6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Aston Martin (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin-39/)
-   -   Why do AMs have such poor resale value? (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin/320552-why-do-ams-have-such-poor-resale-value.html)

Allen121 10-23-2013 08:08 PM

Why do AMs have such poor resale value?

I've decided to sell my V8V and shocked by the inbound offers (individuals and dealers). I'm also shocked at the comparable listings on the major websites (i.e. AutoTrader, eBay, CL). But if I look at a 2008 Audi R8 with relatively the same mileage, most listings are $90K+.

That's just one example, but why do AMs have such bad resale value?

Mark8V8 10-23-2013 08:27 PM

Really a great question. My opinion is AM appeals to a very limited market, particularly in the US. People that desire an AM, appreciate a beautifully designed hand built automobile using quality materials. The AM design never looks dated. Most US buyers and magazines focus on 0-60 times and horsepower. Once you have had all these toys you realize that stuff like HP and straight line acceleration are not what it's all about. A person needs to understand what a vehicle really provides in the terms of experience. Unfortunately most buyers just don't see what AM owners enjoy. Like fine wine or music that can be wasted on people that simple don't take time enjoy the experience.

Allen121 10-23-2013 08:40 PM

Makes sense, but I still find it hard to wrap my head around. The Audi R8 (V8) isn't that much faster than a V8V (they might actually have the same 0-60 times), yet looks sexier and refined. I would expect that an exclusive brand such as Aston Martin, would retain its resale value better.

oo7 10-24-2013 03:11 AM

Americans are fearful of British car makers, in particular, the smaller ones. Also, the misleading and persistent repair expense information adds to the "negative talk" fodder. I believe when real world miles are put on these cars and their inherent robustness is demonstrated, demand will increase.

buzzm 10-24-2013 05:17 AM

perception plays a big part, ask the average person how much it costs to own and maintain an aston, then ask how much to own and maintain and audi, i'm sure you will get drastically different answers.

audi prices have always been fairly good and stable, they just dont depreciate as badly as other cars, look at amg if you want to see serious depreciation

jcpca356 10-24-2013 07:50 AM

4 Attachment(s)
We loved my dad's 87 Jag XJ... (racing green too) but when he had to fix the A/C five times in the summer of 95, we said bye bye British. It wasn't until 98 I decided to get back into British cars with this~~:)

Aston maintenance expense isn't any more expensive than Porsches and definitely much less than Lambos and Ferrari's - all of which I've had in the past 47 cars I've owned.

Better for the astute buyer who can find true bargains in the modern British realm.... I hope to think that was me when I bought the 07V8V this past summer with 15k miles :)

HenryM 10-24-2013 10:02 AM

Aston Martins from model years 2005 through 2008 have resale prices that are low because Aston over produced cars. In those years Aston made 7,000 to 8,000 cars. When the financial crisis hit in 2008 any left over 2007 and 2008 cars had their prices slashed to make way for 2009 cars which had a number of improvements like more horsepower and a refreshed interior. So, too many cars for too few buyers.

Ynot 10-24-2013 10:13 AM

My opinion is that British cars has a horrible reputation with reliability like Jaguars. They also have a reputation of expensive maintenance. The lack of Aston Martin dealers around the national doesn't help either. Audi's has a great reputation, dealers are everywhere, and maintenance people feel is reasonable. The R8 is beautiful and exclusive, all adds up to the desirability of that model. Opposite of what people's perception of AM. People feel like they are taking a risk on the AM, they don't feel the same way with an Audi. Anyway, for all the same reasons above I ended up with a Porsche instead of a AM Vantage.

oo7 10-24-2013 11:05 AM

This is the answer

Originally Posted by Ynot (Post 3965171)
My opinion is that British cars has a horrible reputation with reliability like Jaguars. They also have a reputation of expensive maintenance. The lack of Aston Martin dealers around the national doesn't help either. Audi's has a great reputation, dealers are everywhere, and maintenance people feel is reasonable. The R8 is beautiful and exclusive, all adds up to the desirability of that model. Opposite of what people's perception of AM. People feel like they are taking a risk on the AM, they don't feel the same way with an Audi. Anyway, for all the same reasons above I ended up with a Porsche instead of a AM Vantage.

Exactly!

SonicKrack 10-24-2013 11:53 AM

OP, what are you asking and what are the offers you are getting? There is a 2009 well equipped V8V for just under $70,000...

R_Rated 10-24-2013 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Allen121 (Post 3964857)
Makes sense, but I still find it hard to wrap my head around. The Audi R8 (V8) isn't that much faster than a V8V (they might actually have the same 0-60 times), yet looks sexier and refined. I would expect that an exclusive brand such as Aston Martin, would retain its resale value better.

Lets not kid ourselves... The Aston is in another category for craftsmanship but the Audi is a much flashier to the layman like a watch. It's like having a breitling or Rolex Vs. say a Paneri IMO. The Breitling is going to be bold and flashy and the Rolex(worn by every joe schmo who ever made presidents club) is known to be fancy (as is any mid/rear engine car) and although on the surface the Paneri looks plane, it is the small production work of art between the 3.

Maintenance costs are also much higher on the aston since they don't share parts with jettas and such cars which also hurts resale.

Allen121 10-24-2013 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by SonicKrack (Post 3965297)
OP, what are you asking and what are the offers you are getting? There is a 2009 well equipped V8V for just under $70,000...

I'm advertising mine at ~$70K and getting offers in the $50K range. I do see a few 2007's in the $50K/$60K range on AutoTrader and eBay, but I'm pricing mine more at the mean average rather than the outliers. Most of them also have higher mileage, less than ideal ext/int color combos (i.e. Blue w/red int), and/or less options.

AXARUNNER 10-24-2013 02:11 PM

I was offered a range on a trade between $40K and $53K for my 2007 Vantage with 25K on the OD. Upgrades included V8S Vantage wheels and a carbon front lip... But honestly, based upon what I've seen, 53K was a solid wholesale price for my car and the reason I'm driving a newly leased 2013 Vantage S SP10 436hp...
I owned one of the first Audi R8's delivered back in 2007 (took delivery in Europe too)... Sold the car in 2008 and didn't take much of a beating. When it was time to replace my 2007 Vantage (which I purchased used in 2010) I didn't even consider anything else. This new Aston is simply THE BEST SPORTS CAR I have ever owned. The difference between the 2007 and 2013 is really remarkable. Before that, it was the R8...

SonicKrack 10-24-2013 02:53 PM

Sold my 2007 V8V in 2010 for $76, 000. Had 6700 miles on it, Tungsten Silver, sportshift, Quicksilver exhaust, HID, Nav.... Took 4 months for the right buyer to bite up in Montana. Good luck buddy!!!

drcollie 10-24-2013 03:16 PM

Cars like these are niche, all the way. The market segment that wants a vehicle like an Aston is very small and those that can afford it even smaller. For many its a stretch to get into a $ 70K car and most that do want the comfort of a warranty because any mechanical failure would break their bank account. That's why you see more demand for a new Porsche Boxster at $ 65,000 than a 2007 Aston Martin Vantage. Offer your 2007 Vantage with a 3 year / 36,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty (that would take some courage!) and watch the buyers line up. Its really not desire, its economics.

Secondly, if you want to sell an exotic for the highest dollar you should have a decent camera - the skill to use it and be able to post a whole lot of photos. I'm am constantly amazed at how many people write an ad and use their crap little iPhone camera to take a couple of shots in lousy lighting and the car has dirty carpets with a coffee cup in the console, is parked next to a dumpster and hasn't been freshly washed. Staging a car for sale is critical. You have to appeal to the emotion of the buyer in this class of car. I had a pal trying to sell his Porsche Panamera and that's not an easy car to photograph. He has a top of the line Nikon SLR, but his photos made the car look terrible. I said "Get the car out of the cul-de-sac and with a clean background, wet down the blacktop with a hose and then back up and shoot with a telephoto lens rather than close up with a wide angle..it will make the car look longer rather than stubby and fat". He never thought of that.

Finally, patience is the key. If you present the car correctly, you have to wait for the right buyer to come along. What's his trigger? The color? The wheels? The mileage? The way the paint reflects off the hood? who knows...but everyone has a trigger - you have to wait for the right buyer to find your car.