 15 min I drove her it back home. I checked the water and it was fine but I notice the temp sensor in front of the car was dangling on the cables. Do you agree that this was the cause that caused the car to over heat? Since then I remounted it back up and drove it hard trying to replicate the issue but to no avail. I had a mechanic test it out running it and having AC on and he could not replicate it. What should I do at this point, replace the sensor anyways or wait till it happens again. My temp reading has always been reading kinda high too? Please help... Should of probably kept my GT3 now!!

oo7 08-12-2013 03:18 PM

My vin falls outside the Bul. #s and reads high temp when in traffic. Was stuck in traffic on an organized drive to OC and recorded a very high temp and when I stalled the car pulling away, it went into limp mode for an emmission fault that I had to reset with obd. Not sure if the high temp was the cause or the stall.

JWHDB9 08-12-2013 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by tsang002 (Post 3914915)
Do you agree that this was the cause that caused the car to over heat? Since then I remounted it back up and drove it hard trying to replicate the issue but to no avail. I had a mechanic test it out running it and having AC on and he could not replicate it. What should I do at this point, replace the sensor anyways or wait till it happens again. My temp reading has always been reading kinda high too? Please help... Should of probably kept my GT3 now!!

Apparently a faulty outside air temperature sensor, not to be confused with the engine temperature sensor, can cause all sorts of problems. Some of them have been mentioned earlier in this thread. Did you notice if the outside air temperature was showing a high (120-140º) reading?

In all probability it’s that the sensor is bad, not that it had come loose. In fact, it’s been suggested that the mounting location is to blame for high readings (probably not really the cause), so it would seem that because it was hanging down in cooler air that would actually help the problem. The fact that remounting it seems to have corrected the situation may be pure coincidence. If it’s an intermittent problem, we all know how much fun those can be to get diagnosed!

A couple of weeks ago the sensor went bad in my DB9 causing multiple problems. The first indication was the constantly high outside temperature reading. The paddle shifters went out but reset when the car was shut down and restarted, the A/C fan was surging intermittently and the A/C wouldn’t hold a constant temperature, and the one that really had me concerned was a brake failure warning. That also went away when the car was restarted, but it made for a nervous ride home!

The sensor was replaced under warranty (it’s a 2011) and that seems to have cured all of the problems (fingers crossed!). The service person I talked to said that when they checked everything out the battery was low and that might have caused the fault warnings, but I had just driven about 250 miles so one would think that would be plenty to have a full charge. He said that I should keep it plugged into the battery conditioner if I’m not driving it nearly every day. I’m not buying that because I’ve been driving it for more than two years without doing that. Also, one of the earlier posts mentioned that a faulty sensor could even cause a DB9 to fail to take a full charge.

Apparently the sensor is (or was) a piece of junk and it can affect any number of electrical components in the car. The service department said that they even had new cars come off the transporter with bad ones. I would definitely replace yours and see if the problems go away. I didn’t intend to write a book on the subject, but as you can see it’s a complicated situation. On the bright side, you didn’t say that you have a Volante so you didn’t get caught in the rain with a top that wouldn’t go up. Good Luck!

tsang002 08-13-2013 12:07 AM

[QUOTE=JWHDB9;3915057]Apparently a faulty outside air temperature sensor, not to be confused with the engine temperature sensor, can cause all sorts of problems. Some of them have been mentioned earlier in this thread. Did you notice if the outside air temperature was showing a high (120-140º) reading?

I notice a 10-20 degree different one day but I never saw it reaching 120-140. Regardless, I will order a new ambient temp sensor and swap it is since it seems inexpensive. Thanks for your response.

Bodessem 12-12-2014 11:16 AM

TSANG,

did this correct your problem? My A/C stopped working as well. My temp was 14 degrees higher than it was outside. As I was driving on the beltway the temp dropped but still higher than the actual temperature. Some of the others had extreme temperature disparity but yours is similar to mine. Thx.

Bodessem

Irish07@VelocityAP 12-12-2014 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Bodessem (Post 4253695)
TSANG,

did this correct your problem? My A/C stopped working as well. My temp was 14 degrees higher than it was outside. As I was driving on the beltway the temp dropped but still higher than the actual temperature. Some of the others had extreme temperature disparity but yours is similar to mine. Thx.

Bodessem

The ambient temp should not be more than 5C off..not compared to the local weather channel but rather 5-6 inchs from the front grill..now if your just sitting in stop/go traffic and notice the display temp rise, this can be normal

BMW-North 06-18-2019 07:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My ambient air temperature sensor (AATS) was never as far off as some mentioned earlier in this thread but it always read wrong. It was typically 10-15C above what the actual temperature outside was. I thought it was due to it's position so I relocated it lower, & away from any heat soak. No change. I thought odd - saw the AM tech bulletin referenced earlier so decided I'll just replace it. Problem solved.

Why bother? I've never had the pleasure of analysing Aston Martin engine ECU logic but if it's anything like other manufacturers (I.e. BMW) the AATS can impact heavily on the operation of the engine in determining the fuel/air mixtures and the operation of the climate control. Some makes have multiple air temp sensors including using the MAF(s) (beyond just volume) and additional intake manifold air temp sensors to improve accuracy - but every sensor piece of input into the engine ECU can be considered to determine outcomes via algebraic calculations and logic decisions. .

Other related actions including the correct operation of climate control systems can be off when the vehicle thinks the outside air temp is something other than it actually is. I'v seen dozens of (BMW) owners who cannot get the AC on cause the ECU believes it is minus 40C outside and prevents the operation as a safety.

In my quest to replace the AATS I stumbled onto another OE cross reference - the sensor is actually made by GE for several makes including Land Rover, Rover, Toyota, Lexus and Mitsubishi. The core GE number is 0775005191 - makes finding it and shipping it much simpler. I ordered mine on Amazon for a Prius and had it in 2 days - free shipping.

GWP 11-14-2020 09:20 AM

Replace Temp Sensor

Guys:
The temp sensor is cheap, very easy to replace and cures a multitude of issues related to both interior and engine temp issues. Remove the slam panel and you can reach down to get your hand on the sensor. I got my new sensor from Redpants and installed it in about 20 minutes.

J doubleU 11-14-2020 03:10 PM

If the temperature is off more than 10% it's a good idea to change it, as mentioned above it has an effect on multiple items on the car from how the top operates on a Roadster and how the clutch engages and releases on a Sport Shift vehicle as well.

Good reference on the part # and source!