Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

V8VS vs. N420 exhaust: Any difference in sound?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 12:56 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
V8VS vs. N420 exhaust: Any difference in sound?

I might be getting a new exhaust for my V8V and need to make a choice of what to get. Does anyone know if the sound is discernibly different between the V8VS and N420 exhausts? I was told they have different part numbers, so I'm curious what difference there would be.

I know this is a loaded and very subjective question but if you could get any exhaust you wanted for your V8V, which would you choose?

Old 08-09-2013, 04:50 PM
AXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to behold
Karl: I purchased a used V12Vantage exhaust (with 2k miles on it) which I'd be willing to sell to you for $500. Plus shipping. I've become accustomed to the sound of my Milltek exhaust so I don't need to make the change.

Old 08-09-2013, 05:12 PM
millsjq has a spectacular aura aboutmillsjq has a spectacular aura about
I think if you check the part numbers the VantageV12 and the N420, are the same.

Old 08-09-2013, 05:26 PM
Basic Sponsor
Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Karl, from what I have heard from a couple of people, the N420 is louder than the Vantage S. Just anecdotal but have heard the same thing from a couple of people.

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
Office: (1)250-485-5126
www.velocityap.com
Old 08-09-2013, 06:45 PM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by karlfranz
I know this is a loaded and very subjective question but if you could get any exhaust you wanted for your V8V, which would you choose?
A lighter one. Don't think I'd swap one heavy OEM exhaust for another.

Old 08-09-2013, 07:21 PM
rotary rocket has a spectacular aura aboutrotary rocket has a spectacular aura about
Totally agree with Racer X. I must have lost a good 30-50 lbs going to a Quick Silver.

LOVE the sound too..she is such a vicious ***** now.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:00 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
If I wanted a lighter car, I wouldn't have gone for the Aston. (Besides, that's what I have an Esprit for )

I honestly don't think I could tell the difference with my car having an exhaust that is 30 lbs lighter. Sound is what I really care about and looking at the N420 videos on youtube, it sounds pretty awesome.

Old 08-09-2013, 09:57 PM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
The Aston will never be a light car, but losing weight can only improve it and the OEM exhaust is really heavy. That said, if the N420 sound is what you want, go for it.

Old 08-09-2013, 10:42 PM
^^^^ How much weight do you think it would have to lose before you really felt a difference though? I don't know how 30 lbs can make a difference. My Esprit is literally 1,000 lbs lighter than the Vantage. That is a big difference. And I can feel it.

Old 08-09-2013, 11:49 PM
timwhayden is on a distinguished road
I am considering the same exhaust changes as Karl. For those of you that have owned/been around a lot of both V8V and V8S how much louder is the S? How about the the N420/V12 compared to the S for those with experience with both? How loud are they compared to aftermarket like Tubi?

Old 08-10-2013, 03:57 AM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
I've done a couple of large drives out with 20-30 Astons
The S is louder and pops a lot more than the preface lift V8
It is similar to a stock V12 I cannot hear a difference to an N420
Not heard too many aftermarket ones back to back with the S

Old 08-10-2013, 04:32 AM
MichaelD will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by karlfranz
^^^^ How much weight do you think it would have to lose before you really felt a difference though? I don't know how 30 lbs can make a difference. My Esprit is literally 1,000 lbs lighter than the Vantage. That is a big difference. And I can feel it.
I'm really obsessive about weight with my mountain bikes, and brought that thinking to my Vantage, did all the calculations to work out the most cost-effective changes, then reflected over the massive cost, and likely improvements in the driving experience.

The real test was when I fill the car with petrol, that must add around 100lbs, but I really can't feel any difference.

Another test is adding a passenger, but then you're more distracted by their presence, and less able to be objective about the driving experience.

So, although it feels wrong, I've concluded that you really need to make massive changes to the weight of the car to make a noticeable difference to the driving experience, and those weight changes would really change the nature of the car. KarlFranz is right, buy a light car too, and keep the nature of the Aston.

Old 08-10-2013, 06:08 AM
RossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond repute
(My opinion) The Vantage S exhaust is by far the best sounding exhaust for the V8V. I've had stock, Quiksilver and heard the N420 on multiple occasions but the Vantage S sounded perfect. It's low, burbles a lot, and is a symphony in the higher range.

Old 08-10-2013, 06:58 AM
Just a couple of notes: I'm not a fan of the crackles and pops on overrun on exhausts although I do realize a lot of people like that sound.

Also, both the N420 or V8VS have 4.7 engines. I suspect that their exhausts would sound different on my 4.3. Does anyone know for sure?

Old 08-10-2013, 08:53 AM
My point is not that you should change out your exhaust to make the car lighter, but that if you're already changing it you may as well get a lighter one. I don't know the exact figures but if the weight savings would be around 40-50 lbs, that's worthwhile IMO. That's like taking a 45 lb gym plate out of the trunk. Is it going to be a huge change that transforms the car? No. Will it improve the performance of the car? Well, yeah. Again, if you're changing out the exhaust anyway, why not lose the weight. Just my 2 pennies.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: V8VS vs. N420 exhaust: Any difference in sound?