6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Aston Martin (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin-39/)
-   -   shift light on '06 Vantage V8? (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin/323809-shift-light-06-vantage-v8.html)

XWCGT 12-02-2013 10:29 AM

shift light on '06 Vantage V8?

I see the Reverse light at the top of the instrument pannel, but ive read that there is also supposed to be shift lights in that same spot when in forward gears. true?
that spot is blank/black for me at all other times but when in reverse.

drcollie 12-02-2013 10:38 AM

It's there, rev it up and you'll see it near the redline...

karlfranz 12-02-2013 10:46 AM

If you're not seeing the shift lights, you're not driving it hard enough. ;)

007 Vantage 12-02-2013 10:51 AM

The shift light comes on too late IMO for stock redline, but when you up the redline to 7600 its perfect and you have enough time to use it. Tune does not changed what RPM it activates at.

jroback 12-02-2013 01:20 PM

LOL. I asked this same question 5 weeks ago, and the response were right -- it only showed up near the red line. JR

XWCGT 12-02-2013 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by karlfranz (Post 3992760)
If you're not seeing the shift lights, you're not driving it hard enough. ;)

Ha ha ha. You must not know me well enough yet! ;)

Seriously, thanks! Ive had it out on the track already, and didnt notice the lights, but generally there, im focused on the road and sounds. But, i would have thought i would have seen it near the 7k RPM range, but it either is not illuminating, or i didnt notice it.

I also thougth there was a gear selection illumination as well, or is that only for reverse? (i.e. "R" being illuminating)

karlfranz 12-04-2013 11:17 PM

Yeah, reverse is the only gear that shows up on the display. Unlike reverse, the car doesn't really know what forward gear you are in when you select it.

And the shift lights are useless because, when you finally see them, you'll be hitting the rev-limiter within microseconds. They remind me of most vehicle laser detectors: they only alert you early enough to let you know that you just got a speeding ticket.

XWCGT 12-05-2013 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by karlfranz (Post 3995234)
Yeah, reverse is the only gear that shows up on the display. Unlike reverse, the car doesn't really know what forward gear you are in when you select it.

And the shift lights are useless because, when you finally see them, you'll be hitting the rev-limiter within microseconds. They remind me of most vehicle laser detectors: they only alert you early enough to let you know that you just got a speeding ticket.

Thats funny. (and the answer i was looking for, thanks)
In fact, on the track, you would have think I would have noticed it, at least once.... Nope. Ill have to get it to redline as soon as I get it warmed up again just to see.

frankgtb 12-05-2013 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by 007 Vantage (Post 3992766)
The shift light comes on too late IMO for stock redline, but when you up the redline to 7600 its perfect and you have enough time to use it. Tune does not changed what RPM it activates at.

what exactly do you mean by up the redline to 7600???reset ignition disable at 7600????

XWCGT 12-05-2013 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by karlfranz (Post 3995234)

Now that I took it to redline and actually watched for the lights, they do come on. They are pretty useless. :) Hey, but at least they work.

Vergis 12-06-2013 01:33 PM

There must be a way of getting the shift lights to activate earlier?

Christiaan0922 12-06-2013 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by XWCGT (Post 3995457)
Thats funny. (and the answer i was looking for, thanks)
In fact, on the track, you would have think I would have noticed it, at least once.... Nope. Ill have to get it to redline as soon as I get it warmed up again just to see.

I appreciated seeing this thread also btw. Have had the exact same question for quite some time. Am now hoping to find a new solution to brake squeel, rather than blasting the brakes with the garden hose before I take the car out.

XWCGT 12-06-2013 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Christiaan0922 (Post 3996502)
I appreciated seeing this thread also btw. Have had the exact same question for quite some time. Am now hoping to find a new solution to brake squeel, rather than blasting the brakes with the garden hose before I take the car out.

grab some new pads and bed them properly. should be a very easy fix. if you are dead set on keeping the old pads, try some 100 to 60mph hard brake excersizes. 5 in a row, on a safe , empty stretch of hyway.

Christiaan0922 12-08-2013 10:54 AM

It seems difficult to find that remote stretch of isolated freeway these days in the San Francisco Bay Area. But I will keep it in mind. On those few days I have available to work on the car I've been more inclined to enjoy the good weather going for a drive. This is what continues to make a "great" day off for me! Also...I've discovered from other threads that new pads haven't always been a solution??

XWCGT 12-09-2013 04:27 AM

pads are the solution, unless the rotors are badly grooved, which its rare to have happen.
Its all the pads and the bed in procedure.