Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Aston Martin as a First Car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 07:04 PM
blue_skies is just really niceblue_skies is just really niceblue_skies is just really niceblue_skies is just really niceblue_skies is just really nice
Originally Posted by drcollie
I hate you - but want to be your adopted brother.
I already have an adopted brother, but I'll see what their return policy is.

Old 01-15-2014, 11:36 PM
lailainoob is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Ynot
Highly doubt if that's true, there is no shame in saying your parents paid for it. There are a lot of rich Chinese exchange students in North America. Anyways, it's a horrible idea. Here is why.

My parents worked hard and saved a lot of money for my College tuition. Then I got a 4 year scholarship and they gave me every single penny of it. I went to the nearest BMW and order myself a brand new M3. All I did was parked that car on campus to collect dust. College life is hectic with classes, exams, midterms, friends, girlfriends, part-time job, and college life itself. I never really enjoyed my car, didn't have time for it. My brother in high school took it most of the time to keep the battery from dying. Unless you like to showoff, it's a horrible idea.
The only thing my parents are paying for is tuition and accommodation, that's pretty much it. I have a partial scholorship, but that can only pay so much. And in regards to my business, there's plenty of market in China for programming and the use of VPNs to bypass censorship, and I have taken the opportunity to distribute a VPN to bypass censorship and allow others to access social media websites and websites blocked within China.

Like I said in the other post, the issue of getting such a car is still on my mind; and yes I am still thinking of what my other options are.

Last edited by lailainoob; 01-15-2014 at 11:51 PM.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:36 AM
bluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by lailainoob

Like I said in the other post, the issue of getting such a car is still on my mind; and yes I am still thinking of what my other options are.
I think some of your initial thoughts were good; Range Rover, Porsche Cayenne. The ability to haul stuff around, plus 4 people when necessary, along with 4 wheel drive would seem very handy.

If you are set against an SUV, maybe something like an Audi A7 would provide some utility, AWD and still a spory car.

The other recommendation if you want more of a performance type car; porsche panamera. 4 seats, available AWD, hatchback for some utility. Admittedly maybe not the prettiest car (some might say ugly), but it probably wouldn't draw as much attention as an aston, and I think that would be good in a college setting

Enjoy your search

Old 01-16-2014, 07:42 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bluebarchetta
I think some of your initial thoughts were good; Range Rover, Porsche Cayenne. The ability to haul stuff around, plus 4 people when necessary, along with 4 wheel drive would seem very handy.

If you are set against an SUV, maybe something like an Audi A7 would provide some utility, AWD and still a spory car.

The other recommendation if you want more of a performance type car; porsche panamera. 4 seats, available AWD, hatchback for some utility. Admittedly maybe not the prettiest car (some might say ugly), but it probably wouldn't draw as much attention as an aston, and I think that would be good in a college setting

Enjoy your search
I agree with this. Especially if it's your only vehicle, get something with utility. There are plenty of vehicles out there that offer style, utility, and sportiness. An Aston Martin is a great car that can be driven comfortably any day, but it isn't very practical year-round, let alone when you need extra space.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:54 AM
nycabman will become famous soon enough
Doesn't matter how much money you have, that kind of car does not belong in a college setting. I have an Aston and even at my age, 46, there is still some uncomfortable situations with strangers. Do yourself a favor, and get something that is very cool, fun, and will be understated and stay off the radar. I agree, Range Rover sport supercharged, Porsche cayenne turbo, BMW X5 M, even a MB G65 would be a great, cool, and exclusive choice.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:54 AM
AXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by nycabman
Doesn't matter how much money you have, that kind of car does not belong in a college setting. I have an Aston and even at my age, 46, there is still some uncomfortable situations with strangers. Do yourself a favor, and get something that is very cool, fun, and will be understated and stay off the radar. I agree, Range Rover sport supercharged, Porsche cayenne turbo, BMW X5 M, even a MB G65 would be a great, cool, and exclusive choice.
I drove a very cool car (Lancia Scorpion) (well it was cool at the time) whilst in college and I simply made it work for me. It was rear-wheel drive (the equivalent of $35,000 in todays dollars)… and I could care less what folks thought of me. I was on an athletic scholarship so I was able to save my parents $$$ in tuition. So just do what you want and live your life.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:27 AM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
Originally Posted by bluebarchetta

Enjoy your search
My wires drives the A7 and it is nice car that gets plenty of complements. I would recommend looking into the S7 since funds seem to be available and it probably competes well agains the V8v, except it hauls stuff and is awd.

The question of wether the V8v belongs on a college campus is debatable but I would submit that a very expensive flashy car might cause you to be judged in a way that could be hurtful. Trust me about this it has happened to me. Be careful about thinking it will not bother or affect you. You might be mistaken.

Since you asked this on the forum you must be open to advice Consider advice carefully before discarding it.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:34 AM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
I agree with everyone on Page 2, get an SUV, getting an Aston will make you cool for about a week, then it's all downhill from there. It will cause too much stress. A nice SUV will be perfect, your friends could come along, it's practical, you can go on a nice weekend trip to get away, etc.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:45 AM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
I had a hard time wrapping my head around the OP choosing between an SUV and AM??? They are polar opposites.

Old 01-17-2014, 05:37 AM
rbobby is on a distinguished road
http://www.businessinsider.com/outra...photos-2013-12

I have a better suggestion. Transfer to Dubai and problem solved.

Old 01-17-2014, 07:23 AM
flinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to behold
Please reconsider

College student, Toronto winters and an Aston Martin Vantage do not go together. If you absolutely have to a car let me suggest something with four wheel drive, substantial ground clearance and snow tires.

There are many good, knowledgeable responses above...the most applicable from blue skies.

Old 01-17-2014, 02:57 PM
4leafcloverz is on a distinguished road
I am in college with a DB9 and I would most definitely recommend it. I too am Canadian and from near Toronto (since relocated to BC). That being said nobody should own an exotic as their only car. Normally I drive an Evoque. Without a doubt you need a second car at least. If you're only looking to buy one car I'd suggest the range rover.

To answer your question. As clutches go it's fairly normal. Thrash it and it will break. Drive like a normal person and it will be fine. Maintenance is fairly inexpensive in comparison to the price, about $1000 for a regular service. Budget $3-5k for incidentals and you're set.

Old 01-17-2014, 03:31 PM
oo7
oo7 will become famous soon enoughoo7 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by 4leafcloverz
I am in college with a DB9 and I would most definitely recommend it. I too am Canadian and from near Toronto (since relocated to BC). That being said nobody should own an exotic as their only car. Normally I drive an Evoque. Without a doubt you need a second car at least. If you're only looking to buy one car I'd suggest the range rover.

To answer your question. As clutches go it's fairly normal. Thrash it and it will break. Drive like a normal person and it will be fine. Maintenance is fairly inexpensive in comparison to the price, about $1000 for a regular service. Budget $3-5k for incidentals and you're set.
You can only have an Aston when your young once! Compromise now and it may become a habit. Buy a practical beater for those times when the Aston isn't practical

Old 01-18-2014, 01:53 PM
TGED is on a distinguished road
Times have changed, now half of the college kids do not have a driver's license, and most of the young people have no interests in cars. To them, an Aston is just another car. Car thefts have decreased significantly in the past few years, professions still steal them for parts and export, young kids do not steal them for joy ride anymore.

Old 01-18-2014, 06:54 PM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
The media keeps on harping on the idea that young people don't want cars. I don't think this is true though. While younger people aren't buying cars it's in large part an economic problem. Most young people would love to have a car but simply can't afford one.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Aston Martin as a First Car?