Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Time for new brake pads for my Rapide

Old 03-26-2014, 10:23 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Josh123
Whatever you do, don't buy anything but original Aston Martin Brembo pads.
Kind of a bold and completely unsubstantiated statement for someone's first post on this forum, don't you think?

Old 03-27-2014, 12:27 AM
AlexSevadj24 is on a distinguished road
ebc all the way

Old 03-27-2014, 04:53 AM
rbobby is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Fubar
THanks, I will call them on Monday. I have had about three people point me in their direct but I kept hoping to find an "off-the-shelf" option. I can't believe AM charges $2000 just for the pads, that's ridiculous. The car has been a great daily driver but the maintenance expense is prohibitive. $1,500 oil change, $2000 brake pads (service not included), $700 gearbox oil... for real?
$2000 for pads? That's crazy. Are you sure that's just the pads and not rotors as well? I was quoted $2000 pads and rotors for the rear by dealer. I have porterfield now and so far very happy. Any good independent should be able to do brake service for way less, it's not like they need any special software or tools. Also buy a couple of wear sensors in case they get broken during pad change.

Old 03-27-2014, 08:42 AM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
I just ordered a set of the custom Carbotech 1521 pads for the V8 Vantage without the brake sensor cut outs for a very reasonable $280 for the entire set front & rear. Not having the cut outs makes it very cheap and easy and they have hem ready in stock as it is a very common Brembo size.

I will be doing writeup on them shortly.

Old 03-27-2014, 08:54 AM
rscultho is on a distinguished road
My apologies, not trying to hijack the thread, but can DBS pads be had at a "reasonable" price?

If so, where? TIA

Old 03-27-2014, 09:47 AM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
Carbon ceramic pads can only be had from dealership. If it's a steel rotor than Carbotech can make a set for you as long as they have that backing plate in stock.

Old 03-27-2014, 10:07 AM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 007 Vantage
Carbon ceramic pads can only be had from dealership. If it's a steel rotor than Carbotech can make a set for you as long as they have that backing plate in stock.
There's no carbon in the pads used for CCM rotors. You use the same pad materials as for other rotor types.

Old 03-27-2014, 01:59 PM
captain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to behold
I purchased brand new Aston Mastin rear pads for a Rapide. I made this purchase in error. I own a DB9 and called the local dealer to get the part number for pads for a DB9 and instead was provided the part number for Rapide rear brake pads. Please let me know if you're interested. Whatever you do, don't buy anything but original Aston Martin Brembo pads.
interesting comments? i see some say EBC red stuff is great some say dont use it cos it squeals? yet AM bits in Uk sells tons of it? and good value as well? you say dont leave OEM? can you advise why?

Please?

Old 03-27-2014, 04:12 PM
RussianS4 will become famous soon enoughRussianS4 will become famous soon enough
I purchased brand new Aston Mastin rear pads for a Rapide. I made this purchase in error. I own a DB9 and called the local dealer to get the part number for pads for a DB9 and instead was provided the part number for Rapide rear brake pads. Please let me know if you're interested. Whatever you do, don't buy anything but original Aston Martin Brembo pads.

how much you want for it ? i dont need now but will take it if price is right

oleg

Old 03-28-2014, 03:49 AM
Originally Posted by captain Greg
interesting comments? i see some say EBC red stuff is great some say dont use it cos it squeals? yet AM bits in Uk sells tons of it? and good value as well? you say dont leave OEM? can you advise why?

Please?
I ran EBC Redstuff pads on three different Jags (XJL, 2 XKR's). The Redstuff pads have Kevlar in them.

As with any brake/rotor combo, brakes are made to wear. If you use hard pads you will likely score the rotors, and cold stopping might be an issue. If you use the soft pads, you will wear the pads more, the rotors will not wear as much, but there will be more brake dust.

There is always a trade-off between hard pads and rotors with conventional brakes.

My experience with the Redstuff pads is that when they are cold they don't stop as well, and when they are cold they squeal. I don't think they are ideal for stop and go driving, or for occasional braking. The Redstuff pads are better suited (in my opinion) for heavy braking use. As mentioned they have Kevlar in them so they will wear for a long time, but they will most likely ruin your rotors (they ruined mine - I had to replace the rotors after one sets use). They have almost no dust at all.

The EBC Yellowstuff pads are outstanding, especially for normal street driving. Low/no noise, softer material will be better on your rotors, and stopping grip is excellent hot or cold, and very low dusting.

So, with that info, I think you can make a decision that fits your needs the best.

Old 03-28-2014, 03:54 AM
Originally Posted by XJRS Owner
There's no carbon in the pads used for CCM rotors. You use the same pad materials as for other rotor types.
Ahh, well, the service manager told me yesterday that the pads did have carbon in them. He also said that unless I tracked the car heavily, I should not need pads or rotors for a *long* time. CCM pads and rotors take a LONG time to wear out. I was concerned about having to replace the brakes having just got the car, but he spent quite a while explaining several items with me. Very impressive.

Old 03-28-2014, 06:53 AM
dicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by AstonAddict
007 Vantage:

My 2009 V8V will soon need pads all around. I never track it, but am fed up with the dust. If I buy the 1521 pads from them off the website instead of the factory pads do I assume correctly they will just go straight on without any problems with no other impacts?
The only problem, pretty minor, is they don't have cut-outs for the wear sensors. I never wear my pads down to the sensor anyway, so I just Zip-tie the sensors out of the way.

Old 03-28-2014, 07:44 AM
correct, I am installing my carbotech 1521 pads today, They do not have the cutouts, but I don't care because I will ziptie mine away anyways. The non-cutout pads are cheaper if they do not have to source OEM pads

However, if anyone would like my stock OEM pads for the cutouts I have no problems shipping them for a small fee. Anyone wants my stock pads just PM me.

Thx

Old 03-28-2014, 07:55 AM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rscultho
Ahh, well, the service manager told me yesterday that the pads did have carbon in them.
Well, you can believe him if you want, but the brake pads are not carbon ceramic. They have a different coefficient of friction than pads used for steel rotors so as to work with the CCM rotors, but no carbon.

Old 03-31-2014, 08:15 AM
dan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by vonFerro
I swapped my OEM pads with EBC Reds on my Vantage and they gave me nothing but problems. Screeching so loud it could break windows, I had to start using the eBrake to avoid scorns. CEO replaced them with "better" ones from their race line but honestly despite having milled the rotors when the pads were changed, they still tend to squeal, especially if they've been cleaned from a wash\rain. Stuart at RSC has some leads on some good pads I hear
If you don't install the anti squeal kit that Aston Martin provides then you will have this loud screeching sound that you speak of. When I first installed my EBC Reds I forgot the anti-squeal kit and had horrific squealing. I did some research and found Aston Martin had this same problem with their pads back in 2004 and came up with a anti-squeal kit. I installed the anti-squeal shims on the back of my EBC red's and the pads are quiet as can be. I have no squealing with my EBC reds even if the pad is cold or hot!

Last edited by dan87951; 03-31-2014 at 08:24 AM.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Time for new brake pads for my Rapide