6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Aston Martin (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin-39/)
-   -   Just installed an "S" muffler in a '13 V8V (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin/331757-just-installed-s-muffler-13-v8v.html)

timwhayden 03-15-2014 10:58 PM

Just installed an "S" muffler in a '13 V8V

Man what a difference. This is an equal comparison as I have had fuse 15/22 pulled on both mufflers: The idle is somewhat louder but above 2000 or so rpm I would say it is 60% louder than the standard muffler. Also there is a nice burble on overruns that was not present before. I bought it used on Ebay and polished it to a mirror finish so it looks a lot better than the standard also (altho I could have polished it as well). I did not want it too loud (My Gallardo with an aftermarket exhaust is LOUD and I wanted this car a little more tame) which I was afraid the aftermarket exhausts would do so this is exactly the level I was looking for. It has really increased my driving pleasure and it was already very good before. I can highly recommend it to anyone that wants more sound but not too much.

forcefed1 03-16-2014 08:19 AM

I have not driven an S to know that the exhaust sounds that much different.
I assume you did not need to replace the whole exhaust but just the bolt on mufflers back.
what did you pay for the Ebay find?

007 Vantage 03-16-2014 10:54 AM

Awesome! Glad the exhaust polished mod worked out for you :)

timwhayden 03-16-2014 07:54 PM

007 Vantage: thanks again for the DIY post on polishing the muffler. Worked like a charm! Yes, I only replaced the rear muffler box. I found a used one with 5000mi on it for $750 shipped on Ebay which was by far the best deal I came across. The dealer wanted $3000 for a new one of the S or sport version, a vendor on this forum that is loved and well respected offered me a new one for $2750 shipped, and he was working on a used one around $1500 that he was trying to acquire. I had been looking for 4 or 5 months. And I paid my local mechanic around $350 to install it (he did not have to take off the rear bumper). Sure was worth the wait-now I know what all the S owners and reviewers were going on and on about.

007 Vantage 03-17-2014 08:41 AM

Well done! Great price. I am sure you can sell the stock boat anchor on ebay for probably half that (maybe more if you polish it up, just an idea). ;)

mantonkroh 04-16-2015 04:33 AM

Just for clarification . . .

Originally Posted by timwhayden (Post 4069126)
Man what a difference. This is an equal comparison as I have had fuse 15/22 pulled on both mufflers: The idle is somewhat louder but above 2000 or so rpm I would say it is 60% louder than the standard muffler. Also there is a nice burble on overruns that was not present before. I bought it used on Ebay and polished it to a mirror finish so it looks a lot better than the standard also (altho I could have polished it as well). I did not want it too loud (My Gallardo with an aftermarket exhaust is LOUD and I wanted this car a little more tame) which I was afraid the aftermarket exhausts would do so this is exactly the level I was looking for. It has really increased my driving pleasure and it was already very good before. I can highly recommend it to anyone that wants more sound but not too much.

Hi Tim,

Thank you so much for this posting. I have a 2013 AMV8V and I'm considering purchasing the Aston Martin Sports Exhaust (from the dealership or online). I just want to confirm this is the one you were referring to: http://www.astonmartin.com/en/access...sports-exhaust
Part #: 6G33-35-10541

What I hate is that the stock AMV8V exhaust note fades after I hit about the 2,300 RPM rate. Is that what you experienced too? Therefore, on the freeway, your exhaust must be much louder with the switch to the sports exhaust! :) By any chance, do you have a video of this exhaust note?

Thanks,
Manton

karlfranz 04-16-2015 07:03 AM

Manton, just so you know, Tim hasn't posted on this forum in about 8 months so don't be too surprised if he doesn't reply to your post.

FYI: The Aston Martin Sport Exhaust (AD23-5230-AE) is the same as the one on the N420 and V12V.

The V8V-S exhaust (BG33-5230-AB) which Tim installed is similar but still different from the Sport exhaust—it has more baffling so it's not as loud or deep as the Sport (but still louder and deeper than the standard exhaust).

I happen to be selling my Sport Exhaust which had less than 350 miles on it. Contact me privately if you are interested and want details since forum rules prevent us from advertising here.

karlfranz 04-16-2015 07:08 AM

Also, here's the best video I have found to highlight the difference between the standard exhaust and the sport exhaust.

mantonkroh 04-16-2015 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by karlfranz (Post 4325325)
Manton, just so you know, Tim hasn't posted on this forum in about 8 months so don't be too surprised if he doesn't reply to your post.

FYI: The Aston Martin Sport Exhaust (AD23-5230-AE) is the same as the one on the N420 and V12V.

The V8V-S exhaust (BG33-5230-AB) which Tim installed is similar but still different from the Sport exhaust—it has more baffling so it's not as loud or deep as the Sport (but still louder and deeper than the standard exhaust).

I happen to be selling my Sport Exhaust which had less than 350 miles on it. Contact me privately if you are interested and want details since forum rules prevent us from advertising here.

Thank you so much for the video. In addition, thank you for the insight. I will PM you.

timwhayden 04-17-2015 11:55 PM

Manton, I agree with Karl in that the S muffler is different and has a different serial # than the sport exhaust. There was another post last year I believe that rated the loudness of the different AM mufflers and their opinion was that the S muffler was a little louder than the sport muffler. However, I have not heard a V8V '09 and up 4.7 with a sport muffler in person. And I have read posts that the 4.3 sounds differently with the sport muffler than the 4.7 does. All that being said, the S muffler is about as loud as I want my Aston to be and is perfect for me with the fuse pulled at idle, lower revs and full song. But I totally respect Karl's opinion as well because of his considerable experience with Astons just as I respected his opinion on Lotus back when I had my Esprit!

karlfranz 04-18-2015 06:32 AM

He lives! Where have you been hiding, my friend?

RossL 04-18-2015 06:17 PM

I had stock, quiksilver and the S. The S was best by far!

timwhayden 04-18-2015 08:00 PM

Hey Karl! Super busy at the office, remodeling house and doing some of it myself, etc etc. I still try to look in on the Aston and Lambo boards when I can tho. Keep doling out the expert advise!

mantonkroh 04-20-2015 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by timwhayden (Post 4326325)
Manton, I agree with Karl in that the S muffler is different and has a different serial # than the sport exhaust. There was another post last year I believe that rated the loudness of the different AM mufflers and their opinion was that the S muffler was a little louder than the sport muffler. However, I have not heard a V8V '09 and up 4.7 with a sport muffler in person. And I have read posts that the 4.3 sounds differently with the sport muffler than the 4.7 does. All that being said, the S muffler is about as loud as I want my Aston to be and is perfect for me with the fuse pulled at idle, lower revs and full song. But I totally respect Karl's opinion as well because of his considerable experience with Astons just as I respected his opinion on Lotus back when I had my Esprit!

Thank you for the insight! :)

IbisRider 04-23-2015 05:26 PM

So Tim,
Still got that stock muffler? I'm about to take delivery of a '12 V8S and I'm pretty sure that after a few days I'll confirm that it's too loud for my boring taste.

I suspect that I may be the only person who ever bought an S and wanted it quiet. I love everything else about the S but I really prefer the stock growl. If yours isn't sitting in a corner, waiting for a UPS adventure to my house, I'll probably start eBay shopping soon.