Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Latest Vanquish II video

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 06:51 AM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Latest Vanquish II video

Enjoy:

Old 09-08-2012, 08:13 AM
plastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to all
The new Vanquish has more boldness and austerity, but it sacrifices the smooth elegant curves of its traditional design. It is....different. It will have to grow on me.
Things I question are the design angularity of the front carbon flippers (people have deemed catfish like), and why didn't they clear the rear tail lights?
I just hope Aston doesn't go too far "lambo-like" like many other cars, e.g. That is why I'm not so keen on the front of the 458 Italia.

Old 09-08-2012, 12:40 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
Wow what a sexy video! Keep on marketing the vanq like that and it's bound to capture interest and tug on heart strings! I cannot, however, stand it's reptile like leather interior with scales, strange stitching, lumps and bumps and all that... I think a nice diamond stitching like you get in a bentley would have been better!

Old 09-08-2012, 12:51 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
awesome vid, thanks for posting it.

Old 09-08-2012, 02:51 PM
merosenb is on a distinguished road
Hmm...superb engine note, but it seems to have lost the essential Aston Martin DNA in favor of a patchwork of homages to other popular designs. From the rear, it looks like a new Carrera and I miss the sexy curves of the back windows. From the side it evokes the Ferrari California. It's also a little agressive in the body...carbon fiber let's a designer do all sorts of things, but why? To me, the beauty of the older Vanquish and current DB9 is the graceful and sexy shape of the aluminimum frame - simple and elegant but ready to pounce on you in a second. This car doesn't make me feel anything but raw power....yet.

Best,
Mike

Old 09-08-2012, 07:12 PM
spinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to behold
I like it. More aggressive design language, yet still understated compared to Ferrari/Lambo etc. No question, it is not as elegantly simple a design as the first VH era cars. Then again, the DBS started the journey down the 'body kit' look, the V12V expanded on that, and still the press and internet scuttlebutt said: all Astons look the same/the designs are really getting tired/Aston are stuck in a rut, etc.

I liken Aston's styling evolution to the Audis of the last 15 years: they started out as beautifully simple, clean, cool designs eg. TT mkI, A6; then they felt the need to stick that gaping maw of a front grille on every car and add creases and sharp lines and LED eyebrows. Yet some of the newer designs really work for me - A5, TT mkII, R8 - and they make the older cars look seriously outdated.

Old 09-09-2012, 01:15 AM
Speedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud of
I think that, although the new Vanquish looks more modern than the current cars, it will not age as well. It is so much more trendy with all that fussy/busy surface stuff. Over time, I think the V8V and the DB9 will be timeless in a way that the new Vanquish won't be.

Old 09-09-2012, 07:58 AM
spinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to behold
True. Cleaner, simpler designs age better. What looks better today: E39 5 series or "Bangled" E60? Original CLS or new one?

Old 09-09-2012, 09:18 AM
black penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant future
I like it

I think the design will age very well in part because it's already "aged". Only in the ultra conservative world of Aston would this design feel too aggressive etc.

The materials are new aged, but it's still has very classic proportions. For me it's a great bridge between new and old.

Who wants all Astons to be the same. I personally think they need to pull the cars apart a little more. THIS car SHOULD be the most aggressive, most over the top version of the Aston ideal. I think the car likely did not go far enough. It should have been even more like the One-77.

Let the Virage based DB9 be the more elegant GT.

I'm hoping the next Vantage moves the story on a bit more.

I'm really hoping I can buy a FULLY street legal version that is as bonkers as the Zagato!!!

Old 09-09-2012, 09:58 AM
ice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond repute
I like most of the new design. My one issue is the front facia. It looks like a mouth with an overbite. It's gonna take time to replace my affection for the DBS front.

Old 09-09-2012, 12:39 PM
Speedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by black penguin
I think the design will age very well in part because it's already "aged". Only in the ultra conservative world of Aston would this design feel too aggressive etc.

The materials are new aged, but it's still has very classic proportions. For me it's a great bridge between new and old.

Who wants all Astons to be the same. I personally think they need to pull the cars apart a little more. THIS car SHOULD be the most aggressive, most over the top version of the Aston ideal. I think the car likely did not go far enough. It should have been even more like the One-77.

Let the Virage based DB9 be the more elegant GT.

I'm hoping the next Vantage moves the story on a bit more.

I'm really hoping I can buy a FULLY street legal version that is as bonkers as the Zagato!!!
I think much of that makes sense. However, I also think that Astons are about understatedness and class, not about being outrageous (at least for their "mainstream" models) -- that's for Lambos and such things.

One of the things I find somewhat frustrating about the new Vanquish (without having seen it yet, of course) is that the proportions seem to be excellent, so it doesn't need all that surface fussiness to be eye-catching -- the underlying design looks very good.

I like the new Zagato and I like that Aston does things like it. But, IMO, the standard V12V Vantage is better-looking.

To be clear, I don't want all Astons to be the same. However, I don't think they need to be different only for the sake of being different. The current cars obviously look similar to each other, but they don't look the same, certainly no more than many other car ranges do, Audi and BMW for example. More importantly, the current Astons all look gorgeous, which to me is more important than looking different.

Many who have seen the new Vanquish say that pics don't do it justice, so I'm really looking forward to seeing it in the flesh.

Old 09-09-2012, 06:59 PM
RossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond repute
Great video!

Old 09-10-2012, 10:08 AM
yvr
yvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud of
I got to see the Vanquish first hand last weekend at a show here in Vancouver. It was the same blue one that was in Monterey a couple of weeks ago.

I didn't like the color, and it made some of the exposed carbon fibre look like a bit of an afterthought. But the shape of the car is really very good; immediately identifiable as an Aston. I think it's going to be very color-dependent. Looking forward to seeing one on the road in a "calmer" color to get a better sense of it.

Old 09-10-2012, 06:20 PM
black penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant future
It's obvious they are looking to expand the Aston aesthetic and fan base with this car. Showcasing colors like that blue is not what most people expect from an Aston and that's likely the point they are looking to make.

That interior is Over The Top in a really good way.

BTW, my 2.5 year old aon watched the video and shouted "Daddies car"!! So I guess it still looks like an Aston.

Last edited by black penguin; 09-10-2012 at 06:34 PM.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:08 AM
acabrera will become famous soon enough
The overall look is starting to grow on me but it does feel a bit like it's trying too hard. I think it will really help to see it in person, though. One thing that I did think was interesting was reading about the haptic response of the center dash/console which means you will feel a physical response when touching certain areas. Has anyone heard any more about the infotainment system/center dash?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Latest Vanquish II video