Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Vantage 6-speed Gear Oil Grades Explained

Old 02-12-2013, 10:58 AM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Vantage 6-speed Gear Oil Grades Explained

I've been having numerous pms and emails about gear oils. If you've searched, there's a large amount of information that is correct and wrong.

So main questions.. "I have a V8V (ASM or Manual same thing), what gear oil do I replace it with"

From the factory, back 2006 the gear box was being filled with Shell 75W90, under testing in cold climates at -25C, the gear boxes were stiff shifting.

To correc the stiff shifting , SB0236 was released and BOT 270A was of the SB to replace the gear fluid. Castrol BOT 270A was used for it's a 70W, lighter fluid for colder weather. The Castrol BOT 270A is now ONLY available from your Aston Martin Dealer..(unless sourced from places like eBay).

The AM GT4 team suggests Castrol BOT 270A or Shell SAE 75W-90. In my area, Shell 75W-90 is hard to find in bulk for a dealer. being we have a Contract with Castrol, are reps advised us the best similar fluid to Castrol 270A and Shell 75W-90 is Castrol SynTec/SynGear 75W90 in Canada, in the USA this SynTec /SynGear is known as Castrol SynTrax 75W90. We have used the SynTec gear fluid in V8V's with no problem other than stiff when cold. This SynTec fluid is a choice we give to the client to reduce the service cost. If the vehicle is never going to be driven on cold morning/nights/fall/spring(below +10C), the client will usually favor in the SynTec..But price isn't a concern and the client doesn't want to deal with any hassle of stiff shifts, BOT 270A which is the correct fluid is used.

"I have a ASM vehicle, so I am not concerned about stiff shifting" ..True, but a missed shift can cost you $17,000-25,000. The ASM was been built and calibrated with 70W fluid in mind..if the fluid is thick/heavey and cold, a miss shift can happen..the ASM can't adapt for the possible stiff fluid like we can in person, after 3 attempts(strong forced hydraulic attempts) the ASM gives up and flags a fault..and now your stuck at the side of the road cycling the key to get the car moving again, only to realise you now have a bent synchro or linkage or ASM shifter unit...aka $$$$$$$$$

What I have found out from members on the board, the Castrol SynTec/SynTrax is not available over the counter..only sold to dealers via Castrol and possible available to the public if overed in bulk(5 Gallon bucket).

There is a Kendall additive available from A.M, this can also be sourced online. It has come to my attention that it is NOT REQUIRED FOR V8V, you can add it if you wish to use a 75W90 gear oil(don't apply to BOT 270A)..but is not required. It is however required if you change the diff fluid in a Automatic DB9 and decide to use a 75W90 gear fluid WITHOUT a LSD additive already mixed in. I have said in the past to use the Kendall additive in V8V's, if you have applied the additive..no worries, no damage, you can sleep at night..if you ever change the fluid again, it's really just a waste to apply for it's been noticed not to make any difference in V8V.

The gear fluid is replaced every 4 years or 64,000km(which ever comes first). So which fluid you decide really depends on you:
1: Do you mind the high cost in fluid, if this is not a question, put the BOT 270A
2:If the BOT 270A is hard for you to get, weither it be due to cost or area, you can use a 75W90 grade oil, but this is entirely your choice. You can try to source the SynTec/SynTrax, but it's all your choice again, if you drive the vehicle in cold and something does get damaged..you made the coice
3:People have used Royal Purple 75W90, the original Shell 75W90, Castrol 75W90..etc ..and have all had no problems. The gearbox in V8V's is used in Lambo's, Ferarri's..etc. They all don't use BOT 270A from Aston Martin. Aston Martin just had a concern to deal with(cold climate shifting), part of this was solved by using Castrol BOT 270A..you could always try sourcing the fluid from Ferarri or Lambo and input your results..I don't have any further input from that point of view

If I notice any faults in information, or if something you think I should add/edit to this information, let me know and I will edit my post.

Here is a picture of BOT 270A from Castrol so you know what your looking for, or trying to match:

"]

Added...

Manual GearBox Fluid for V8 and V12 Vantage, DB9, DBS: Castrol BOT270A

ASM Transmission for V8 Vantage, Vantage S, One-77: Castrol BOT270A

Automatic Gearbox Fluid for DB9, DBS, Rapide, Virage: Shell ATF M-1375.4 (this is Aston Martin 's fluid name for a ZF transmission fluid, other brands are avail from Land Rover/Jaguar that will work if the Shell is not found locally, mainly dealer supplied fluids)

Automatic Differential Fluid for DB9, DBS, Rapide, Virage: Shell Spirax ASX 75W-90 Or: (DO NOT MIX WITH SHELL SPIRAX ASX) Shell SAE 75W-90 plus Kendall additive.
ASM Transmission Hydraulic System for V8 Vantage, Vantage S, One-77: Pentosin CHF 11S

Added...An aftermarket BOT 270A lubricant has been released for Graziano transaxles by Redline called MT-LV 70W/75W. As some of you might know, I've changed employment and I'm part of the VelocityAP team. We've been using the Redline MT-LV lubricant in replace of the OEM Castrol BOT 270A, ease of access played a huge part. Here's a picture of the Redline MT-LV product:

Attached Images   
Velocity Automotive Performance Limited

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9
Office: (1)250-485-5126
Email: Tuning@VelocityAP.com

www.velocityap.com

Last edited by Irish07@VelocityAP; 07-27-2019 at 12:48 PM. Reason: added Redline option
Old 02-12-2013, 03:46 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
I have stickied this thread at OP's (Irish's) request.

Irish since this is now stickied for entire AM membership, can you put the info in for DB series (manual and TT2), as well as Rapide, in terms of oils/lubricant info. Although most folks here are Vantage owners, sticky thread should inform accross the entire model range. thanks mate

Old 02-12-2013, 07:39 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
awesome stuff, thank you!

Old 02-12-2013, 08:14 PM
shadowhusky will become famous soon enough
After some searching over the last few weeks I have been able to find the Castrol SYNTRAX 75w90 at O'Reilly Auto Parts. They didnt have it on the web site but my local store did carry it.

Here is a link from the Castrol site just to show what it looks like. it is the bottom picture.

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/secti...tentId=7081145

I will either get the Syntrax or the Royal Purple because I will not pay the $110.00 per qt. that the dealer wants.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:10 AM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sunir
I have stickied this thread at OP's (Irish's) request.

Irish since this is now stickied for entire AM membership, can you put the info in for DB series (manual and TT2), as well as Rapide, in terms of oils/lubricant info. Although most folks here are Vantage owners, sticky thread should inform accross the entire model range. thanks mate
Thanx Bud!!

I added the info for all models to my first original post..I only added drivetrain fluids due to the post topic, if I get a demand for all the fluids and I can get some time, I'll do another write-up including them all..Hope this helps!!

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9

www.velocityap.com

Old 04-23-2013, 10:07 AM
Speedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud of
Irish,

Many thanks for this.

Question: Has anyone suggested that the 75W-90 is better for (Vantage) gearbox durability (assuming the driver is gentle during cold shifts)? Is there any downside (other than cost) to the BOT270A?

Old 04-23-2013, 10:53 AM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by Speedraser
Irish,

Many thanks for this.

Question: Has anyone suggested that the 75W-90 is better for (Vantage) gearbox durability (assuming the driver is gentle during cold shifts)? Is there any downside (other than cost) to the BOT270A?
If you were driving a manual box with a stick, you could be gentle and deal with any stiff shifting when cold..if your driving a ASM vehicle, then you cannot control how fast the shifting is done..which could result in something getting damaged if the required sychro is not lined up..

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9

www.velocityap.com

Old 04-23-2013, 11:31 PM
Speedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud of
Thanks for the reply. My car is a manual (3 pedals and a gear lever). Since the BOT270A is thinner, I'm wondering if using the heavier 75W-90 would be better for gearbox durability, assuming I'm gentle with shifts when it's cold. Or, is the BOT270A as good (or better) in every way except cost?

Old 04-24-2013, 06:10 AM
Basic Sponsor
The BOT fluid actually came out to solve an issue with 1st - 2nd engagement on manual stick shift vehicle, along with a revised bellcrank shift arm, which not all V8V's have(newer arm and BOT fluid from factory)..but the thinner BOT fluid was brought to the table for the stick shift vehicle's not ASM..the original fluid on early V8V models was 75W90...later on Aston also relised the BOT fluid would help avoid miss shifts on ASM vehicles when fluid is not up to temp being there is no fluid temp sensor inside the transaxle to get a perfect temp reading..so BOt fluid was used for the whole line to minimize cost..aka also kill 2 birds 1 stone (cost and concerns)..

We do run 75W90 in manual stick shift vehicles if the client requests(all off warranty)..we give the option, large percentage of are client don't notice a difference in stick shifts..we do not put 75W90 in ASM shifted vehicle though.

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9

www.velocityap.com

Old 06-10-2013, 12:03 PM
sbaker5591 is on a distinguished road
Changing Gear Oil

want to change both the Gearbox and differential oils. I have a few questions someone may be able to answer:

• Is the lube the same for both Gearbox and Differential?
  • I can't find this oil in the US easily. Any advice where I can buy it?
  • What volume of lube do each units use?
  • Does anyone have procedure for changing the Gearbox oil?

I appreciate any input!

Attached Images  
Old 06-27-2013, 07:05 PM
turboti is on a distinguished road
Found Castrol Syntrax Limited Slip 75w90 on Amazon for only $54 for a case of 6 bottles (Free super saver shipping also).

Old 08-08-2013, 07:55 AM
Vergis has a spectacular aura aboutVergis has a spectacular aura aboutVergis has a spectacular aura about
Thanks for a great write up Irish !

Has anyone use this item with the Gearbox oil change?

Here is the blurb:

Lucas Transmission Fix has a polymetric film which renews worn bands to stop slipping. It cleans and lubricates sticking valves for proper shifting and controls heat and foaming. This product will extend fluid life up to three times longer. It completely stops most seal leaks and results are usually immediate. It is the perfect preventative maintenance product to stop initial wear in newer transmissions, and is a must for motor homes, towing vehicles and all other hard working transmissions. Compatible with all transmission fluids. Will not void new car warranties and contains no harmful solvents.

I have put about 300 ml in my BMW E66 as part of a 100k fluid change. I have done 4k miles since and it has been great. There is a much smoother gear change, faster off the mark and peace of mind that the conditioners will care for the gearbox internals. Im tempted to put the other 300 ml into the Vantage when I do its transmission oil change. I like the idea that it is a preventative measure to gearbox failure and since my Vantage is currently pushing over 415 bhp soon to go up further it seems a good time to consider this product.

Attached Images  
Old 08-08-2013, 08:07 AM
Originally Posted by Vergis
Thanks for a great write up Irish !

Has anyone use this item with the Gearbox oil change?

Here is the blurb:

Lucas Transmission Fix has a polymetric film which renews worn bands to stop slipping. It cleans and lubricates sticking valves for proper shifting and controls heat and foaming. This product will extend fluid life up to three times longer. It completely stops most seal leaks and results are usually immediate. It is the perfect preventative maintenance product to stop initial wear in newer transmissions, and is a must for motor homes, towing vehicles and all other hard working transmissions. Compatible with all transmission fluids. Will not void new car warranties and contains no harmful solvents.

I have put about 300 ml in my BMW E66 as part of a 100k fluid change. I have done 4k miles since and it has been great. There is a much smoother gear change, faster off the mark and peace of mind that the conditioners will care for the gearbox internals. Im tempted to put the other 300 ml into the Vantage when I do its transmission oil change. I like the idea that it is a preventative measure to gearbox failure and since my Vantage is currently pushing over 415 bhp soon to go up further it seems a good time to consider this product.
I have no specific knowledge of this product, but... "Bands," "slipping" (it doesn't mean clutch slip here) "sticking valves" and "fluid" are all things in planetary torque converter automatic transmissions -- NOT manual (including paddle-manual) gearboxes like that in the Vantage. I wouldn't...

Old 08-08-2013, 09:45 AM
Vergis has a spectacular aura aboutVergis has a spectacular aura aboutVergis has a spectacular aura about
Having read up a lot more on Gearbox Oil and the various types and constituents I have decided that it would be best to not use it as well.

How many litres is needed for change?

Old 08-15-2013, 03:09 PM
Syntrax

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Castrol-Syntrax-Long-Life-75W-90-Gear-Oil-CAS-1820-7160-5-5x1L-5-Litre-/151011620050?pt=UK_Vehicle_Oils_Lubricants_Fluids& hash=item2328fe74d2

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 07-27-2019 at 01:08 PM.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: Vantage 6-speed Gear Oil Grades Explained