Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

DB9 w/H&R sport springs - HRE P44SC next...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 04:25 PM
LRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond repute
DB9 w/H&R sport springs - HRE P44SC next...

I installed the H&R sport springs on the DB9 couple weekends ago. Lowered the rear 1" and the front 1/2". Had it aligned but think I'm going to have a little more of the negative camber in the rear taken out. Rides great albeit just a bit stiffer. Really makes the need for spacers on stock wheels a must but, my HREs are in transit so the fenders will be filled out soon.

I've changed out suspension on several cars over the years and the AM was most definitely the easiest to do......

Last edited by LRDog; 06-07-2012 at 04:28 PM.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:07 PM
spinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to behold
Looks great! Heads up on a potential issue, though. I had the same springs on my V8V along with HRE's and there were clearance issues on the inside of the rear wheels, enough of a problem that I would not have continued to run the HRE's if I had kept the car. I had no idea there was a problem until the car was getting serviced (it wasn't something you could feel or hear). FYI the OEM wheels did not rub, being narrower and of different offset. The culprit is that the car sits too low at the rear and there is too much camber, which you seem to have recognized, based on your post.

BTW, gorgeous colour!

Old 06-07-2012, 05:59 PM
LRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond repute
^^^Thanks. Wonder if there is any more under the DB9 vs.V8? To me, it looks like the stock setup on the rear DB9 vs. V8 has the wheels further under the car on the DB9 compared to the V8? There could easily be a 25mm spacer added to my current setup and that might not even be enough to get the wheels out to the fender lips. Thoughts? Wonder how much of the negative camber I can get out?

Old 06-07-2012, 06:08 PM
pohsjky is on a distinguished road
wow, Look Awesome, great job.

Old 06-07-2012, 06:10 PM
spinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to behold
There was a thread on PistonHeads some time ago, where a guy got custom spring perches to raise the rear slightly for this exact reason. Unfortunately, I can't find it. Some help, huh?

Try sending a pm to irish07; I know he has been thinking about this in the past, and might have some ideas for you.

Old 06-07-2012, 06:18 PM
yvr
yvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud of
Looks great. You're braver than I am -- I've touched the nose to the ground a couple of times and think I'll stick with standard ride height.

Old 06-07-2012, 06:30 PM
Originally Posted by spinecho
There was a thread on PistonHeads some time ago, where a guy got custom spring perches to raise the rear slightly for this exact reason. Unfortunately, I can't find it. Some help, huh?

Try sending a pm to irish07; I know he has been thinking about this in the past, and might have some ideas for you.
Thanks. I was wondering about spring perches to raise it a bit. Hopefully I can get more of the negative camber out and the HREs will sit far enough out to where there will be no issues. My wheel guy and HRE know I lowered the car with H&R at the same time.......

BTW, you never said what the issue was? Tire rubbing?

Old 06-07-2012, 06:31 PM
Originally Posted by yvr
Looks great. You're braver than I am -- I've touched the nose to the ground a couple of times and think I'll stick with standard ride height.
You just have to be more careful...... The dip out of my tire guys place is the most severe I've ever seen, I went out at an angle and never touched.

Old 06-07-2012, 06:45 PM
I just went out to the garage and looked how much room I have in the rear wheel wells. There is at least 2" to the closest suspension piece or plastic wheel well liner. My car is up on my lift right now so it's easy to see. The wheels I'm putting on are 10.5" wide and the tires are 295s so not that much wider than stock. Was there issues with DB9s or just V8s?

Old 06-08-2012, 05:52 AM
boosting1bar is on a distinguished road
I have a DB9 with those same springs and have run into this same issue of what wheels will fit and what won't. I'll look forward to seeing yours and I hope they fit because I'd really hoped to get either a set of HREs or those Vorsteiners posted a while back.

Old 06-08-2012, 12:11 PM
Originally Posted by LRDog
BTW, you never said what the issue was? Tire rubbing?
The tire was hitting the half shaft cover.

Old 06-08-2012, 02:08 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by spinecho
The tire was hitting the half shaft cover.
That's simply impossible.

Old 06-08-2012, 02:24 PM
I do not claim to be a mechanic, so perhaps I am paraphrasing inaccurately. The problem was brought to my attention last summer, and the half shaft boot needed replacing, if I recall correctly.

Old 06-08-2012, 05:06 PM
Got a PM from irish07 and it seems the axle boots are the issue; it's said that b/c of the new angle of the half shaft after lowering, they rub in spots on the boot and chaffing occurs and they eventually wear a hole requiring replacement of the axle b/c you cannot replace the boot itself. Someone correct me if I've got that wrong...... I checked mine tonight and I'm not seeing where there might be an issue. Nowhere are the boots touching to where there would be a chafing issue. I took some pics that I'll post later.

Old 06-08-2012, 09:56 PM
Korn58 is on a distinguished road
I have H&R sport springs, HRE 11" wheels on the back with 305 tires on my 07 V8V and have not had any rubbing issues and I've run the hard at a few events. May be HRE changed the offset to make a little more room.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DB9 w/H&R sport springs - HRE P44SC next...