Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

I would trade my Aston for a...(fill in blank)

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 1.00 average.

Old 08-29-2012, 01:03 PM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by astonboy
Back to topic: I would trade my V8V for a substancially revised V8V that matches todays standards, i. e. turbo charged, more efficient engine that delivers acceptable torque at lower revs and a double clutch system.
I was with you until you said "turbocharged."

Old 08-29-2012, 01:38 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Racer_X
I was with you until you said "turbocharged."
I understand... Sort of, but forced induction can increase performance , while keeping an engine lighter (smaller), reducing emissions, etc...

He did add with enough low-end torque... Perhaps even a hybrid (talk about a leap in technology), so the electric can power instantly up to 'x' RPM, right into the turbo spool range... C'mon, we can dream, right?

Old 08-29-2012, 01:42 PM
Benjamin09 is on a distinguished road
I'd trade it in for .....NOTHING! I'D BUY IT A FRIEND!!
MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Old 08-30-2012, 05:26 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
but forced induction can increase performance , while keeping an engine lighter (smaller),
Exactly my concern. I don't want the Vantage to use a V6 or, god forbid, a four cylinder. Even with better power/torque, we'd still lose that great sound.

Old 08-30-2012, 06:20 AM
Aston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really nice
Exactly my concern. I don't want the Vantage to use a V6 or, god forbid, a four cylinder. Even with better power/torque, we'd still lose that great sound.
Well ... they could always record it from one of our cars and play it back through the sound system like the new M5

Old 08-30-2012, 06:34 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Of course. Some customers of Aston prefer the growl of a large displacement engine... But - sometimes the industry drives the demand (other way around). Look at the pony car segment - way back when, there were roaring V8's (the glory days), then (because of other conditions) the engines were made smaller, but then eventually became smaller and more powerful. People's views changed.

I mean, it's entirely possible to have a car like the Fisker Karma, that actually works! What happens when batteries are refined enough to allow continuous power for 10,000 miles without a charge, and can offer 1000lbs-ft torque instantly, and only weigh 5 lbs?

Obviously, I'm being extreme, but you see what I'm getting at. We are in the glory days of big displacment V8's and V12's offering 600-900HP through a combustion engine burning gasoline. But these days are passing. The first company with a viable solution that appeals to the masses, will win.

Old 08-30-2012, 07:24 AM
Of course. Some customers of Aston prefer the growl of a large displacement engine... But - sometimes the industry drives the demand (other way around). Look at the pony car segment - way back when, there were roaring V8's (the glory days), then (because of other conditions) the engines were made smaller, but then eventually became smaller and more powerful. People's views changed.
Some people's views have changed. Give me the roar of a V8/V12 any day over a smaller turbocharged engine.

Originally Posted by Aston.Ca
Well ... they could always record it from one of our cars and play it back through the sound system like the new M5
Exactly! How pathetic is that? I still can't believe that BMW did this. I have a friend who placed an order for a new M5 but cancelled it once he heard about the simulated engine sounds.

Old 08-30-2012, 07:49 AM
Originally Posted by Aston.Ca
Well ... they could always record it...
I cannot dignify what BMW did...

Horrible.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:41 AM
RossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond repute

I mean, it's entirely possible to have a car like the Fisker Karma, that actually works! What happens when batteries are refined enough to allow continuous power for 10,000 miles without a charge, and can offer 1000lbs-ft torque instantly, and only weigh 5 lbs?

Obviously, I'm being extreme, but you see what I'm getting at. We are in the glory days of big displacment V8's and V12's offering 600-900HP through a combustion engine burning gasoline. But these days are passing. The first company with a viable solution that appeals to the masses, will win.
This is true but you need to put a time frame on how long before this happens. We aren't even remotely close today and IMO the batteries of today will never get there. We need an alternate source or invent a new "battery".

Cars today that run on batteries make no sense to me. Batteries have a short life and are horrible for the environment.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:53 AM
Originally Posted by RossL
This is true but you need to put a time frame on how long before this happens. We aren't even remotely close today and IMO the batteries of today will never get there. We need an alternate source or invent a new "battery".

Cars today that run on batteries make no sense to me. Batteries have a short life and are horrible for the environment.
I agree, wholeheartedly. And you are 100% correct. I guess, I'm trying VERY hard to keep an open mind about the limitless improvements that can be made to performance/luxury cars. The realm of what's currently happening in sports cars today (combustion engines, hybrids, etc...) is only a fraction of what is eventually possible if somebody comes up with the right idea.

I don't know why we can't have little nuclear fusion reactors instead of gasoline engines... How cool would that be?

Old 08-30-2012, 12:32 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
I think that the days of a viable alternate source of propulsion energy is a bit far, but there are strides being done each day to resolve things like range anxiety, production pollution mitigation and so forth. I think auto makers are going to forced induction small discplacement engines and of course we see a rise in hybrid gas/electric vehicles like fisker that use redundant energy, gas/fossil fuels to power a motor which in turn generates electric energy to drive the wheels, not new...diesel locomotives have been doing this since the 50's!

I love the sound of the big 6L v12 in my Aston, it roars wonderfully but it's not an efficient powerplant...I love it for different reasons it's sound is glorious, it's presence is regal, and it's power and torque are very diliberate and linear In contrast the 3.6L Metzger engine in my Porsche GT2 is much more efficent and creates 550 rwhp, basically in stock form! There is nothing that feels the same as when a turbo engine spools and shoved you back into your seat..when the boost hits it's game over...I love it! Give me turbos anyday!!!

Old 08-30-2012, 01:13 PM
astonboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Sorry, going back to my origianl post: Ok, must not be a turbo charger but any other technique that improves torque at lower revs significantly and gives a more relaxed ride.

I love the V8 roar as well but it can get embarrassing at times ... it roars like a big big lion but pulls away like a kitten. BMWs or Audis with their big Diesels follow you (quietly!) and you cannot escape.

Roar and design deserve an adequate performance, IMHO. And this is to be achieved yet.

Last edited by astonboy; 08-30-2012 at 01:24 PM.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:17 AM
RossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond repute
I agree, wholeheartedly. And you are 100% correct. I guess, I'm trying VERY hard to keep an open mind about the limitless improvements that can be made to performance/luxury cars. The realm of what's currently happening in sports cars today (combustion engines, hybrids, etc...) is only a fraction of what is eventually possible if somebody comes up with the right idea.

I don't know why we can't have little nuclear fusion reactors instead of gasoline engines... How cool would that be?
I look forward to the day that I have a car that goes from 0 to 100 just by pressing the pedal . I want a "sports vehicle" that feels like the launch of a roller coaster!

Old 08-31-2012, 01:04 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by RossL
I look forward to the day that I have a car that goes from 0 to 100 just by pressing the pedal . I want a "sports vehicle" that feels like the launch of a roller coaster!
they have that already...launch control on a GTR or Ferrari 599 GTO or Porsche Turbo S PDK (this one is the most impressive of the 3 if each car is stock) ...LC and sequential gearboxes done changed the 0-60 game!

Old 08-31-2012, 03:19 PM
Originally Posted by sunir
they have that already...launch control on a GTR or Ferrari 599 GTO or Porsche Turbo S PDK (this one is the most impressive of the 3 if each car is stock) ...LC and sequential gearboxes done changed the 0-60 game!
Electric still has more torque

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: I would trade my Aston for a...(fill in blank)