Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

In the Market for an AM Vantage V8 or S - Some questions?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 05:13 PM
rohnin is on a distinguished road
is there such thing as a short shifter for the V8 Vantage?

Old 06-21-2016, 05:17 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 007 Vantage
Wrote a long thread recently explaining all of the difference, but I will explain based on the astons I have owned and/or driven.

06-08 4.3L: stock power is way too low, no torque, very sluggish throttle response. HOWEVER, the 4.3L is highly tunable, sounds the most aggressive of the V8s, has a crazy top end, and can be revved up to 7600rpm if not higher easily. You will never make torque out of the engine period below 3500rpm. The 6spd can be notchy fyi. The interior is starting to look a bit dated, but for the money it's a fantastic great "1st Aston" option.

V12: fantastic car, turbine like super smooth torque power band. It does feel heavier and nose heavy as it is a true front engine and not a mid engine. The 6speed is MUCH better than the V8s, much more precise. The Cabon Black V12 is way nicer than the standard V12 interior which is basically unchanged from the updated 4.7L v8 interior. The downside is the V12s lose the watch face gauges for than the V8s have. The top end power is lacking, and the low end torque is excessive. It's alot of fun and does sound much better in person, but still does not sound as good as the V8s. For the money it may not be the best deal, but of you have to own a v12 it's a great choice.

4.7 SS1 09+ : SS1 is very similar to SMG from BMW but it is smoother option. Shift lags are way too long and it slips in reverse. The transmission is a dinosaur, but for some it's not a deal breaker. The biggest change from the 4.3L is a mountain of torque by comparison. It's not quite as good as the V12 in torque, but the top end feels much better. It's the best of both worlds goldilocks approach. Still tunable, but max rpm ceiling will be lower due to the excessively long stroke.

Vantage S: by far the nicest interior in any Aston ... period. Has the V12 looks minus the hood vents (good thing IMO). The SS2 is 7eed sequential with better spaced gearing. Comes with sport button as well unique to the S. has louder exhaust, more HP and etc. it also has the V8 watch face gauges (a must for me). It also has a quicker steering rack unique to the S along with suspension changes and etc. A vantage S is roughly $40k less than the V12 on the used market, and is worth much more than the sum of its parts. It's also a true sports car that can see occasional track use with ease. It is the perfect all around best of both worlds. Bigger 2piece Brembo brake system up front, lighter wider wheels with better offsets, etc. To upgrade / modify a standard 4.7 to S spec would be cost prohibitive and would actually cost way more. A vantage S is on avg roughly $20-25k more than the cheapest 4.7L out there but is a good $40k less than the V12, do when you look at it from that angle it is clearly the best bargain of all the vantage options.
Best write up I've seen, thank you! The V8VS with SSII was my choice, and I am very glad I went with it. There seem to be very few of them, too. Does anyone know the production numbers by model?
CATTMAN