6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Aston Martin (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin-39/)
-   -   Extended Warranty Inspection Cost? (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin/292021-extended-warranty-inspection-cost.html)

FatFrank 11-14-2012 07:21 PM

Extended Warranty Inspection Cost?

My 9 will be three years at the end of December and I'm taking it in on Friday of this week for the pre-inspection that's necessary before the warranty extension can take effect. Has anyone on here had that inspection done, and if so how much did the AM dealer charge for it?

I'm hoping there's a precedent out there of someone getting it for free!

Thanks, FF

FatFrank 11-15-2012 06:30 PM

This forum is sooooooo dead sometimes!

I'm glad I also posted this on the UK PH forum as at least I got a few responses from the Brits on this!

seattle_sun 11-15-2012 06:48 PM

When I brought my AM for service, my tech didn't charge me any extra for the "inspection" for the warranty.

FatFrank 11-15-2012 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by seattle_sun (Post 3692730)
When I brought my AM for service, my tech didn't charge me any extra for the "inspection" for the warranty.

Thanks Seattle,
I'll see how I get on tomorrow. I suspect that they might ding me as I've already had the car serviced earlier in the year. How much did they charge you for the warranty if you don't mind my asking?

My dealer is saying $3900 for a one year extension if I remember correctly

FF

seattle_sun 11-15-2012 09:25 PM

It was right around there.

IMHO, a pretty big waste of money. Not as good as factory and really only covers you if your engine blows up.

Mine did not cover a trim issue or stereo issue.

drcollie 11-15-2012 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by FatFrank (Post 3692755)
Thanks Seattle,
I'll see how I get on tomorrow. I suspect that they might ding me as I've already had the car serviced earlier in the year. How much did they charge you for the warranty if you don't mind my asking?

My dealer is saying $3900 for a one year extension if I remember correctly

FF

You're going to pay them $ 3,900 for a one year extension AND are willing to pony up for some 'inspection fee' ? Really? No offense but they've done everything but hold the gun to your head on that mugging.

FatFrank 11-15-2012 10:17 PM

Hey Seattle,
Could you tell me for what year of coverage that was? My dealer tells me that for if the car is 4 or 5 years old it gets "premium' coverage which is really pretty comprehensive, but that for cars 6 and 7 years old they will only give you the 'plus coverage'. I read through the paperwork for both and the plus coverage did seem pretty lame, but I thought that the platinum coverage covered almost everything except the trim? Which warranty did your car have?

FF

sunir 11-15-2012 10:22 PM

Frank these cars are pretty bulletproof with the exception of a few small ninnies, occasional squeak or rattle (possible on a bespoke handbuilt vehicle) and maybe some trim or things like that, I dunno if the extend warranty covers that, on the DB9 just make sure the dipstick recall was done and you should be good on the big stuff, donu have automatic gearbox I've heard they can have hoses that need replaced at some point but that's about it, I've got a manual gearbox in my DB9 so I'm not certain about the guidelines on the auto gearbox.

FatFrank 11-15-2012 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by drcollie (Post 3692868)
You're going to pay them $ 3,900 for a one year extension AND are willing to pony up for some 'inspection fee' ? Really? No offense but they've done everything but hold the gun to your head on that mugging.

I know, it does seem a little like that but then I think about a $20k gearbox and it gives me piece of mind. I also thought it might help reassure any prospective buyer in the future should I decide to sell it. All that being said though, I don't think I've ever read of anyone having a catastrophic engine or gearbox situation with the 9

If it doesn't work out this year, I won't renew next year.

FF

drcollie 11-15-2012 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by FatFrank (Post 3692888)
I know, it does seem a little like that but then I think about a $20k gearbox and it gives me piece of mind. I also thought it might help reassure any prospective buyer in the future should I decide to sell it. All that being said though, I don't think I've ever read of anyone having a catastrophic engine or gearbox situation with the 9

If it doesn't work out this year, I won't renew next year.

FF

Don't let them charge you for an 'inspection'. They've had the car already in service, they should know it. Be firm on that and they'll give in. Good luck.

FatFrank 11-15-2012 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by drcollie (Post 3692889)
Don't let them charge you for an 'inspection'. They've had the car already in service, they should know it. Be firm on that and they'll give in. Good luck.

Will do,and thanks for the good luck - I might need it! I'll try and stress that before they start and see how I get on!

seattle_sun 11-16-2012 12:52 PM

3 yo or 4 yo car with "premium" coverage. It doesn't cover everything.

It's not a "real" AM warranty. Meaning that an outside agency covers it and everything needs to be submitted for claim.

Huge waste of money for me.

FatFrank 11-16-2012 06:52 PM

Job done, extended warranty inspection complete at zero cost (I think!)
Also, as the extended warranty is not as comprehensive as the factory warranty I was also sure to give my dealer a list of absolutely all the niggles with the car to be rectified before that warranty expires. They took care of it and ordered parts for anything that was necessary. Good day had by all :)

FF

dan87951 11-18-2012 03:08 PM

Man, I'm so glad I can work on my own cars! I haven't been to a mechanic in over 10 years. $3900 for a 1 year warranty extension... dayum!

Did you have Aston Martin of Troy perform the inspection?

FatFrank 11-19-2012 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by dan87951 (Post 3694861)
Man, I'm so glad I can work on my own cars! I haven't been to a mechanic in over 10 years. $3900 for a 1 year warranty extension... dayum!

Did you have Aston Martin of Troy perform the inspection?

Hi Dan,
Yep, they are only 20 mins from my house. They also put up with quite a bit of bother from me, so I give them my business. They do seem like a nice bunch and the tech, Kyle, really seems to know his stuff.

FF