Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Has anyone installed H&R Springs themselves? DIY instructions?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 04:04 PM
dbp
dbp is on a distinguished road
Has anyone installed H&R Springs themselves? DIY instructions?

The deal is nearly consummated on my 2007 Aston Martin Vantage, and it's about to make a cross country trip from New York to Portland, OR. While on the truck, I want to acquire some H&R Springs and spacers. I've read the very useful write-up from boosting1bar on here about how the spacer install goes, but I haven't seen anyone tackle the springs themselves. Lots of people have them, and I think it lowers the car (aesthetically) perfectly (Some other kits seem to go lower than I want). Does anyone have a write-up on how to do the springs? Is it sufficiently detailed in the Workshop manual (which is on ebay, and will likely purchase soon)? How long of an install is it?

I own a couple of BMW M Coupes and I've done a full H&R Coilover kit on one of them and just H&R springs with stock struts/shocks on the other, so generally feel totally comfortable doing this kind of work. I also think it'll help me get acquainted with my new Aston. Any gotchas on it? If no one's done it perhaps I'll be the one writing the DIY as I stumble through it. Thanks,

David

Old 10-22-2012, 10:04 AM
AMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to all
I have have not install any H&R's on a V8, but I have on a DB9. Pretty much the same thing. The biggest issue I had was fitting the spring. The springs are a little shorter than you would expect, so a normal spring tool may not work. I had to get a spring tool for shorter style springs. Other than that, the workshop manual should be able to walk you through how to remove the shocks/springs. let us know if you have any questions.

Old 10-22-2012, 05:25 PM
LRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond repute
I too have made the swap, also; not on a Vantage. I did them on my DB9. I have changed springs on several different cars, most recently on a Porsche 928 GTS and an Audi S5. The AM was easier by far than the other two..... Really straight forward. As stated above, the manual is great help.

My DB9 has the sport pack and I didn't need a spring compressor at all to swap. There wasn't much tension when remvoing the stock springs and b/c the H&R springs are shorter, they didn't need to be compressed to reinstall them.

The other comment I would make is that when I did mine, I had a llift that made the job MUCH eaiser. Sold the lift b/c we're moving and the new house doesn't have as much garage space....

Good luck.

Old 10-22-2012, 06:21 PM
dbp
dbp is on a distinguished road
Thanks for your comments guys. LRDog, I saw your comments in another thread saying you thought the install on your DB9 was the easiest of the cars you've done it with. Sounds good, as I gather the Vantage is quite similar. I finally got the workshop manual and the install definitely looks quite straight forward; with the manual there is no need to do a DIY writeup as it's all defined there. The springs are set to arrive the same day as the car, so I'll probably begin tackling it right away the later part of this week. Thanks!

David

Old 10-23-2012, 02:08 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
You should be good if you've done coilover swaps on M cars...the Astons have coilovers from the factory that go thru an upper wishbone and then connect to the assembly on the lower wishbone... at least that's how it seems on my DB9 with Sports pack as well. Should be easy for you, don't imagine the Vantage would be much different if at all.