6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Aston Martin (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin-39/)
-   -   Stupid stuff people say about your Aston Martin (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin/305907-stupid-stuff-people-say-about-your-aston-martin.html)

tko211 04-20-2013 05:19 PM

Stupid stuff people say about your Aston Martin

Ok, we all know that Aston Martin produces what many believe to be the most beautiful cars in the world. We have all taken questions from drooling bystanders before and no fill up is complete without some comment from the peanut gallery. What I want to know is what are some of the dumber things you have heard or have been asked about your Aston Martin?;)

XJRS Owner 04-20-2013 05:23 PM

Nothing

tko211 04-20-2013 05:26 PM

I will start with my first dumb comments experience since 4 weeks of ownership. Honestly the following just happend not more than 30 minutes ago.

At the Ford dealership signing up for a "Race for the Cure" run which they are part sponsor in. As walk back to my car I see 3 sales people standing around and I overhear "No- I'm telling you its a Chrysler Crossfire" another guy responds "No Way- It's that top of the line Hyundai- the high end genesis" I walk over and they realize I'm the owner so they want to settle the argument- I tell them they are both wrong. Then the 3rd guy finally figures it out by doing what- READING the badge on the front. 3rd guy is proud (apparently in his ability to read) and then pipes up: "wanna trade that in on new Ford?"
No- THANKS!

Seriously how are you in the car business and not know the difference between a Crossfire, a Genesis or an Aston Martin!!!?

dan87951 04-20-2013 06:09 PM

I haven't had anyone say anything negative. However, most people think its a Bentley. I think its the Bentley Gold Coast dealer license plate frame that probably throws them off? Once i tell them its a James Bond car, they immediately say Aston.. :) No harm no foul!

Aston.Ca 04-20-2013 06:28 PM

Lol ... I find the James Bond comments the most common (and irksome) actually, but they are not usually negative.

karlfranz 04-20-2013 11:52 PM

Usually starts with people thinking it's a Bentley. The logos are a bit similar, but I don't think that's the reason they confuse the two—that would be giving them too much credit.

Then we go on to people referring to it as an "Austin Martin". I hear that one quite often.

Neither is as bad as the most common comment I get on my Esprit:

What kind if car is that?
It's a Lotus.
Lotus? Who makes that?
???

After years of getting this question, I finally came up with a good answer: "The British"!

oo7 04-21-2013 05:27 AM

I live out in the country, really different culture, and no one really knows what it is, which is nice for many reasons (could drive my E TYPE JAG and same thing) . Yesterday I had someone ask if it was the new camaro! I was filling up at a gas station and a local police officer had no idea what it was. One real good one was at a local convenience store when someone said "I thought those Eyetalian cars were mostly red". But of course when I drive closer to civilization heads turn, thumbs up, and I can lip read WOW from many a teenage boy.

mikey k 04-21-2013 05:46 AM

Is that a Ferrari
Could you not afford the roof
How fast will it go
Do you want to swap

jmargolese 04-21-2013 08:27 AM

Is that the James Bond car? Why yes it is. Do you have machine guns and an oil slick?
I like the bond affinity, it's easy to tell people that its the Bond car for those that know nothing about cars. Comical in my mind. But,meta he's you what product placement and marketing can do for brands. The Aston was one of the first products ever used in the movies for product placement purposes back in the 60s.

captain Greg 04-21-2013 09:43 AM

I was complimented by a belter of Blonde the other day ' she said I love that new Audi!, to say the least I did not offer my number

Aston.Ca 04-21-2013 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by oo7 (Post 3827619)
I live out in the country, really different culture, and no one really knows what it is, which is nice for many reasons (could drive my E TYPE JAG and same thing) . Yesterday I had someone ask if it was the new camaro! I was filling up at a gas station and a local police officer had no idea what it was. One real good one was at a local convenience store when someone said "I thought those Eyetalian cars were mostly red". But of course when I drive closer to civilization heads turn, thumbs up, and I can lip read WOW from many a teenage boy.

hilarious ... straight out of "Are You Faster Than a Redneck"!

mikes300 04-21-2013 10:42 AM

Nothing really dumb, 99.9% of the time it's, that car is gorgeous! But ya get the Bentley comments once in a while, I did have a guy ask me if it was a Ferrari or a Porsche? A Porsche really?

mikes300 04-21-2013 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by captain Greg (Post 3827752)
I was complimented by a belter of Blonde the other day ' she said I love that new Audi!, to say the least I did not offer my number

Is there something better than a dumb blonde? Lol

barryf43 04-21-2013 10:57 AM

About a week after I got my car I got a text from a friend of mine, who should know better, saying "Nice Jaguar". Pissed me off a bit. It turns out that he just caught a glimpse of me on the road, and didn't really see the car (or so he says).

yvr 04-21-2013 11:27 AM

How about: "is that the one with a Ferrari engine in it?". I guess he was referring to a Maserati. Also get the Bentley thing once in awhile.