Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

2006 V8V / 10 month review

Old 01-29-2014, 01:33 PM
tko211 is a jewel in the roughtko211 is a jewel in the roughtko211 is a jewel in the rough
2006 V8V / 10 month review

Might be useful info for anyone considering saving some money by buying a used Aston Martin Vantage.

First Let me start by saying that after 10 months I am still in LOVE with the Vantage. It is a very special car and always reminds you of that fact. It reminds you in the way it drives, the build quality of materials used, and it always turns heads (at least with those that know what it is).

Here are some $ facts: Bought mine at a used exotic dealership in Texas. (not a certified used Aston Dealership) Cost was 55k. had roughly 32k miles and change.

In the first month it needed the following: total cost 4k and change.
-All 4 rotors replaced
-All 6 brake pads replaced (took FOREVER to break them in and stop making noise. REALLY pissed me off!)
-All 4 tires replaced
-Emergency brake cable assembly replaced
-Oil change

Month 4 some lame issues occured: total cost 4k and change.
-Passenger side headlight stopped "auto dipping" and needed to be totally replaced.
- side markers on driver side stopped working and determined needed to fully replaced
- Installation of the headlight was a BEAR, front bumper has to be removed so while it was off I had it repainted to make it fresh as new.

Month 9 decided to do some fresh fluid changes: total cost 700 bucks
-oil change
-transmission fluid change
-powersteering fluid
-all filters and stuff

Month 10 needed new rear tires!: total cost 700 bucks

Grand total so far has been averaging almost 900 - 1000 bucks per month for my car. That's an eye-opener for those that have been led to believe that it's only 100 buck per month or so for cost of ownership. I would like to believe that my headlight was a fluke that part costs 2,400 alone. not installed!

I'm sure that the previous owner knew to dump it just before it needed some TLC. So the rotors, brakes, tires, are somewhat expected on a 6+ year old car.

So my advice to anyone who like me, wanted to go used and let someone else take the huge depreciation hit: Take the time to have your used Aston Martin looked over by an Aston Martin dealership prior to purchase. Helps to have the peace of mind. Had I done that with mine I would have likely passed and waited for another 55k to 58k car to come along that didn't need quite so much so early on in my ownership experience.

Overall since those issues have been addressed and it's now in the hands of an owner who will take care of her well- My Vantage has been rock solid. No clutch issues, motor is very strong, gear box feels great. It's a dream to drive.

A MUST is an OBD reader to clear the occasional false code like the infamous filler cap / emission code thing. Happy motoring!

Old 01-29-2014, 02:14 PM
AXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to behold
My experience wasn't as bad or costly as yours… but then again when I purchased my 2007 AMV8 it was only 3 years old and had only 2,000 miles on the odometer. NOTE: I would reccommend changing the brake fluid if you didn't already do it with the brake service.
When I purchased (or leased) the 2013 Vantage S, the dealer allowed $55K on my trade which I was ok with… the third owner of that car got a great vehicle as I was nuts about having it maintained on a regular basis by my local AM dealer. Lets hope your next 10 months of ownership cost you zip, zero, zilch. Cheers, Dan

Old 01-29-2014, 02:25 PM
tko211 is a jewel in the roughtko211 is a jewel in the roughtko211 is a jewel in the rough
Dan,
Brake Fluid! Ah yes... That's a great idea! Thanks for the reminder- I knew I was missing something else that I thought might be just good measure. And yes, I am also hoping that my investment to this point is set for now and that I have another year or more to spread out the up front costs that I have put into mine so far. Brakes, Rotors, Fluids, Tires... All that I totally can live with. I think my headlight, sidemarkers, and e-brake assembly is all random stuff and doesn't appear to plague the AMV8 owner group as a whole.

Old 01-29-2014, 02:33 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Month 1: Four new tires.
Month 10: New rear tires.

Old 01-29-2014, 03:14 PM
yankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by telum01
Month 1: Four new tires.
Month 10: New rear tires.
How many miles added in those 10 months?

Old 01-29-2014, 03:16 PM
Yeah, I knew I would catch some hell for that... It wasn't due to tire smoking 11's burnt into concrete. Nope! it was simply the life of the tires being run out of them as I found every single stupid excuse to run an errand, take a leisurely drive, take a more spirited drive, and extend my business trips from flying ones into driving ones!

And for those that do NOT drive their Astons regularly- The rear tires do not last very long!

Old 01-29-2014, 03:20 PM
Originally Posted by yankee04
How many miles added in those 10 months?
roughly 11k. They still had some life in them when I replaced them but they were too low for cold roads and light winter use (I'm in Utah)... Had it been summer I bet I could have pushed them another 3-4k miles. Right before I replaced them, if there was any moisture on the road and with it being cold the back would feel way loose on the freeway.

Old 01-29-2014, 03:54 PM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
My Aston Experience

I bought my 09 with similar mileage (30k) but 'certified' from an Aston Dealer (Newport Beach) for $65,000. With a certified car it goes through a comprehensive inspection and replace or repair things that should be done. The certified status allowed me to get a 'new' warranty extension for 2 more years for about $6,000.

The only known problem was a tiny ding on the roof I got fixed for $50 from the dent-less repair guys. That's been my only out of pocket expense. I've driven the car about 3,000 miles.

I was originally looking for an 07 or 06 figuring that's the only thing I could afford - up to about $60K.

Boy am I glad that I waited... best news is that I actually got close to the colors I wanted! After this experience it would be difficult for me to buy an out of warranty or non-certified Aston again.

Old 01-29-2014, 04:44 PM
07sportspack will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by tko211
Yeah, I knew I would catch some hell for that... It wasn't due to tire smoking 11's burnt into concrete. Nope! it was simply the life of the tires being run out of them as I found every single stupid excuse to run an errand, take a leisurely drive, take a more spirited drive, and extend my business trips from flying ones into driving ones!
Ok, I really like your style. Someone who drives their Aston....for almost any reason. We need to compile a list of excuses to DRIVE. It could inspire others !

Old 01-29-2014, 05:25 PM
I distinctly remember one errand in particular. Wife says, Oh we are out of eggs, butter, and chocolate chips. I wanted to make cookies later tonight... I jumped off the couch turned off Top Gear UK eager to run the errand for her.

As I drove out of our subdivision I thought "the grocery store is just 1.5 miles away, but I know there is a new location that just opened up and it's about 12 miles away- I'll do that!" Then as I am mentally checking the short list of 3 items, a brilliant plan developed! If I forget the Chocolate chips I can return home only to then "discover" my error and then I would be sent out again!

AND- they don't sell chocolate chips at the local corner store so it's back to the full on grocery store 12 miles away! -Splendid!

Old 01-29-2014, 08:27 PM
spf1410 has a spectacular aura aboutspf1410 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by tko211
- they don't sell chocolate chips at the local corner store so it's back to the full on grocery store 12 miles away! -Splendid!
Outstanding!

Old 01-30-2014, 11:31 PM
XWCGT has a spectacular aura aboutXWCGT has a spectacular aura aboutXWCGT has a spectacular aura about
good information guys. I don't understand how you can go through tires in 10months.. and 10k miles. Im driving mine about the same. always looking for reasons to drive it.
you probably didn't need brake rotors, and you can chance the pads yourself to save cash. brake fluid is a good idea as was mentioned. Ive had the door locking computers changed out, which was $1800, so that was fun. all the hood, hatch and door shocks. (makes all the difference in the world. the doors stay open !!! )
and of course that nasty oil change at 13 bucks a quart! (did that myself though, but I figure its only every 4-5k miles or so)
Probably end up going up a tire size front and rear when its time, and that's a few months off.
overall, a fantastic car.... a dream car actually for me and im really liking it! nothing else really got me going like the AMV8. I wonder how the used car prices will hold up over the next 5-10 years.