6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Aston Martin (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin-39/)
-   -   New Member Here! (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin/285735-new-member-here.html)

Johncy2000 09-04-2012 02:19 PM

New Member Here!

Hello guys! My name is Johncy and am currently in the market for an Aston Martin DB9. Just wanted to introduce myself to the community. There is a 2005 DB9 Coupe for sale 20 min away from where I live and it has 17,000 miles and is a two owner car. What should I ask the saleperson about service on the car. What are common issues with the early model DB9? Are there and service updates that need to be performed if they havnt been done already? Thank you for your time guys! Great to be part of the biggest community on the Internet. -Johncy

LRDog 09-04-2012 03:46 PM

I'd start by asking if they have the car's history and if they do not, do they have access to it? If no to both, I'd run....

Oh..... You might also get a hold of a paint meter that reads on aluminum and check the paint thickness. Thick paint doesn't always indicate a problem but it does tell you that you should dig deeper into the car's history.

yvr 09-04-2012 04:15 PM

Step 1: Get the book! https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...de-update.html
It will really spell out all the issues and changes from year to year.

2005 had some issues that should have been sorted if properly serviced:
- Automatic transmission cooler hose connections sometimes failed due to corrosion ($1.5-2K to fix).
- heated rear window could implode while heating (software update required),
- Differential juddering during low speed turns (diff additive required),
- Door locking issues (you think it's locked but it's not). Door modules might need to be replaced.

And yes, get the full service history.

Johncy2000 09-04-2012 05:22 PM

Thank you very much for the replies guys. I just got back from the dealership and WOW I am impressedwith how soulful the db9 drives. Its like a car from out of this world. The sound it makes is intoxicating but classy. They do have the Carfax and it went under a 128 point inspection. The car needs nothing the salesman said. I checked the oil and it was good. Brakes have 75% left on them and the transmission shifted perfectly. I believe this is the TT1 transmission. What is the difference between TT1 and TT2? It almost felt like a single clutch automatic but smoother. Anyways I am trying to get the car for 68K but we are at 70k plus tax right now.

LRDog 09-04-2012 06:02 PM

Car fax is useless..... All it tells you for sure is that the car will have a good title. How does the salesman know it needs nothing? Service records? Buyer beware. Do your due diligence...... Don't make an emotional mistake....

dicktahoe 09-04-2012 06:16 PM

Here's a few more nearby to you to consider. Also look for a DB-9 that is Non-smoking, and make sure you get the options you want. The basic A-M is pretty stripped, so Cruise Control, Heated Seats, Upgrade Audio, etc are all extras--that can add $20,000 to the Original MSRP.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...dius=200&Log=0

Johncy2000 09-04-2012 06:30 PM

Your right LRDog. When I asked for the maintenance records he said the previous owner kept it confidential. I have no idea what has been done to the car service wise. Maybe the silver one in santa rosa will do. Its a one owner with maintenance records.

LRDog 09-04-2012 06:38 PM

^^^ good call! You have to ask yourself why anyone would keep the service records confidential? Is there that much bad history on the car? That's what I would think if somebody said that to me.

Johncy2000 09-04-2012 07:26 PM

Ya I am going to call them back tomorrow and urge them to find the service records for the car. It really is a must when you are dealing with an 7 year old car.

BTW your DB9 has given me inspiration to to modify the aston when I get it. Stunning color and stunning wheels man!

I plan on doing:

-RSC Tuning SS Exhaust
-RSC 100 Cell Cats
-RSC ECU Flash
-RSC Air Filters
-And a mod that has not been done to any Aston yet. I will provide more info as it gets closer to production. I want to keep it secret. haha

Racer_X 09-04-2012 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by LRDog (Post 3633126)
^^^ good call! You have to ask yourself why anyone would keep the service records confidential? Is there that much bad history on the car? That's what I would think if somebody said that to me.

Exactly. You almost have to expect the worst in this situation. There must be something to hide.

dehnert 09-04-2012 08:15 PM

Greetings

Greetings Johncy2000, it will be nice to have another member from the Santa Rosa area.

FYI, I've had great luck dealing with the AM folks at the Marin dealership. Both of the guys I know in the service department are true car guys, and they have gone out of their way to assist me when ever I needed something out of the ordinary.

Welcome!!

jmorod 09-04-2012 08:21 PM

You might want to look past the 05. It's a 1st year model and are notorious for coil issues. Not cheap to fix. Be very careful.

XJRS Owner 09-04-2012 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Johncy2000 (Post 3633066)
I believe this is the TT1 transmission. What is the difference between TT1 and TT2? It almost felt like a single clutch automatic but smoother. Anyways I am trying to get the car for 68K but we are at 70k plus tax right now.

All DB9 and DBS models are TT2 (or 6-speed manual). TT1 was on the DB7. And of course it is smooth since it is a conventional automatic trans.

Johncy2000 09-04-2012 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by dehnert (Post 3633221)
Greetings Johncy2000, it will be nice to have another member from the Santa Rosa area.

FYI, I've had great luck dealing with the AM folks at the Marin dealership. Both of the guys I know in the service department are true car guys, and they have gone out of their way to assist me when ever I needed something out of the ordinary.

Welcome!!

I'm actually in the Atherton area. Marin seems kind of far. Whats the going cost per hour at the dealer?

Originally Posted by jmorod (Post 3633225)
You might want to look past the 05. It's a 1st year model and are notorious for coil issues. Not cheap to fix. Be very careful.

How much would coils be to fix? Maybe this issue only arises to DB9s that sit for a long time. The car I drove has been driven alot 17k to be exact.

Johncy2000 09-04-2012 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by XJRS Owner (Post 3633292)
All DB9 and DBS models are TT2 (or 6-speed manual). TT1 was on the DB7. And of course it is smooth since it is a conventional automatic trans.

O nice so I actually drove a TT2 tranny! YES!