Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

In the Market for an AM Vantage V8 or S - Some questions?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 07:08 PM
Fubar has a spectacular aura aboutFubar has a spectacular aura about
Lots of good info in this thread. My research led me to making the new transmission a must. I heard some ruff reviews of the "creep" mode in the old transmission. The dealer here in Dallas cut me a good del on a beautiful 2012, so I walked away happy. The dealership gave me a 2010 as a loaner one day; the difference was much bigger than I expected. If you are going to drive the car in traffic, I would highly recommend you experience the difference in the two transmissions.

Cheers

Last edited by Fubar; 01-01-2013 at 07:40 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:00 AM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Aston502
X10, put the top down and remove fuse 22, heavenly
Totally agree
Coupe may look better
But the experience in the roadster is better IMO
Just one of the reasons I bought a speced up S roadster

Old 01-02-2013, 06:21 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by black penguin
It is more "work" to drive, but that's the fun.
Not sure I understand why folks are saying the V12V is a lot of work to drive. Is this because it's a manual? If so, that ain't hard work. As for the personality of the car, the V12V can be a handful to drive, if you want it to be. If you just want to put put around town it's happy to do that as well.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:15 PM
RossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Racer_X
Not sure I understand why folks are saying the V12V is a lot of work to drive. Is this because it's a manual? If so, that ain't hard work. As for the personality of the car, the V12V can be a handful to drive, if you want it to be. If you just want to put put around town it's happy to do that as well.
I personally think for around the town driving the V12V has the best suspension combination of firm yet comfortable.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:17 PM
yvr
yvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Breezman
Thank you. i am going into dealership tomorrow to do exactly that, just wanted to narrow it down before hand so i don't have to drive every car on the lot..
Well Breezman, what's the verdict? Did you test drive today? What's your impression?

Old 01-03-2013, 01:21 AM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
why did u make that choice? if u don't mind elaborating.
Wrote a long thread recently explaining all of the difference, but I will explain based on the astons I have owned and/or driven.

06-08 4.3L: stock power is way too low, no torque, very sluggish throttle response. HOWEVER, the 4.3L is highly tunable, sounds the most aggressive of the V8s, has a crazy top end, and can be revved up to 7600rpm if not higher easily. You will never make torque out of the engine period below 3500rpm. The 6spd can be notchy fyi. The interior is starting to look a bit dated, but for the money it's a fantastic great "1st Aston" option.

V12: fantastic car, turbine like super smooth torque power band. It does feel heavier and nose heavy as it is a true front engine and not a mid engine. The 6speed is MUCH better than the V8s, much more precise. The Cabon Black V12 is way nicer than the standard V12 interior which is basically unchanged from the updated 4.7L v8 interior. The downside is the V12s lose the watch face gauges for than the V8s have. The top end power is lacking, and the low end torque is excessive. It's alot of fun and does sound much better in person, but still does not sound as good as the V8s. For the money it may not be the best deal, but of you have to own a v12 it's a great choice.

4.7 SS1 09+ : SS1 is very similar to SMG from BMW but it is smoother option. Shift lags are way too long and it slips in reverse. The transmission is a dinosaur, but for some it's not a deal breaker. The biggest change from the 4.3L is a mountain of torque by comparison. It's not quite as good as the V12 in torque, but the top end feels much better. It's the best of both worlds goldilocks approach. Still tunable, but max rpm ceiling will be lower due to the excessively long stroke.

Vantage S: by far the nicest interior in any Aston ... period. Has the V12 looks minus the hood vents (good thing IMO). The SS2 is 7eed sequential with better spaced gearing. Comes with sport button as well unique to the S. has louder exhaust, more HP and etc. it also has the V8 watch face gauges (a must for me). It also has a quicker steering rack unique to the S along with suspension changes and etc. A vantage S is roughly $40k less than the V12 on the used market, and is worth much more than the sum of its parts. It's also a true sports car that can see occasional track use with ease. It is the perfect all around best of both worlds. Bigger 2piece Brembo brake system up front, lighter wider wheels with better offsets, etc. To upgrade / modify a standard 4.7 to S spec would be cost prohibitive and would actually cost way more. A vantage S is on avg roughly $20-25k more than the cheapest 4.7L out there but is a good $40k less than the V12, do when you look at it from that angle it is clearly the best bargain of all the vantage options.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:42 AM
plastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by 007 Vantage
Wrote a long thread recently explaining all of the difference, but I will explain based on the astons I have owned and/or driven.

06-08 4.3L: stock power is way too low, no torque, very sluggish throttle response. HOWEVER, the 4.3L is highly tunable, sounds the most aggressive of the V8s, has a crazy top end, and can be revved up to 7600rpm if not higher easily. You will never make torque out of the engine period below 3500rpm. The 6spd can be notchy fyi. The interior is starting to look a bit dated, but for the money it's a fantastic great "1st Aston" option.

V12: fantastic car, turbine like super smooth torque power band. It does feel heavier and nose heavy as it is a true front engine and not a mid engine. The 6speed is MUCH better than the V8s, much more precise. The Cabon Black V12 is way nicer than the standard V12 interior which is basically unchanged from the updated 4.7L v8 interior. The downside is the V12s lose the watch face gauges for than the V8s have. The top end power is lacking, and the low end torque is excessive. It's alot of fun and does sound much better in person, but still does not sound as good as the V8s. For the money it may not be the best deal, but of you have to own a v12 it's a great choice.

4.7 SS1 09+ : SS1 is very similar to SMG from BMW but it is smoother option. Shift lags are way too long and it slips in reverse. The transmission is a dinosaur, but for some it's not a deal breaker. The biggest change from the 4.3L is a mountain of torque by comparison. It's not quite as good as the V12 in torque, but the top end feels much better. It's the best of both worlds goldilocks approach. Still tunable, but max rpm ceiling will be lower due to the excessively long stroke.

Vantage S: by far the nicest interior in any Aston ... period. Has the V12 looks minus the hood vents (good thing IMO). The SS2 is 7eed sequential with better spaced gearing. Comes with sport button as well unique to the S. has louder exhaust, more HP and etc. it also has the V8 watch face gauges (a must for me). It also has a quicker steering rack unique to the S along with suspension changes and etc. A vantage S is roughly $40k less than the V12 on the used market, and is worth much more than the sum of its parts. It's also a true sports car that can see occasional track use with ease. It is the perfect all around best of both worlds. Bigger 2piece Brembo brake system up front, lighter wider wheels with better offsets, etc. To upgrade / modify a standard 4.7 to S spec would be cost prohibitive and would actually cost way more. A vantage S is on avg roughly $20-25k more than the cheapest 4.7L out there but is a good $40k less than the V12, do when you look at it from that angle it is clearly the best bargain of all the vantage options.
Nice write up

Old 01-03-2013, 05:26 AM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
Snip

Good overview
The Sport button in the S is also in the V12 and does the same thing.
Most the S changes are now either standard or options on the My13 base cars
I'm just trying to convince myself out of my S and into a V12 roadster but struggling to justify the "man maths".

Old 01-03-2013, 07:30 AM
Breezman will become famous soon enoughBreezman will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by yvr
Well Breezman, what's the verdict? Did you test drive today? What's your impression?
Had to reschedule it. will most likely do it monday.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:40 AM
Thumbs up

Thank you so much, this helps a lot !!! how would the S be as a DD in the city?

Old 01-03-2013, 08:57 AM
RossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond repute
Thank you so much, this helps a lot !!! how would the S be as a DD in the city?
I "daily" drive mine and it's no problem at all. I've put 3k miles on it since buying it 6ish months ago.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:51 AM
Originally Posted by RossL
I "daily" drive mine and it's no problem at all. I've put 3k miles on it since buying it 6ish months ago.
Good to hear i drive about 150-200 Miles a week so that will be about 8-10k a year.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:08 AM
Good to hear i drive about 150-200 Miles a week so that will be about 8-10k a year.
If only I had the nice weather you have year round. During the winter months here I usually drive it only once per week

Old 01-03-2013, 10:49 AM
Originally Posted by RossL
If only I had the nice weather you have year round. During the winter months here I usually drive it only once per week
I know my wife is from your neck of the woods and we usually spend christmas there

Old 01-03-2013, 11:22 AM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
I agree with RossL,

It's the perfect daily driver, it has all of the features you want and bc it is 7speed SS2, it's perfect for traffic around town. It really is the best balanced of all the vantages. After 6 years Ason really has made the perfect Vantage IMO ... (ok well maybe a little more power wouldn't hurt).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: In the Market for an AM Vantage V8 or S - Some questions?