Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Which wheel nuance would you choose?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 06:11 AM
Former Vendor
One@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud of
Yes, that is a rendering and it is stated as such! But there will be concavity, I will talk to our engineering team to see how much exactly and bring the update over here later today.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:09 AM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by One@D2Forged
Yes, that is a rendering and it is stated as such! But there will be concavity, I will talk to our engineering team to see how much exactly and bring the update over here later today.
I never implied that you didn't fully disclose it was a rendering. I'm sorry if that was misconstrued.

My only point is that many people who have tried getting deeply concave wheels for the V8V have been a bit disappointed at the results. Because the hubs on the car sit rather outboard on the axles, attempting to increase concavity would increase the offset to the point where the wheel protrudes beyond the fender line. This is particularly true on the front. As a result, the front wheels have almost not concavity and don't wind up looking nearly as awesome as your rendering.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:41 AM
Former Vendor
One@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud of
I just got word from the engineering department, we can get close to that, around 0.5 inches of that setup and the look on the rendering on an aggressive AMV8 setup! Most of our setups does have front with slight concave profile, where we go aggressive with it in the rear. If you and any others are interested, we can get you a call scheduled where the geeks explain on what, where and how exactly is done!

Old 05-15-2012, 10:30 AM
Aston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really nice
Originally Posted by karlfranz
I never implied that you didn't fully disclose it was a rendering. I'm sorry if that was misconstrued.

My only point is that many people who have tried getting deeply concave wheels for the V8V have been a bit disappointed at the results. Because the hubs on the car sit rather outboard on the axles, attempting to increase concavity would increase the offset to the point where the wheel protrudes beyond the fender line. This is particularly true on the front. As a result, the front wheels have almost not concavity and don't wind up looking nearly as awesome as your rendering.
Agree. You can see this effect on the wheels that Stewman has (posted earlier in the thread). There were also spacers used I believe but I think he's going to post more detail on that wheel at some point soon. But you can certainly see the effect of the relative lateral position of the hub in the wheel well on the rears in that pic.

If you're someone who like some degree of spacing and also want concavity then you will likely be able to satisfy both of those on a Vantage. But if you want deeply concave _and_ have the rubber more or less flush with the arch, you've going to be disappointed.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:34 AM
Former Vendor
When talking about wheels, you need to take into account that some wheels (like ours) are custom created with our customers. This means no spacers are used, no rubbing is seen with our setups and we make sure the fitment is perfect regarding customer's wishes. With that being said, I'm sure that we can deliver a setup that will offer goodies from both worlds (concavity and flush fitment) with an AMV8 setup! It all depends what he/she would want.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:43 AM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Aston.Ca
Agree. You can see this effect on the wheels that Stewman has (posted earlier in the thread). There were also spacers used I believe but I think he's going to post more detail on that wheel at some point soon. But you can certainly see the effect of the relative lateral position of the hub in the wheel well on the rears in that pic.

If you're someone who like some degree of spacing and also want concavity then you will likely be able to satisfy both of those on a Vantage. But if you want deeply concave _and_ have the rubber more or less flush with the arch, you've going to be disappointed.
I'm not sure I follow your logic. If you want the maximum amout of concavity, you don't want to use any spacers. By keeping the wheel mounting surface of the hub as far inboard as possible (i.e. no spacers) and making a wheel design with an offset that brings the rim edge and spokes as close as possible to the wheel arch you will maximize the concavity.

Old 05-15-2012, 11:41 AM
Former Vendor
As karlfranz explained. You need aggressive fitment to keep the concavity of the wheel as much as you can possibly do. Any movement of the wheel's center to the wheel arches results in less space to use for a concave design. That's why most concave designs have almost no lip in front of the spokes which are in hand placed all the way to the end of the wheel. If you are going for a lip, then the opposite is what you want, but in those cases most people want no concavity at all with it.

Old 05-15-2012, 12:09 PM
Aston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really nice
Originally Posted by karlfranz
I'm not sure I follow your logic. If you want the maximum amout of concavity, you don't want to use any spacers. By keeping the wheel mounting surface of the hub as far inboard as possible (i.e. no spacers) and making a wheel design with an offset that brings the rim edge and spokes as close as possible to the wheel arch you will maximize the concavity.
My point was if you want your wheels to protrude beyond the wheel well and have concavity, then the Vantage will easily let you accomplish that with custom rims. Was not implying that you would use spacers for this, simply that the rim alone should accomplish that look (used the word 'spacing' to describe protrusion, apologies if that was confusing).

I was not sure why Stew's wheel set up also had spacers but perhaps he'll explain when he posts a thread on his car.

Old 05-15-2012, 12:48 PM
SSWIM is on a distinguished road

Sam

Old 05-15-2012, 01:44 PM
CJPatel has a spectacular aura aboutCJPatel has a spectacular aura about
Some more contrast pics of the sport package wheels from MY 2010+

Old 05-15-2012, 03:10 PM
adulay is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by One@D2Forged
Personally, this is my all time Aston Martin favorite setup we did!
I'm biased, but D2 Forged VS1 is the way to go ... The HRE's on Jay's car are also another option, as they fill out the wheel wells nicely and have a clean finish to them. I find that there are very few rims out there that match the Aston body lines and personality, as well as ones that don't take away from the beauty of the car itself. I'm in the same boat as others when it comes to wheels, nothing flashy or over the top, but rather something that adds to the elegance of the AM mark. At the end of the day, it's whatever you feel works best on your DB9. You'll always have people that don't agree with the selection because everyone has different taste, but hey if you like it, go for it!

Here are a couple more pics of my car from a shoot the previous owner did, in case you decide to go with the VS1's ...

Last edited by adulay; 05-15-2012 at 03:17 PM.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:02 PM
Former Vendor
Thanks for the kind words, we really appreciate it! You can always get the VS1 without the fasteners, if you want a cleaner look for example. Or go with the monoblock, then select MB1 and get the spokes all the way to the wheel end and get more filled wheel arches that way, what ever you like! We always make sure each and every request from our customers is filled! That is the only way to go.

Old 05-15-2012, 05:28 PM
Stewman is on a distinguished road
I will take more pictures of my set-up this long weekend......i too wanted something stylish and something that didnot detract from the iconic beauty of the aston all the while maintaining its prestige....

The rear fitment was near perfect...I just could not get the cap to snap in completely..so I went with the smallest speacer to address this..the mfg. was willing to correct this for me and promises to address this in the future...but with long distance shipping it was not worth it to me...to counter this irregularity i put a slightly larger spacer on the fronts.

The rears are deeply concave and fronts slightly...20x10.5 and 20 x 8.5...I should have went with ( 9) on the fronts...no big issue,,,every angle has different and appealing features..that is all i wanted..new shoes for a new to me car......the comments and people wanting to take photos continue

Old 05-16-2012, 12:08 PM
Former Vendor
As a suggestion, if the author of the thread really wants something brushed, chromed or such, maybe go with this?

Old 05-16-2012, 01:36 PM
X7LDA is on a distinguished road
Price?

I'd love to know how much the VS1's are, shipped to Scotland UK....?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Which wheel nuance would you choose?