Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

I keep getting a big tangle of metal stuck under my car...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 04:03 AM
jroback is on a distinguished road
I keep getting a big tangle of metal stuck under my car...

... Not really, but it sure sounds like it. it happens very intermittently, and then goes away. Often occurs with a hard left turn, and at low speed. Last night I took a slow hard left to get next to a gas pump and the sound started. It stopped when I stopped, so its movement-related. This is about the fourth time I've gotten down to look under the car when this sound happens because it sounds exactly like a big piece of metal being dragged under the car. About 10 seconds after I started up and pulled out of the gas station it just disappeared. It didn't happen again the rest of the way home. Any ideas what that sound is?

Old 01-20-2014, 05:47 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Parking brake?

Old 01-20-2014, 06:27 AM
I guess its possible. When it happens I have tried to jiggle the parking brake handle, but the disappearance of the sound is not immediate enough to indicate that was the cause.

Old 01-20-2014, 07:41 AM
AMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to all
Could it be a rock stuck between the rotor and the caliper. Happens all the time in my area. One second the noise is there, then the next it's gonna.

Old 01-20-2014, 07:49 AM
yvr
yvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by AMFixer
Could it be a rock stuck between the rotor and the caliper. Happens all the time in my area. One second the noise is there, then the next it's gonna.
Yup, happens to me a few times a year. Sounds like the belly pan fell off. The first couple of times it happened I actually stopped, looked under the car, looked on the road for junk -- nothing. When it happens, you usually can't reproduce it no matter how hard you try. Doesn't seem to do any harm.

Old 01-20-2014, 07:56 AM
AM Fixer and yvr: Like you said, its intermittent, you can't reproduce it (especially not when you're at the dealer !), it sounds like the pan fell off and is dragging, and then its gone.

I bet that's it. I never thought of that. I love this forum! -- Thanks!

Old 01-20-2014, 11:18 AM
sonnyd is a jewel in the roughsonnyd is a jewel in the roughsonnyd is a jewel in the rough
Had it once. Pulled over in a hurry. Found NOTHING unusual. Been normal ever since. I do, however, get the odd metallic "twang" once almost every drive, always at low speed.

Old 01-20-2014, 11:26 AM
sonnyd: yes, me too, but it is a different level of intensity than the sound that prompted this post. As long as you brought it up, however, what is that crazy random twang?

Old 01-20-2014, 12:20 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Has happened to me twice. Sounds like metallic scraping. Usually cause by a small stone jammed between the caliper and the dust shield behind the rotor. Going slowly in reverse and then forward again usually dislodges it.

Old 01-20-2014, 03:03 PM
XWCGT has a spectacular aura aboutXWCGT has a spectacular aura aboutXWCGT has a spectacular aura about
I had that too, turned out to be a piece of a plyers that entered the tire and eventually, fell into the tire. it sounded like I was dragging chicken wire when going real slow.

Old 01-20-2014, 03:08 PM
oo7
oo7 will become famous soon enoughoo7 will become famous soon enough
I have experienced this too, sounds like a fan rotating slowly hitting sheet metal at an edge. Happens when it is really cold or car has set for a couple weeks

Old 01-21-2014, 03:22 AM
Its good to hear that its a nuisance, but no one seems to think its a problem. When I heard that sound in the past I saw mounting repair bills...

Old 01-21-2014, 05:47 AM
rbobby is on a distinguished road
I had it happen once early on. I thought I broke something serious after a hard turn. It probably was a piece of road debris. I heard something metallic fall out onto the road and the scraping noise was gone. Car was fine since.

Old 01-22-2014, 08:33 AM
dan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to all
Do you have all your bolts installed on the belly pan? Just missing a few bolts can cause weird noises. If you hold the steering wheel at a hard left or right does the noise come back? Power steering pumps when failing will make some rather weird noises as well. Good luck and hope you find out whats causing it.

Old 01-22-2014, 01:42 PM
Don't know about the belly pan, but I will check.

In my experience the noise IS most often seen after a hard left turn (like the U-turn I made to get next to the gas pump). But it doesn't happen all the time. I will keep an eye on that.

Thanks for the advice. JR

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I keep getting a big tangle of metal stuck under my car...