Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Aston to go AMG?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 06:23 AM
Banned
Rotes is a splendid one to beholdRotes is a splendid one to beholdRotes is a splendid one to beholdRotes is a splendid one to beholdRotes is a splendid one to beholdRotes is a splendid one to beholdRotes is a splendid one to behold
Cool Aston to go AMG?

http://mbworld.org/articles/rumormil...-aston-martin/

an article about AMG putting their engines in Aston Martin's........

was wondering what the Aston community thinks of this???
I own an AMG that I have been considering trading in towards an AM....
just don't know if I could live with less TQ and HP....

thanx drivers!

Old 12-22-2012, 07:36 AM
FatFrank has a spectacular aura aboutFatFrank has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Rotes
http://mbworld.org/articles/rumormil...-aston-martin/

an article about AMG putting their engines in Aston Martin's........

was wondering what the Aston community thinks of this???
I own an AMG that I have been considering trading in towards an AM....
just don't know if I could live with less TQ and HP....

thanx drivers!
Can't wait! Let's go!

Old 12-22-2012, 11:27 AM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
Recently, the president of ASton Martin had an interview a couple weeks ago and he actually revealed alot of interesting information.

He specifically stated that the current V12 has an absolute power limit of 730hp NA, and he also stated that the current v8 and v12 engines are going to be able to meet the newest level of emissions requirements in the coming years. As a result he said they will NOT be needing to change engines and will keep refining the same engine line up for the coming years. This should definitely help them reduce their costs greatly and acheive higher profitability.

Old 12-22-2012, 01:35 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
^^^ thats good news! Nothing depreciates more then those 3 little letters AMG! My sl55 was 150 grand new and now sells for 40 or so grand!! I'm loosing my *** on the resale, especially having spent 25 grand on tasteful power upgrades, i.e renntech, floored fab ... etc...etc....

Old 12-22-2012, 04:00 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sunir
^^^ thats good news! Nothing depreciates more then those 3 little letters AMG! My sl55 was 150 grand new and now sells for 40 or so grand!! I'm loosing my *** on the resale, especially having spent 25 grand on tasteful power upgrades, i.e renntech, floored fab ... etc...etc....

Resale on am isn't much better lol...

Old 12-22-2012, 05:04 PM
Banned
Rotes is a splendid one to beholdRotes is a splendid one to beholdRotes is a splendid one to beholdRotes is a splendid one to beholdRotes is a splendid one to beholdRotes is a splendid one to beholdRotes is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by djantlive
Resale on am isn't much better lol...
nice sig

Old 12-22-2012, 05:20 PM
FatFrank has a spectacular aura aboutFatFrank has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by 007 Vantage
Recently, the president of ASton Martin had an interview a couple weeks ago and he actually revealed alot of interesting information.

He specifically stated that the current V12 has an absolute power limit of 730hp NA, and he also stated that the current v8 and v12 engines are going to be able to meet the newest level of emissions requirements in the coming years. As a result he said they will NOT be needing to change engines and will keep refining the same engine line up for the coming years. This should definitely help them reduce their costs greatly and acheive higher profitability.
Well, if that's the case Mr. Bez let's have some of that 700+ BHP secret sauce into the DB9 as soon as possible. My 9 is great looker, but with the current set up I can't keep up with my wife driving the GT 500!

Old 12-22-2012, 06:41 PM
Fubar has a spectacular aura aboutFubar has a spectacular aura about
The V8 (not sure about the V12) is already a German product. My window sticker stated the motor was German and the transmission was Italian.

Old 12-22-2012, 07:25 PM
DetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Fubar
The V8 (not sure about the V12) is already a German product. My window sticker stated the motor was German and the transmission was Italian.
The engine is built/tested in Cologne Germany.

The engine is loosely based on the Jag AJV8 engine but heads, rods, pistons etc were all designed by AM (Ford).

You are correct that the transmission is Italian

Old 12-22-2012, 07:35 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
I think the mighty v12 is a cosworth/Brit powerplant. I don't know where the tt2 is sourced but the manual gearbox in DB9/DBS is an Italian graziano box.

Last edited by sunir; 12-22-2012 at 07:42 PM.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:08 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by FatFrank
Well, if that's the case Mr. Bez let's have some of that 700+ BHP secret sauce into the DB9 as soon as possible. My 9 is great looker, but with the current set up I can't keep up with my wife driving the GT 500!
yes! exactly!
why are these Astons not packing power down to the ground with these engines? that made me LOL about your wifes GT 500
and YES, your 9 is a great lookerbeen yearning for an AM

Old 12-22-2012, 08:57 PM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
I always said Aston was sandbagging and holding down the power taps so they could keep adding more power bit by bit ever 2 years roughly, they seem to be using that strategy and its working. I bet the next version of the vantage S will have 440-450 and so on ... This way they can keep using the same motors for another decade if they have to given their very uncertain future ownership and engineering partnership shortfalls.

I say they just keep them and improve on the v8 and v12, their character is very unique. Now that Mr. Bez himself said they do not need to change engines in the near future we can finally put all this motor speculation to rest. Aston would not have just added variable valve timing to the V12 I'd they we're about to end its production run. That is clearly a long term investment to make the V12s more efficient and minimize emissions.

Looks like astons age old technique of minor updates/tweaks/refreshes will continue ... Thank God!

Last edited by 007 Vantage; 12-22-2012 at 09:00 PM.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:00 PM
yvr
yvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by sunir
I think the mighty v12 is a cosworth/Brit powerplant. I don't know where the tt2 is sourced but the manual gearbox in DB9/DBS is an Italian graziano box.
I'm pretty sure all the engines (V8 & V12) are built in the Cologne engine plant.

The TT2 is a ZF box (ZF 6HP26 I think), and might be the only rear mounted transaxle variant of that.

Old 12-23-2012, 06:24 AM
AMR Power is on a distinguished road
It would be great to see AM offering engine and ECU upgrades to older models as a 'refresher' (like Nissan does with their GTRs). This not only increases profitability but offers dealer-installed upgrades to keep up the resale value of older Astons and in turn, the brand itself.

Old 12-23-2012, 06:50 AM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
Originally Posted by FatFrank
Bamford Rose (ex AM R&D guys) already have the V12 to 650 BHP and the V8 to 550 BHP
AM have bench test changes to the V8 at 470 BHP
Problem is AM will drag of the life of these engines for as long as the cash cow will last
That is why the Vantage S only gained 10 BHP from adding the N400 air boxes to the 4.7 engine even though they have a proven inlet manifold upgrade got dropped.

Both engines are derived from British origins but are built at a leased facility in Ford Cologne

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Aston to go AMG?