6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Aston Martin (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin-39/)
-   -   OEM battery tender/conditioner '07 V8V (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin/272610-oem-battery-tender-conditioner-07-v8v.html)

Aston.Ca 04-10-2012 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by sunir (Post 3511019)
I was thinking about getting a ctek for my db9, which one should I get for the Aston and where/how do I hook it onto the db9? On my sl55 Amg merc and bmw race car I use a ctek 3300 units run Into battery terminals in the rear, simple. The Porsche gt2 gets a ctek 4300 hooked to the odyssey dry cell up front. But on the Aston dn9 the battery is under the passenger rear seat bottom. So what to do with he db9? I'd like to be able to run a ctek to the trunk area or somewhere in the engine bay if possible and where easiest so I can store the car with the indoor Aston car cover on her. It's a very fitting cover so just want to have a setup where I can close (or nearly close) the trunk/boot or hood/bonnet without having to worry about the charger wire... I prefer the permanent (bolt upto battery terminals) setup ctek offers to attach so the charger can be plugged in to that directly instead of using the alligator clamps on the battery terminals...thanks for any help :)

I've seen the 800, the 36 and the MXS5.0 (formerly the 4003) all offered as alernatives to the OEM by dealers online. I bought the OEM as I did not realize you could simply use the CTek cigarette adapter in order to plug it in to the outlet in the trunk. I leave the unit in the trunk and run the AC power cable out to an extension cord as it's in a secure but public garage when I have it plugged in and I didn't want to run the risk of having it swiped. There might be a small risk of fire I suppose with this, but that's how I use it.

sunir 04-10-2012 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by XJRS Owner (Post 3511164)
It plugs into a cigar lighter socket in the trunk and has a quick disconnect in the harness. You leave the plug and disconnect haness in the trunk and the CTEK unit outside. You can completely close the trunk lid without any problem. You can use the either CTEK unit, but the smaller one is the same as the OEM AM unit.

okay so in the truck there is a socket...right? and so then where do I get the part that plugs into the socket on one end and has the adapeter (I'm guessing the flat little 3 prong adapter) on the otehr end to plug the ctek or AM charger into?

...or can I get the entire kit from ctek as AC mentioned? the ctek charger (wall on one side and adpater on the other) w/ proper trunk kit with ctek adapter on one side and plug-in for the Aston trunk socket on the other side.

62Jeff 04-10-2012 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by sunir (Post 3511517)
so then where do I get the part that plugs into the socket on one end and has the adapeter (I'm guessing the flat little 3 prong adapter) on the otehr end to plug the ctek or AM charger into?

amazon.com

sunir 04-11-2012 09:23 PM

^^^ that is perfect, looks like AM thought of a nice way to keep the battery charged...looks like it's a snap, easier than my other cars...just a trunk mounted cig lighter adapter and a ctek and we're done! and you can close the boot to accomomodate the snug factory AM car cover, they thought of everything!

Aston.Ca 04-11-2012 10:05 PM

Yup that's exactly how I run mine and and the extension cord fits easily through the gap around the rear hatch and I have not observed it causing any defect in the rubber gasket. The guy w the 911 in the spot next to mine has some odd AC adapter setup and has to run the cord through his passenger door.

MichaelD 04-12-2012 11:59 AM

Thats the way they recommend you use it, CTEK in the trunk, wire out through the tailgate, single click of the tailgate and the alarm will still work OK. Don't close it fully or you may damage the wire. If you don't press the tailgate down to that first click, then the car won't lock and the alarm won't set.

I usually just click it down, then check I can't lift it without pressing the chrome button.

sunir 04-12-2012 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by MichaelD (Post 3513617)
Thats the way they recommend you use it, CTEK in the trunk, wire out through the tailgate, single click of the tailgate and the alarm will still work OK. Don't close it fully or you may damage the wire. If you don't press the tailgate down to that first click, then the car won't lock and the alarm won't set.

I usually just click it down, then check I can't lift it without pressing the chrome button.

Excellent advice MichaelD...I am always worreid about the charger wire also...

Airborne Ranger 04-19-2012 10:47 AM

Quick update since I'm the OP...

my AM has had the tender/maintainer plugged in for about a week now and I have been diligent about checking the light daily on my way out of the house as well as on my way back into the house and it does in fact turn green- but being a fully automatic "tender"- it will go to amber as needed. I believe I just was catching the tender during it's charging state... all is good in the hood. thanks for all the replies.
-Tim