Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

05 DB9 brake light reset after pad change..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 11:58 AM
05DB9jwhite is on a distinguished road
05 DB9 brake light reset after pad change..

Hey there,
Any idea how to reset my brake indicator light on 2005 DB9? I recently changed out my brake pads and zipped my worn sensors out of the way but I cannot get my brake indicator light to go away. I've tried the same procedure as to reset the "needs maintenance" light but no luck. Any solution? Thanks

Old 03-29-2014, 02:11 PM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
There is no rest procedure, the pad sensor is closed circuit when goody, when the pad wears and the sensor touches the disc, the sensor becomes open circuit and thus causes a light to come on...to clear the light replace the sensor.....

There is another way to clear the light without buying a new sensor, but I can't directly tell you for I am a certified tech..if you understood what I wrote above (closed vs open circuit), I'm sure you will be able to figure it out ;-)

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9
Office: (1)250-485-5126
Email: Tuning@VelocityAP.com

www.velocityap.com

Old 03-29-2014, 02:44 PM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
I'm NOT a certified tech....lol

Use some wire cutters - clip off the sensor and wire the two leads together. However, this is a hack mod and with a car this expensive surely the $ 10 new sensor* won't make or break you and it sounds like you do need them active because you're not watching your pad wear.

* I just replaced a brake sensor on my wife's Mercedes and it was $ 6.99 from Auto Zone. I ASSUME the AM sensor is either Volvo or Ford and likewise priced like that, but I don't really know.

Old 03-29-2014, 02:55 PM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
I'm not sure how much they are at retail, but your car has 4 sensors..they're not the same as a Ford or Volvo, suspension is different where clips attach..a Land Rover with brembo harness might fit but would not just glide into place, could always cut and attach the end piece..might be worth just to get the aston part, I have a bunch in my box as spares ;-)

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9
Office: (1)250-485-5126
Email: Tuning@VelocityAP.com

www.velocityap.com

Old 03-31-2014, 08:06 AM
dan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to all
Just buy new sensors. When I purchased mine I don't remember them being stupid expensive. Sometimes its worth the extra cost to have it done right!

Old 05-29-2014, 06:30 PM
Thanks irish07 your always a huge help on here. I just posted a new question about air con blowing hot air if you wanna take a swing at that one. As for buying the new sensors...its not about the cost. I changed to after market pads and there is no slot for the sensor.

Old 05-31-2014, 08:08 AM
zvez is just really nicezvez is just really nicezvez is just really nicezvez is just really nice
So just let me make sure I understand this. Assume this applies to vantage's as well. When ever you replace the braked pads you HAVE to replace the sensors?

Chris

Old 05-31-2014, 08:13 AM
Originally Posted by zvez
So just let me make sure I understand this. Assume this applies to vantage's as well. When ever you replace the braked pads you HAVE to replace the sensors?

Chris
Only if the sensors have touched the disc and were broken like mine are. If your sensors haven't touched yet and you change the pads then you can use the same sensors if the brake pads have the slot for the sensor.

Old 05-31-2014, 08:44 AM
zvez is just really nicezvez is just really nicezvez is just really nicezvez is just really nice
Thanks!

Chris

Originally Posted by 05DB9jwhite
Only if the sensors have touched the disc and were broken like mine are. If your sensors haven't touched yet and you change the pads then you can use the same sensors if the brake pads have the slot for the sensor.