6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Aston Martin (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin-39/)
-   -   Weird squealing/screech noise (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin/330412-weird-squealing-screech-noise.html)

Conqueror 02-27-2014 10:47 AM

Weird squealing/screech noise

I was on a business trip and my wife was driving the DB9 to work (I am not about to leave it at the airport parking :-) and about 1/2 mile from home took a downhill left turn and something started screeching.

She immediately did a u turn and took it home.

She thought it sounded like it was coming from the rear. A constant squeal/screech noise. We are going out tonight drive it around the driveway to try and pinpoint where it's coming from. I backed in and out of the garage last night and it sounds like something metal on metal somewhere.

My concern is not wanting to make anything worse. I have looked at the rotors and see no scarring or scratches. I was going to remove the wheels to get a closer look inside but my old floor jack doesn't even fit under the car :-)

Any ideas where to start without actually causing further damage?

UKRacer 02-27-2014 12:19 PM

A common problem is a stone getting stuck between the cover plate and disc - more of a grinding noise (when it happened to me)

Another common problem is a parking brake adjustment - this is a squeal at slow speed

hopefully this is your problem

V12Vantage 02-27-2014 12:33 PM

This happened me on my last car, it was a stone stuck between the brake caliper and the inside of the wheel rim. It cut a lovely groove right around my rim before it wore down and dropped out all before I got stopped to check it out.

jroback 02-28-2014 02:52 PM

I have had a noise like this from time to time as well. Nothing the dealer could find. Seems worse (but maybe just my imagination) when its cold out. If I find out anything, I'll let you know

BrentCobb 03-01-2014 08:05 AM

I had two sounds addressed before in my Vantage:

1. Horrible "scraping" / abrasive sounds from the rear was road debris between the heat shield and rotors. Drive slowly forward and reverse resolved the issue.

2. Squeaking almost like "bird chirping" from the front (although it sometimes sounded like it was in "surround sound") was a drive belt issue. A new drive belt resolved the issue. It started happening after a pulley was replaced under recall and the old belt was used.

Sometimes I hear a short "blahhht" almost flatulent sound from the engine on cold starts - sometimes, not always. Going to look into that one. :)

Fubar 03-01-2014 10:21 AM

Had the same issue yesterday. The brake pad sensor had come loose and found its way into precarious space between the disc and the dust guard. It made a wretched noise but caused no damage (expect to the sensor).

You might have to pop the wheel off to find the problem.

AMFixer 03-01-2014 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by BrentCobb (Post 4058958)
I had two sounds addressed before in my Vantage:

1. Horrible "scraping" / abrasive sounds from the rear was road debris between the heat shield and rotors. Drive slowly forward and reverse resolved the issue.

2. Squeaking almost like "bird chirping" from the front (although it sometimes sounded like it was in "surround sound") was a drive belt issue. A new drive belt resolved the issue. It started happening after a pulley was replaced under recall and the old belt was used.

Sometimes I hear a short "blahhht" almost flatulent sound from the engine on cold starts - sometimes, not always. Going to look into that one. :)

Brent, your third noise is the oil pressure relief valve noise from the front of the engine. Nothing wrong with it, noise is normal, but if you want it fix might be looking at a $4000 repair.