Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

V8VS vs. N420 exhaust: Any difference in sound?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 09:42 AM
millsjq has a spectacular aura aboutmillsjq has a spectacular aura about
I much prefer the S exhaust than quicksilver. I think it sounds better and with a remote switch I can have it quiet or load depending on what I want.

Old 08-10-2013, 10:20 PM
rotary rocket has a spectacular aura aboutrotary rocket has a spectacular aura about
Racer x we think alike...

Also with the car's weight distribution at 49/51 it should get it closer to 50/50 and help out in the handling department as well.

Old 08-11-2013, 07:32 PM
Speedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud of
But would a change from 49/51 f/r to 50/50 actually be an improvement (aside from the smallish weight savings)? A slight rear weight bias can be beneficial, perhaps even better than the so-called "ideal" 50/50. Ferrari, for one, explicitly designs their front-engined cars to have a slight rear weight bias.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:38 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
I think I've decided to go with Aston's Sport Exhaust. They claim it is lighter, but by how much, I don't know. I was given a choice of any exhaust I want as long as it is OEM. So any lighter options from other vendors are a moot point.

Here's the exhaust I'll try to get:
http://www.astonmartin.com/cars/asto...ories/dynamics

Old 08-13-2013, 09:54 PM
timwhayden is on a distinguished road
When I ordered my car I was offered this also Karl, but I thought it was the same as the n420 exhaust, but it looks different. I was quoted something like $3900 installed!

Old 08-14-2013, 09:57 AM
riverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud of
Karl,
I just traded my N420 for an S last month. I was at first disappointed in the S sound compared to the N420. It does not bark as distinctly and is a bit quieter. Its not a big difference though and the S does seem to have a bit more burble and pop in deceleration. Both are awesome sounding so you can't really go wrong imo. John

Old 08-14-2013, 10:26 AM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
^^^Interesting. Thanks for your insight.

My dealer placed an order for the Aston Sport Exhaust Kit for me, which according to some people, is the same muffler as on the N420 but also includes the black exhaust tips as part of the kit. We will see.

I suspect that no matter what, it will sound different than on the N420 since my car is a 4.3 and the N420 is a 4.7.

Like I linked before, this is what the Sport Exhaust looks like.

Old 08-14-2013, 07:28 PM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
They are different...but the sound of the V8VS does not come from the different muffler..know this cause we tried-tested-failed.....the sound is due to the different exhaust manifolds and smaller catalysts + tune. We did noticed a difference in the tone a bit when fitting a v8vs muffler to a regular v8v, it did sound similar to N420..just it didn't have the N420 exhaust tune to make the bypass valves react differently

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9
Office: (1)250-485-5126
Email: Tuning@VelocityAP.com

www.velocityap.com

Old 08-15-2013, 01:47 AM
dolceleo is on a distinguished road
Hi all, I heard the sound of Vantage S exhaust.... It's fantastic!!!!
And is different (a lot) from my Vantage my 2007.

But is possible to change it (only if original AM) and transform my sound into The same of S model?
Anyone did it?

Old 08-15-2013, 09:40 PM
macksamus will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by karlfranz
^^^Interesting. Thanks for your insight.

My dealer placed an order for the Aston Sport Exhaust Kit for me, which according to some people, is the same muffler as on the N420 but also includes the black exhaust tips as part of the kit. We will see.

I suspect that no matter what, it will sound different than on the N420 since my car is a 4.3 and the N420 is a 4.7.

Like I linked before, this is what the Sport Exhaust looks like.
Karl - I wouldn't count on the AM sports exhaust looking like the picture on AM's website. I ordered mine about a year ago and it looks very similar to the stock exhaust but is slightly lighter and does sound better, IMO. Here are some pics I took today so you can see what it looks like.

Also, the part number from the AM catalogue is different from the part number on the actual exhaust. When my dealership called up the UK about this, they said it was because the catalogue part number includes the exhaust and graphite exhaust tips.

Lasty, from what I'm told, the part number on the AM sports exhaust is the same as on the V12V exhaust (i.e., same OEM exhaust that comes on the V12V).

Attached Images   
Old 08-16-2013, 07:09 AM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Regular V8V: 6G33-5230-HK
Sport Exhaust for Reg V8V: 6G33-35-10541
N420: AD23-5230-AE
V8VS 2014+: BG33-5230-AB

Karl, with the Sport exhaust..just make sure the dealer orders and programs the Sport Exhaust ConFig file to the PCM..there is a different tune for the exhaust to control the bypass valves..even if you keep the fuse pulled, it's still worth getting the tune being it's part of the kit and will make a different sound with the bypass valves operating

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9
Office: (1)250-485-5126
Email: Tuning@VelocityAP.com

www.velocityap.com

Old 08-16-2013, 11:25 AM
dolceleo is on a distinguished road
What about the price of The original AM sport exhaust?

Old 08-16-2013, 06:09 PM
Originally Posted by macksamus
Karl - I wouldn't count on the AM sports exhaust looking like the picture on AM's website. I ordered mine about a year ago and it looks very similar to the stock exhaust but is slightly lighter and does sound better, IMO. Here are some pics I took today so you can see what it looks like.

Also, the part number from the AM catalogue is different from the part number on the actual exhaust. When my dealership called up the UK about this, they said it was because the catalogue part number includes the exhaust and graphite exhaust tips.

Lasty, from what I'm told, the part number on the AM sports exhaust is the same as on the V12V exhaust (i.e., same OEM exhaust that comes on the V12V).

Hmm. When you ordered your exhaust a year ago, did the AM catalog show the picture of the exhaust it shows now? I have seen DB9 exhausts for sale on eBay that look just like the one in the catalog. There's an example of one here. So I wonder if this is just a case of Aston choosing the wrong picture for the catalog. I guess when I finally get mine, I'll finally know—not that it makes any difference in its sound or in the grand scheme of things.

If your exhaust is only one year old, where did all the rust come from on the seams. My car is an '07MY and the OE exhaust is still shiny after 30K miles.

The exhaust part numbers for the V12V and N420 exhaust are similar, but not identical:

N420: AD23-5230-AE
V12V: AD23-5230-AC
V8VS: BG33-5230-AB
Sport Exhaust Kit: 6G33-35-10541 (includes GraphitIC exhaust tips and config file)

Old 08-16-2013, 06:12 PM
If you haven't seen it, check out the videos I posted of the Kreissieg exhaust in this thread. It is crazy loud.

Old 10-16-2013, 11:58 PM
SonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by riverflyer
Karl,
I just traded my N420 for an S last month. I was at first disappointed in the S sound compared to the N420. It does not bark as distinctly and is a bit quieter. Its not a big difference though and the S does seem to have a bit more burble and pop in deceleration. Both are awesome sounding so you can't really go wrong imo. John
John,

The Quicksilver on your old V8V was pure Ecstasy!!!! I miss that car to this day however I started looking for a 2009 4.7... which means sooner or later I rejoin the AM Owners Group . Just read by the way that you got a V8VS??? You really are a true car enthusiast my friend.

Lev

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: V8VS vs. N420 exhaust: Any difference in sound?