Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Jaguar F-Type Has Officially Arrived Aston Martin Owners Get In Here Quick

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 09:42 PM
Speedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud of
I like the F-Type, but I don't love it, at least not yet. I'll wait to see it in the flesh, but I agree with the comments that it looks a bit too short, and maybe a little too tall. In a few of the pictures it looks really great, but in most it looks "merely" very good. I like the tail lights that recall the Series 1 E-Type. I don't like the heavy-looking bar that bisects the grille. Perhaps the Coupe will look better. IMO, like many modern convertible versions of coupes, the A-posts are too big, too tall, and they start to curve at the top towards a roof that doesn't exist, so they look abruptly cut off (Aston handles this much better than most). In any event, IMO it doesn't look anywhere near as good as the V8V, inside or out.

I don't think it will be a big threat to the V8V for many of the same reasons that people buy the Aston over a 911 -- or an XKR. Certainly, the V8 F-Type will be faster, but as ever, it's about more than just what's fastest. The V8V is special in a way that the F-Type isn't, and I don't mean to insult the Jag when I say that. I would be very interested in an F-Type if it becomes available with a manual gearbox (without which it's not even a consideration for me), but not over a V8V. The quality of materials, the level of craftsmanship, the attention to detail, the much lower production, etc., make the Aston more of a special thing than the F-Type will be. I think it will do very well, and first impressions make me think it deserves to. But I don't see it as a direct alternative to an Aston Martin. I certainly have no desire to replace my V8V with one, although I'd love to have one alongside -- if it's offered with a manual 'box.

To me, one of the things that appeals about the V8V is that it has virtually all of the special things and the details that make the DB9, Virage and DBS so desirable -- the attention to detail, materials and craftsmanship that look right at home in a $200k - 300K car are right there on the less-expensive V8V. Absolutely nothing can match the V8V in this respect at its price. Combined with a great V8 and a genuinely great drive, IMO the V8V actually offers excellent value for money.

Old 09-30-2012, 06:02 AM
Vergis has a spectacular aura aboutVergis has a spectacular aura aboutVergis has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Speedraser
I like the F-Type, but I don't love it, at least not yet. I'll wait to see it in the flesh, but I agree with the comments that it looks a bit too short, and maybe a little too tall. In a few of the pictures it looks really great, but in most it looks "merely" very good. I like the tail lights that recall the Series 1 E-Type. I don't like the heavy-looking bar that bisects the grille. Perhaps the Coupe will look better. IMO, like many modern convertible versions of coupes, the A-posts are too big, too tall, and they start to curve at the top towards a roof that doesn't exist, so they look abruptly cut off (Aston handles this much better than most). In any event, IMO it doesn't look anywhere near as good as the V8V, inside or out.

I don't think it will be a big threat to the V8V for many of the same reasons that people buy the Aston over a 911 -- or an XKR. Certainly, the V8 F-Type will be faster, but as ever, it's about more than just what's fastest. The V8V is special in a way that the F-Type isn't, and I don't mean to insult the Jag when I say that. I would be very interested in an F-Type if it becomes available with a manual gearbox (without which it's not even a consideration for me), but not over a V8V. The quality of materials, the level of craftsmanship, the attention to detail, the much lower production, etc., make the Aston more of a special thing than the F-Type will be. I think it will do very well, and first impressions make me think it deserves to. But I don't see it as a direct alternative to an Aston Martin. I certainly have no desire to replace my V8V with one, although I'd love to have one alongside -- if it's offered with a manual 'box.

To me, one of the things that appeals about the V8V is that it has virtually all of the special things and the details that make the DB9, Virage and DBS so desirable -- the attention to detail, materials and craftsmanship that look right at home in a $200k - 300K car are right there on the less-expensive V8V. Absolutely nothing can match the V8V in this respect at its price. Combined with a great V8 and a genuinely great drive, IMO the V8V actually offers excellent value for money.
Agreed x2

Old 10-08-2012, 08:37 PM
bossofboss is on a distinguished road
Cant wait for this

Old 01-02-2013, 05:13 PM
Banned
Rotes is a splendid one to beholdRotes is a splendid one to beholdRotes is a splendid one to beholdRotes is a splendid one to beholdRotes is a splendid one to beholdRotes is a splendid one to beholdRotes is a splendid one to behold
an old thread:

this is one of the reasons I am not driving a car from the current Jaguar line of cars