Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Anyone successful change out the license plate bulbs?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 12:17 AM
DoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of light
Question Anyone successfully change out the license plate bulbs?

So I'm trying to change my standard W5W 5W bulbs out from my V8VS to LED Premium White bulbs and spent the last 45-mins trying to remove the stupid license plate bulb lens cover. I followed the OEM instructions over and over again with no luck, and doing my absolute best to not damage the plastic casing or any of my rear bumper paint.

Anyone successful on how to remove those damn things? It seems the right one will be more difficult, especially with the bumperette in the way. Any tips or pointers would greatly help.

Thanks in advance..!

IMG_0587.jpg?t=1356592441

Last edited by DoubleLow7; 12-27-2012 at 12:23 AM.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:37 AM
DoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of light
ahh read a thread where other owners changed out their bulbs for LED's. please help me on how you did it. the plastic covers won't give.

Old 12-27-2012, 07:40 AM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
Easy enough - there is a spring loaded clip on one side of the holder, push a flat bladed screwdriver up in to it and lever it out. It is only on one side and I cannot remember which.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:00 AM
FatFrank has a spectacular aura aboutFatFrank has a spectacular aura about
Looks like the right side from the manual!

Old 12-27-2012, 08:19 AM
yvr
yvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud of
Here's a picture of a DB9 license plate light unit. You'll need to push side-to-side while gently levering one end (for DB9 push up, pull the bottom out). When you figure out which end it is it comes out easily.

Don't know if it's the same part for a Vantage, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't.

Attached Images  
Old 12-27-2012, 10:44 AM
CobaltC4S is on a distinguished road
You have to be really careful with this mod, as the bulb choice will make or break the desired look!

Cool White should be the obvious choice, but just make sure it looks "stock"!

I've seen this mod go ghetto south very easily, don't be shy to try a few types of bulbs to get the perfect light range and output. Hopefully it doesn't set of a CEL as well.

I personally would change out all the amber lights to cool white LEDs on every bulb availble with the exception of tail lights, reverse lights, signal lights etc..

Interior LEDs, plate, trunk, hood, glove compartment etc are good to go!

Old 12-27-2012, 12:41 PM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
Originally Posted by yvr
Here's a picture of a DB9 license plate light unit. You'll need to push side-to-side while gently levering one end (for DB9 push up, pull the bottom out). When you figure out which end it is it comes out easily.

Don't know if it's the same part for a Vantage, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't.
Different on my S but you can see one end is spring loaded and as you say the other end slides out.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:56 AM
q8kamikaze will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by elude
ahh read a thread where other owners changed out their bulbs for LED's. please help me on how you did it. the plastic covers won't give.
Hi , can you please tell me where did you ordered your license plate LED lights ?
a friend with a 05 DB9 looking for it since a long time .

Thank you .

Old 01-03-2013, 09:10 AM
CJPatel has a spectacular aura aboutCJPatel has a spectacular aura about
Hey I did mine, all I know is that its very hard to pry the plastic covers off. Just be patient and take your time. Its worth it. I wish I was home so I should post some pics. I'll see if I can find some. Its a very subtle mod, but having a 2008 or w/e luxury car without LED's in the plates is simply stupid to me.

Cheers and good luck.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:01 AM
Originally Posted by CJPatel
Hey I did mine, all I know is that its very hard to pry the plastic covers off. Just be patient and take your time. Its worth it. I wish I was home so I should post some pics. I'll see if I can find some. Its a very subtle mod, but having a 2008 or w/e luxury car without LED's in the plates is simply stupid to me.

Cheers and good luck.
I FINALLY got it, after buying a cheap $7 hook and pick set from my local tool store, I was able to get the light unit out and replaced them with LED's. You are right, a high-end luxury light without LED's look cheap and this upgrade really matches the quality of the car.

Originally Posted by q8kamikaze
Hi , can you please tell me where did you ordered your license plate LED lights ?
a friend with a 05 DB9 looking for it since a long time .
I purchased the LED's from my local Autozone at a stupid expensive price $10/each when I know you can get them for a fraction of the cost online.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:21 PM
irvineboy is on a distinguished road
I read this late, but this is usually where I get most of my lights. Much cheaper online, but it just takes awhile to get sent out from China.

http://stores.ebay.com/market666/T10...=p4634.c0.m322

Any of the T10 bulbs should work.

I don't know what the interior ones are.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:44 PM
q8kamikaze will become famous soon enough
Good , thanks for the feedback guys .

Old 01-04-2013, 05:09 PM
Meefer is on a distinguished road
I've gone here for my Lexus (lurker still trying to get into his first AM)..

http://www.v-leds.com/194-168-158-LED/c511424-1-2/