6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Aston Martin (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin-39/)
-   -   Any Spark Plugs Ideas? (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin/327576-any-spark-plugs-ideas.html)

SaidK1985 01-24-2014 10:57 AM

Any Spark Plugs Ideas?

Hi all,

so im about to get my '05 AM DB9 serviced, and the spark plugs are one of them items to be replaced. Im working with this independent shop that helps me to get the OEM parts online for cheaper, and they're charging half of what an AM dealer would have for the labor.

As for the spark plugs, the OEM ones cost about $400-$500. There are after market ones for a fraction of the price. Not that i want to feed my baby with junk, but sometimes the after market part are cheaper AND better, right? I wanted to see what you guys think of aftermarket spark plugs, if you guys recommend them, and maybe if anyone has used them in theirs or know someone that has?

This is one of the ones i was looking at http://www.autoanything.com/ignition...A5376A0A0.aspx

Let me know what you guys think. Many thanks in advance!
Said

CARAIBAM 01-25-2014 01:42 PM

Changed the genuine plugs for NGK IRIDIUM when changing my coils on my 2004 DB9,choosed as they are the high end of the NGK line but would not honestly say I saw any differences in use.

SaidK1985 01-26-2014 05:31 PM

so would you recommend those? im okay with the quality not necessarily improving. i have to replace the current plugs anyways so it's not like im spending extra money to get the work done. I just want to make sure the quality doesn't go down when i spend less on these.

Also are you talking about OE Laser Iridium (part #6741) or Iridium IX (part #3764)?

hph 02-20-2014 12:50 PM

Hi SaidK1985 Can you let me know which indie shop? My DB9 is at 66k miles now and will need to do the plugs and coils soon. Does yours use 3pin or 2pin coils? I've been trying to find out and can't find much info. Mine is 05 too. Thanks in advance.

CARAIBAM 02-20-2014 01:06 PM

I think I fitted OE Laser Iridium ,for the coils mine was the 2 pins you should ask your main dealer if yours is the 2 or 3 pins coils.Might be a good idea to source the parts in the UK,call rob at HWM he is very helpfull.The coils can be done by an average DIYer in about 8 hours.

hph 02-20-2014 03:36 PM

Thanks CARAIBAM. I'm planning to order from HWM or VelocityAP. I did ask my service advisor once and he said he won't be able to tell from VIN and he has to open it up to see. According to him there is not record of which models started using 2pin???? Sounds fishey but whatever. From what I've heard, some very early DB9's used 3pins and later ones use 2pin. Not sure if it is true :). Anyhow I'll call up HWM and hopefully they have some info. Btw, any pointers on the procedure? I'm planning to take it to my Merc shop and ask them to do it for me. Thanks again.

SaidK1985 02-20-2014 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by hph (Post 4052402)
Hi SaidK1985 Can you let me know which indie shop? My DB9 is at 66k miles now and will need to do the plugs and coils soon. Does yours use 3pin or 2pin coils? I've been trying to find out and can't find much info. Mine is 05 too. Thanks in advance.

Hey so this is the result of my research, and it took me forever! The OEM spark plugs have part number 07-85126. They have this number printed on them ptr6e-13.

The manufacturer for those is NGK. I called tech support, and the agent said they don't have ptr6e-13 for sale. I asked him to about AM and 07-85126, and he found that number in his system to be associated with ptr6d-13.

Then he said ptr6e-13 and ptr6d-13 (besides having almost the same number) also show the exact same specs, so what probably happened was the production of the ptr6e-13 was so minimal that they consolidated with ptr6d-13.

Basically, you pay close to $500 if you get ptr6e-13 from an AM dealer because they're in an AM box, or get ptr6d-13 for about $100 off of ebay in an NGK box, but they're the same.

Call NGK's technical support to verify:
http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/About_n...s.asp?mode=nml

SaidK1985 02-20-2014 03:53 PM

oh and regarding the pin coils, i had the 2pin coils, but both my independent shop AND the AM dealer who i had called to check prices for the parts suggested they'd have to get to the coils in order to see whether the 2pin or 3pin ones are inside. Apparently you can't tell by make, model, year, vin# etc so im with CARAIBAM on that one

CARAIBAM 02-20-2014 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by hph (Post 4052536)
Thanks CARAIBAM. I'm planning to order from HWM or VelocityAP. I did ask my service advisor once and he said he won't be able to tell from VIN and he has to open it up to see. According to him there is not record of which models started using 2pin???? Sounds fishey but whatever. From what I've heard, some very early DB9's used 3pins and later ones use 2pin. Not sure if it is true :). Anyhow I'll call up HWM and hopefully they have some info. Btw, any pointers on the procedure? I'm planning to take it to my Merc shop and ask them to do it for me. Thanks again.

Early DB9's used 2 pins ,would say 2004 and 2005 then switched to the 3 pins supposed to be more reliable.When you call Rob quote you are calling from Seb in France.:)
After changing the plugs and coils you will need to pay your main dealer a visit to reset the misfire corrections with the AM dignostic systeme.

dicktahoe 02-20-2014 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by SaidK1985 (Post 4031485)
Hi all,

so im about to get my '05 AM DB9 serviced, and the spark plugs are one of them items to be replaced. Im working with this independent shop that helps me to get the OEM parts online for cheaper, and they're charging half of what an AM dealer would have for the labor.

As for the spark plugs, the OEM ones cost about $400-$500. There are after market ones for a fraction of the price. Not that i want to feed my baby with junk, but sometimes the after market part are cheaper AND better, right? I wanted to see what you guys think of aftermarket spark plugs, if you guys recommend them, and maybe if anyone has used them in theirs or know someone that has?

This is one of the ones i was looking at http://www.autoanything.com/ignition...A5376A0A0.aspx

Let me know what you guys think. Many thanks in advance!
Said

First of all you need to decide "why you need new plugs". Plugs in modern ignition systems will last 100,000 miles and changing plugs is not a maintenance issue such as changing filters and fluids. If the car starts well, runs well, idles well and you have no decrease in MPG then consider not changing the plugs. If you do change plugs I'd get either Denso or NGK Iridium plugs.

SaidK1985 02-21-2014 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by dicktahoe (Post 4052670)
First of all you need to decide "why you need new plugs". Plugs in modern ignition systems will last 100,000 miles and changing plugs is not a maintenance issue such as changing filters and fluids. If the car starts well, runs well, idles well and you have no decrease in MPG then consider not changing the plugs. If you do change plugs I'd get either Denso or NGK Iridium plugs.

Correct. I took it in for inspection, they did the reading and it was showing misfires with codes pointing that way. When they got to the spark plugs they found one was burned and showed it to me. it also needed an ignition coil. not sure why only this one was affected, but they replaced all spark plugs, and they said i should be good with the other coils, no need to replace them all as they should last a good while.

CARAIBAM 02-23-2014 05:32 AM

I had also only one cylinder misfireing (11) but discovered oil ingresion in two other plug wells so also replaced the camshaft cover gaskets.Due to the job involved and the not so expensive cost of the coils (40/70£ X12) decided to change them all with plugs.I have also done the coils and plugs on my DB7 Vantage and the job on the 9 is more straithforward.

SaidK1985 02-24-2014 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by CARAIBAM (Post 4054235)
I had also only one cylinder misfireing (11) but discovered oil ingresion in two other plug wells so also replaced the camshaft cover gaskets.Due to the job involved and the not so expensive cost of the coils (40/70£ X12) decided to change them all with plugs.I have also done the coils and plugs on my DB7 Vantage and the job on the 9 is more straithforward.

Hi CARAIBAM,

it looks like I'm having a bigger issue here. Do you think you can have a look at my situation. I started a new thread as to keep it organized by topics. I'd appreciate if you have a look at it and see if you can give some valuable input:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post4055587