Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Anyone gut secondary cat '13 V8V?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 10:02 AM
Venum is on a distinguished road
Anyone gut secondary cat '13 V8V?

I've seen several posts on this topic but none provided clear definitive answers or results pertaining to the newer V8V's. Since there aren't any sensors in the secondaries, why not gut instead of installing 200 cell high flows? The car is on the lift now and I'm so tempted to pull and gut but wanted to know if its been done. Is the restriction from the secondaries needed for the primarys to work correctly? I'm also concerned about resonance and it being obnoxiously loud.

Old 03-01-2014, 10:12 AM
Basic Sponsor
Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Venum
I've seen several posts on this topic but none provided clear definitive answers or results pertaining to the newer V8V's. Since there aren't any sensors in the secondaries, why not gut instead of installing 200 cell high flows? The car is on the lift now and I'm so tempted to pull and gut but wanted to know if its been done. Is the restriction from the secondaries needed for the primarys to work correctly? I'm also concerned about resonance and it being obnoxiously loud.
On the later models that have separated primary/secondaries, you can gut the secondaries no problem. The only thing I find about gutting cats is sometimes they can become a little 'boomy' because there's a couple of little chambers there with nothing in them. That's why people often go test pipes.

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
Office: (1)250-485-5126
www.velocityap.com
Old 03-01-2014, 11:23 AM
AXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to behold
Stuart: Can you supply those "test pipes"?

Old 03-01-2014, 11:41 AM
Basic Sponsor
Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by AXARUNNER
Stuart: Can you supply those "test pipes"?
I can indeed. Let me double check, think it would be around $600-650. Considering they are bolt-in/out and could be swapped back for original cats & sold when you sell the car they are probably pretty inexpensive long-term.

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
www.velocityap.com
Old 03-01-2014, 01:43 PM
V12V will become famous soon enough
I have Stuarts test pipes on my V12V. Perfect fit and very nice sound enhancement. Highly recommended.

Old 03-01-2014, 08:34 PM
Thanks for your quick response Stuart. Nice to know there are a few options.

Old 03-15-2014, 11:37 AM
Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP
I can indeed. Let me double check, think it would be around $600-650. Considering they are bolt-in/out and could be swapped back for original cats & sold when you sell the car they are probably pretty inexpensive long-term.
Can you take the test pipes one step further and make an xpipe?

Old 03-15-2014, 12:06 PM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by Venum
Can you take the test pipes one step further and make an xpipe?
I think on the 12 cylinder cars it could be possible, the secondary cats/pipes are a little longer. On the V8, I honestly don't think there's enough room to get an X-pipe in there, the cat sections are not all that long. On all the cars they are fairly far apart, relative to the length of the part so it might end up being quite a severe part.

I suppose anything is possible. But we would need to bring a car back into our factory to develop that.

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
www.velocityap.com
Old 03-15-2014, 04:51 PM
TripleNet has a spectacular aura aboutTripleNet has a spectacular aura about
I have Stuarts 100 Cell's .....

They really come alive at 5k rpm .....

http://www.velocityap.com/Aston-Mart...mv8100cell.htm

Last edited by TripleNet; 03-15-2014 at 04:57 PM.