Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Which wheel nuance would you choose?

Old 05-12-2012, 03:25 AM
mfrankel is on a distinguished road
Which wheel nuance would you choose?

I know in asking the question of this group that I’m going to get “none of the above” from some….which is fine, I appreciate the opinion nonetheless.
So at 18K miles on the car and on the original tires, I need a new set of tires and am using this as an excuse to upgrade from the stock wheels on my DB9. I’m Black on Black, tinted windows, and just chrome around the windows, front grill and side vent fin.

After pouring over wheel websites, including those of our forum sponsors, I’ve picked an Asanti wheel that I like. It’s a bit flashier than a flat 5 point, but I don’t think it is too much. I like curves for many reasons……but I think the DB9 is a car with beautiful curves and a curvy spoked rim will look more complementary than a sharp angled rim.

Here’s my internal debate…..I agree with some others here that full chrome can come across a bit less sophisticated so I like the look of adding in black. I like gunmetal or brushed metal with black on wheels…but that isn’t exactly a fit for a car with chrome accents (neither are the current stock grey rims).

1 -Do I need to go black/chrome to be a better fit, or will the brushed metal look better?

2- Piano or Matte Black?

The pictures below are a flat version, but I like the concave.
Below are the 4 variations. 2 with a chrome/brushed rim, 2 with black. 2 with inner angles black, 2 with outer angles black. Yeah, I know, not big differences, but I’m having fun with this…and spending some coin so I want to make a good decision.

3- Which do you prefer?

Attached Images     
Old 05-12-2012, 09:07 AM
Jarod has a spectacular aura aboutJarod has a spectacular aura about
None of the above ;-) but it's always hard to tell how they look mounted on the car. Perhaps they are not too bad after all.

To your questions

1 I m not a big fan of chrome, so I would go for the brushed metal ones.
2 I would prefer piano black but it could be matt looks better with brushed metal though.
3 I like the second from the left most, even if they are shown as the chrome version.

Last edited by Jarod; 05-12-2012 at 10:39 AM.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:23 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
I'm going to have to agree with the none of the above. Personally, chrome wheels, even if only the center is chrome, do not belong on an Aston. Just seems to cheapen the car IMO.

Old 05-12-2012, 10:23 AM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
NOTA, unfortunately.

And it's not because I hate aftermarket wheels. Some simply don't work, as is the case here.

Old 05-12-2012, 12:14 PM
AXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to behold
Ditto... Sorry

Old 05-12-2012, 01:14 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
NOTA as well.

Old 05-12-2012, 03:04 PM
chirag is a jewel in the roughchirag is a jewel in the roughchirag is a jewel in the rough
Hre/adv1...

Old 05-12-2012, 03:45 PM
jaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to behold
Just a thought.

Attached Images  
Old 05-12-2012, 05:29 PM
gekko will become famous soon enoughgekko will become famous soon enough
mfrankel - I have to agree with the consensus, not a fan of those wheels.

I believe when ones looks at a car, your eyes should not be draw to the wheels immediately, those wheels seem out of character with the car.

Here's a few suggestions I might have for you - ADV.1, GIG or the DB9 Sports Pack Wheels.

Attached Images      
Old 05-12-2012, 07:15 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jaymoney
Just a thought.
Jay, I love the finish on your wheels. What is it called?

Old 05-12-2012, 08:17 PM
Racer X, my SoCal AM brother who was bold enough to put a stripe on your car and have a lipstick discussion....et tu Brute?

I appreciate the hones feedback...and unfortunately consensus.

Thanks also to those taking the extra time to give alternatives, I've yet to look but will. Gekko, I think you may speak for the group in saying the wheels should not be the attention getter...I like the kind of attention I get in my Aston, and I was taking the same tack of picking a wheel that I thought was beautiful, but not overly flashy....kind of like our cars, and thinking wheel + car when you all seem to see wheel vs car. I appreciate (and expected) the candor, and I still have plenty of Ego to spare.

Jay Money, I actually thought of your wheels...I like the machine metal + Black look, and they're a bit more racy than run-of-the-mill. Ultimately I crossed them off the list as a V12V look and maybe not a good crossover to the DB9....don't even know if they would fit.

I think I'm looking for something a bit more than the standard ADV-1...which I recognize are beautiful in their simplicity. I guess I'm looking for something more special while still being complementary vs. the impression the Asanti wheel gave you all.

I'll go back to the drawing board and illicit feedback again....I do need to get this done. If any others have feedback or suggestions, bring it on. Thanks guys.

Old 05-12-2012, 08:38 PM
Aston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really nice
I'm voting with the group as well but, within the context of your 4 choices would select #1.

But if you want wheels with contrast, have you considered the recent sport pack version?

Old 05-12-2012, 09:57 PM
bmw tuning is on a distinguished road
Rotiform. look em up quality w/ incredible looks. Big fat lips or 5 yrs, ago get somethin with deep concave! GL

Old 05-13-2012, 02:08 AM
Rotiform is not something I had seem before. So you prefer 1 to 2?....had to ask. Both are concave with similar lip size.
I'm thinking 1 with Black background & Machined face similar to the OEM Sport Vantage & V12V look...which I agree suit these cars well. Any thumbs up responses form my tough bretheren?

Attached Images   
Old 05-13-2012, 07:27 AM
Aston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really nice
The Rotiform model does look good. Not sure whether Stewman is willing to share pics yet of his car but he has some interesting and deeply concave (for a V8V) custom wheels on his. I know he wants to wait to get his windshield fixed before he posts pics tho.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Which wheel nuance would you choose?