Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

S62 M5/M6 Engine Trans swap into V8V?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 08:41 PM
Former Vendor
Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by dehnert
(I'd give my front teeth for a V10 M5 wagon, but BMW never imported them. UGH!!).
+10million.... I have a serious thing for wagons, especially if it was a manual tranny.... drool....

Old 12-12-2012, 08:45 PM
Former Vendor
Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Aston.Ca
Well if you modify your thinking to something along the lines of what Dinan did for the M5 w their bored out 'stroker' engine (and who wouldn't want a 630 hp naturally aspirated monster under the hood of their M5?) then you might start wondering about somehow getting a Bamford Rose modified V8V out of the UK and shipping it over here. Just a thought. And I'm not at all sure if that could be done legally ...
I'm already in discussions with several people about a 'Stage 2' RSC Supercharged package. With a relatively minor build-out on the engine we could probably delivery 750HP at the flywheel for around $40K. Beyond that, drivetrain is going to become a very limiting factor.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:46 PM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
Waste of money, honestly a properly modified v8v will be way better than an M5 motor anyways. It will also ruine the car. This is a fun exercise in wild ideas, nothing more.

Stick to the 4.7L V8 and just go to town on it, that will be MORE than enough. If you want an M5, buy an M5

Old 12-13-2012, 06:12 AM
MichaelD will become famous soon enough
Ok, so how about a variant on the OP's idea.

Would it be easier to fit an AM-like body to an M5?

I know its not an original idea, Ford just did it with one of their mainstream cars , but the mechanics would then be straightforward, it would just need some work with metal cutters, welders, and bodyfiller.

Put some AM badges over the BMW ones inside the car, some double-sided stickytape would work there, and its done, an M5-engined Aston Martin

Old 12-13-2012, 07:45 AM
fbiguy is on a distinguished road
Dehnert --- I happen to have a 535xi Touring and it did occur to me to tear both it and the M5 down and swap everything during the brief time I had them both.

Sunir --- I don't think Mr Norwood was taking out good engines, but rather using good shells that had blown motors. Mostly the older 308/328/Testarossa bodies if memory serves. Car and Driver did some write-ups that you might be able to find back when they still sponsored the high speed shootouts.

And Msizzle is correct about the code and the tranny. No dual clutch in the V10 cars. In fact the transmissions in both the V8V and M5/SMG cars were very similar in feel to me. Both cars suffer around town in low speed stop-and-go, but the V10's lack of low end torque made it more noticeable.

Which brings me back on topic....since the gen 6 Vettes used a transaxle, that drivetrain might be a better option if someone were serious about a swap. Plus, it wouldn't change the character of the car quite so much. That would put you more in the category of a Carroll Shelby than a Bob Norwood.

Last edited by fbiguy; 12-13-2012 at 08:11 AM.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:43 PM
maroli will become famous soon enoughmaroli will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by 007 Vantage
Waste of money, honestly a properly modified v8v will be way better than an M5 motor anyways. It will also ruine the car. This is a fun exercise in wild ideas, nothing more.

Stick to the 4.7L V8 and just go to town on it, that will be MORE than enough. If you want an M5, buy an M5
respectfully, no vantage motor will ever be as good as the m5 motor, and that includes the one in the v12 vantage. the m5 motor is incredible. it was cast in the same foundry as the f1 engines. 10 throttle butterflys, electronically actuated, forged and oil cooled Mahle pistons, forged crank, ionic knock sensing, etc. It runs an incredibly high compression ratio, has a specific output of over 100 bhp per litre, and revs past 8200 rpm. It is a supercar motor.

Old 12-13-2012, 10:44 PM
maroli will become famous soon enoughmaroli will become famous soon enough
that doesn't mean it belongs in a Vantage. that would be financial suicide. the problem with the s85 is the fact that it came with a subpar tranny for daily driving and the manual that was offered was out of the old m5, so it's a weak point.

Old 12-16-2012, 04:32 PM
RichKnox is on a distinguished road
It's not a DCT, it's SMG - huge difference.