Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

In the Market for an AM Vantage V8 or S - Some questions?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 12:41 PM
wem
wem is a jewel in the roughwem is a jewel in the roughwem is a jewel in the rough
+2 also from a new V8VS owner coming from a 2010 V8V Roadster SS I. With the SS I there was juddering which was noticeable if I tried to nail the accelerator at a light. I'm probably spoiled with the PDK with launch control on my Panamera TT. With the SS II the car launches smoothly no matter how aggressively I accelerate from a standstill. If a V8VS is in your budget, I highly recommend it.

(p.s. Breezman, nice to see a fellow V-Rod owner)

Old 01-01-2013, 01:07 PM
black penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant future
I like the V12

I was an early adopter of dual clutch paddle shifts. I bought them the first year they came out and have owned many since. All Audi units.

It's fun and easy to drive, but I never just put them in drive. So my next five cars were all manual transmission cars.

I have owned a 2009 AMV V8 and I currently own a 2011 AMV V12. Both cars were a joy to own the 6 speed is fantastic. I experienced no rattles etc.

Just great cars.

I MUCH prefer the V12. It is more "work" to drive, but that's the fun. The car is more of an occasion. I don't find it crashy at all, in fact I love how awake the suspension and inputs are. My R8 is much less fun, BECAUSE Audi wanted to civilize it. I have to undo that civilization.

My vote is V12. And I have not had any real issues beyond a transmission warranty claim.

Either way you are going to enjoy.

Old 01-01-2013, 01:12 PM
Breezman will become famous soon enoughBreezman will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by wem
+2 also from a new V8VS owner coming from a 2010 V8V Roadster SS I. With the SS I there was juddering which was noticeable if I tried to nail the accelerator at a light. I'm probably spoiled with the PDK with launch control on my Panamera TT. With the SS II the car launches smoothly no matter how aggressively I accelerate from a standstill. If a V8VS is in your budget, I highly recommend it.

(p.s. Breezman, nice to see a fellow V-Rod owner)
V-rod, mine is a NRS! now we understand what kind of cars we like-LOL

My budget is around the low 90s so the Q is

A 2012 v8v with ss2 ?

09-10 v8vs S with ss2 ?

Just get the 6 manual?

What i am hearing is DONT GET THE SS1 !!! ??

Old 01-01-2013, 01:30 PM
wem
wem is a jewel in the roughwem is a jewel in the roughwem is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Breezman
V-rod, mine is a NRS! now we understand what kind of cars we like-LOL

My budget is around the low 90s so the Q is

A 2012 v8v with ss2 ?

09-10 v8vs S with ss2 ?

Just get the 6 manual?

What i am hearing is DONT GET THE SS1 !!! ??
You really need to test drive all three transmissions to figure out which one fits your driving style. Knowing that you have a V-rod and have 911s, I suspect that you will narrow it down to the SS II and 6 spd. I believe that the V8VS started in the 2011 MY so it might be a little bit higher than your budget. No matter where you land, you will have a blast in your Aston Martin.

Old 01-01-2013, 01:48 PM
Originally Posted by wem
You really need to test drive all three transmissions to figure out which one fits your driving style. Knowing that you have a V-rod and have 911s, I suspect that you will narrow it down to the SS II and 6 spd. I believe that the V8VS started in the 2011 MY so it might be a little bit higher than your budget. No matter where you land, you will have a blast in your Aston Martin.
Thank you. i am going into dealership tomorrow to do exactly that, just wanted to narrow it down before hand so i don't have to drive every car on the lot..

Also driving for 20 minutes is different then a few months so any input is great.
And yes i am leaning towards ss2 or manual ( you nailed it ) because most drivers seem to be very unhappy and/or having reliability issues with the ss1.

So... 12 v8v or 11 v8vs? what is the difference if both have ss2?

Looking at this one : please chime in

http://collectionautogroup.com/2012-...OH/vd/12662632

Old 01-01-2013, 02:13 PM
wem
Thank you. i am going into dealership tomorrow to do exactly that, just wanted to narrow it down before hand so i don't have to drive every car on the lot..

Also driving for 20 minutes is different then a few months so any input is great.
And yes i am leaning towards ss2 or manual ( you nailed it ) because most drivers seem to be very unhappy and/or having reliability issues with the ss1.

You should find out if the car in the link is an early or late 2012. The description says 6 spd. The picture shows that it has a SportShift. The SS II is a 7 speed transmission. The SS I is a 6 speed transmission. As far as reliability, I don't think the problem with the SS I is with reliability. Mine was fine from a reliability standpoint. My experience b/t the SS I and the SS II is the ability to engage the SS II more aggressively. On paper, the V8VS does not seem like much of a difference. However, when you drive it, there is enough of a difference to know that you are in a S versus the non S (the word base doesn't seem appropriate for an Aston Martin). It all starts with the sport exhaust on the S when you start the engine. The rumble of the exhaust is intoxicating. The level of detail on the exterior (the carbon fiber, the bigger tail), and the interior (different stitching, etc.) all add up. That being said I still think the non S model is still an awesome car. I believe that many of the features of the S can now be ordered on a non S model (except for the engine), but at a higher cost than buying the S. Like you, I started off my first search for a 2009+ Vantage. I wound up buying a new 2010 V8V Roadster that was still in dealer inventory in 2011. Although the purchase price was higher than what I was looking at for a used one, the dealer took so much off the sticker that it made sense to get one with a full new car warranty. I recently traded it in after only 4700 miles after I made the mistake of stopping at the dealership just to "look" at the remaining 2012s. Once again I got a great deal on a new 2012 since the dealer already had 2013s in stock. For me the value of having a factory warranty is an important part of the decision/price evaluation.

Old 01-01-2013, 02:14 PM
RossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond repute

That's almost identical to my car but my car is an S. The big difference between the S and V8V is 10 more HP, bigger brakes, a sport button for much better throttle response, fancier interior stitching, and lots of carbon fiber all over. The Tungsten silver is my favorite color. It's amazing in person and pictures do not do it justice at all since lighting has an effect on the paint.

Old 01-01-2013, 02:34 PM
62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !

That's a good looking car.

Old 01-01-2013, 02:47 PM
RossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond repute

I was able to find the original pics taken of my car that you can use as a reference to this listing: http://www.ecarlink.com/web/vehicle_photos/3552109/

Old 01-01-2013, 03:10 PM
Originally Posted by wem
You should find out if the car in the link is an early or late 2012. The description says 6 spd. The picture shows that it has a SportShift. The SS II is a 7 speed transmission. The SS I is a 6 speed transmission. As far as reliability, I don't think the problem with the SS I is with reliability. Mine was fine from a reliability standpoint. My experience b/t the SS I and the SS II is the ability to engage the SS II more aggressively. On paper, the V8VS does not seem like much of a difference. However, when you drive it, there is enough of a difference to know that you are in a S versus the non S (the word base doesn't seem appropriate for an Aston Martin). It all starts with the sport exhaust on the S when you start the engine. The rumble of the exhaust is intoxicating. The level of detail on the exterior (the carbon fiber, the bigger tail), and the interior (different stitching, etc.) all add up. That being said I still think the non S model is still an awesome car. I believe that many of the features of the S can now be ordered on a non S model (except for the engine), but at a higher cost than buying the S. Like you, I started off my first search for a 2009+ Vantage. I wound up buying a new 2010 V8V Roadster that was still in dealer inventory in 2011. Although the purchase price was higher than what I was looking at for a used one, the dealer took so much off the sticker that it made sense to get one with a full new car warranty. I recently traded it in after only 4700 miles after I made the mistake of stopping at the dealership just to "look" at the remaining 2012s. Once again I got a great deal on a new 2012 since the dealer already had 2013s in stock. For me the value of having a factory warranty is an important part of the decision/price evaluation.

Good catch i missed that part since i assumed all 12ym are ss2.

Old 01-01-2013, 03:12 PM
I guess considering all this info and unless someone can tell me to not worry about the ss1 it leaves me with (considering my budget)... drum roll.... a 2010 manual as the only option?!

Old 01-01-2013, 04:10 PM
katyrow is on a distinguished road
My '07 has the SS I gearbox. I prefer it over the standard manual. The shudder described by others is caused by forgetting to reset the clutch. For some reason, it's called a reset "procedure," but consists only of waiting 6 to 8 seconds to engage the transmission after a cold start. SS II has a visual indicator that tells you when the clutch is reset. With SS I, you just listen for a click under the car or just count to 8. Also, I don't want to complicate your decision any further, but one of the most enjoyable aspects of these cars is the sound, which is hard to fully appreciate even with the windows down. For that reason, you should really consider a roadster. The exhaust note with the top down is one of the most satisfying aspects of driving the car. It might actually be the most satisfying aspect. You lose it with a coupe.

Old 01-01-2013, 04:22 PM
Originally Posted by katyrow
My '07 has the SS I gearbox. I prefer it over the standard manual. The shudder described by others is caused by forgetting to reset the clutch. For some reason, it's called a reset "procedure," but consists only of waiting 6 to 8 seconds to engage the transmission after a cold start. SS II has a visual indicator that tells you when the clutch is reset. With SS I, you just listen for a click under the car or just count to 8. Also, I don't want to complicate your decision any further, but one of the most enjoyable aspects of these cars is the sound, which is hard to fully appreciate even with the windows down. For that reason, you should really consider a roadster. The exhaust note with the top down is one of the most satisfying aspects of driving the car. It might actually be the most satisfying aspect. You lose it with a coupe.
I am happy to hear. can u share more about how it behaves in traffic and normal DD? the whole reset protocol sounded complicated but from what you say it is brainless.

As for the roadster. i love topless as i now have and only loved topless but somehow it seem to ME that its just not as beautiful any more with a soft top.

Old 01-01-2013, 04:38 PM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
ASM1 "clutch learn" as the factory calls it consists of starting the car with ALL electrics off especially air con leave the car to idle for 10-15 seconds you can usually here a click from the clutch area once it is done. "Creep" mode in first and reverse is awkward
ASM1 & 6MT have a reverse gear similar to 2nd (too high) this leads to slippage
ASM2 automates the clutch learn and has a lower first gear the S shares the sport button with the V12
As I said you can spec a MY12.25 with the S exhaust, sport pack CF splitters but it works out cheaper to just buy an S

Old 01-01-2013, 04:42 PM
Aston502 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by katyrow
My '07 has the SS I gearbox. I prefer it over the standard manual. The shudder described by others is caused by forgetting to reset the clutch. For some reason, it's called a reset "procedure," but consists only of waiting 6 to 8 seconds to engage the transmission after a cold start. SS II has a visual indicator that tells you when the clutch is reset. With SS I, you just listen for a click under the car or just count to 8. Also, I don't want to complicate your decision any further, but one of the most enjoyable aspects of these cars is the sound, which is hard to fully appreciate even with the windows down. For that reason, you should really consider a roadster. The exhaust note with the top down is one of the most satisfying aspects of driving the car. It might actually be the most satisfying aspect. You lose, it with a coupe.
X10, put the top down and remove fuse 22, heavenly

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: In the Market for an AM Vantage V8 or S - Some questions?